Waived: Lilja

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
What the Wings need is a legit, top pairing right-handed defenseman.

I think we need to be prepared to move one of Kindl or Quincey + Flip and maybe a draft pick or prospect to get him.

There just aren't very many legit top-pair defensemen who are righthanded, and the few that are out there are not available. Even if they were available, it would take more than the Wings' spare parts and pending UFAs to get him.

The candidates:

Pietrangelo - high pick, not going anywhere.
Fugly - is he really a legit top pair guy?
Weber - really, really not going anywhere.
Boyle - old, small, not really a good complement to the current bunch.
Wideman - lots of points, can't play defense.
Bieksa - Nucks are going to hang onto him.
Letang - not great defensively, Pens aren't dealing him.
Burns - Sharks aren't dealing him, especially to the Wings.
Doughty - not going anywhere.
Seabrook - not going anywhere.
Subban - I really don't think the Habs let him get away. If they ever dealt him, it would take a hell of a lot more than a pending UFA, flaming back of poo, and a pick.
Carlson - maybe the Caps have soured on him, but I doubt it. Looong contract.
Bogosian - defensive play is dubious and they're probably not dealing him anyway.
Myers - not going anywhere.

Who else is out there that's righthanded and even remotely close to being a top pair guy? Erik Johnson? Yuck. Also, he's locked up and not going anywhere.

I'd agree, it'd be nice if the Wings could get a good top pair D that's a righty. But those guys don't grow on trees. If Sproul doesn't get there, this team may not have one for the next 10-15 years.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
What the Wings need is a legit, top pairing right-handed defenseman.

I think we need to be prepared to move one of Kindl or Quincey + Flip and maybe a draft pick or prospect to get him.
Good luck getting a legit top pairing defenseman with that package.

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
There just aren't very many legit top-pair defensemen who are righthanded, and the few that are out there are not available. Even if they were available, it would take more than the Wings' spare parts and pending UFAs to get him.

The candidates:

Pietrangelo - high pick, not going anywhere.
Fugly - is he really a legit top pair guy?
Weber - really, really not going anywhere.
Boyle - old, small, not really a good complement to the current bunch.
Wideman - lots of points, can't play defense.
Bieksa - Nucks are going to hang onto him.
Letang - not great defensively, Pens aren't dealing him.
Burns - Sharks aren't dealing him, especially to the Wings.
Doughty - not going anywhere.
Seabrook - not going anywhere.
Subban - I really don't think the Habs let him get away. If they ever dealt him, it would take a hell of a lot more than a pending UFA, flaming back of poo, and a pick.
Carlson - maybe the Caps have soured on him, but I doubt it. Looong contract.
Bogosian - defensive play is dubious and they're probably not dealing him anyway.
Myers - not going anywhere.

Who else is out there that's righthanded and even remotely close to being a top pair guy? Erik Johnson? Yuck. Also, he's locked up and not going anywhere.

I'd agree, it'd be nice if the Wings could get a good top pair D that's a righty. But those guys don't grow on trees. If Sproul doesn't get there, this team may not have one for the next 10-15 years.

According to Winnipeg fans on the trade board he's the next Ryan Suter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->