Post-Game Talk: Like Manti Te'o's girlfriend, the Oilers disappear. Lose 4-3

StanDarsh

Jan 24, 2012
@Soundwave, they do want these games more. Most fans in Calgary actually want Feaster to blow it up and go through a Edmonton rebuild. The players are very aware of this and it motivates them to prove everyone wrong. Also Iggy and Bouw love showing off for their friends in Edm and Kipper always plays good in big games. Duby seems to not have that mentality of being a game changer in big games.

SeriousBusiness

T.Hall da man
Oct 5, 2003
I didn't read through this whole thread, and I'm sure I'm repeating what everyone else has said, but what a pathetic effort. If this team can't get up for a game against the Flames, then I don't even know what to say.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
@Soundwave, they do want these games more. Most fans in Calgary actually want Feaster to blow it up and go through a Edmonton rebuild. The players are very aware of this and it motivates them to prove everyone wrong. Also Iggy and Bouw love showing off for their friends in Edm and Kipper always plays good in big games. Duby seems to not have that mentality of being a game changer in big games.

We need to start looking for a new goaltender then.

Fantasy Billionaire

Feel The Heat
Jun 22, 2009
Calgary
navarres.helo.life
@Soundwave, they do want these games more.
Most fans in Calgary actually want Feaster to blow it up and go through a Edmonton rebuild.
The players are very aware of this and it motivates them to prove everyone wrong. Also Iggy and Bouw love showing off for their friends in Edm and Kipper always plays good in big games. Duby seems to not have that mentality of being a game changer in big games.

Sorry I totally disagree with this statement. it is a small minority.

side note GDT bench clearing brawl video. Butt Hurt announcers were the great late Ed Whalen and John Davidson.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
I understand that these beatdowns are probably... fun... for Flames fans but based on the past three seasons it hasn't helped them in the standings. If I was a Flames fan I'd be beyond frustrated with these playoffesque efforts against the Oilers considering that they barely bother to show up against anybody else.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
I hope the whole season isn't this

Win 1 -- Yah! Playoffs.

Lose 1 -- OMG! We're not ever coming close to making a playoff berth!
Based on the amount of losing seasons we've had to endure and the increased expectations this year I'm not sure why you're surprised by the game to game reactions.

Despite the expectations there are A LOT of troubling signs four games in.

- Nobody can score outside of the top two lines (and really, that's on the strength of the PP) and Yak-Gagner-Hemsky are bleeding goals against.

- Horcoff is the only player on the bottom two lines with a point. A measly assist.

- Yakupov is the most physical forward on the team with four hits. FOUR!

- The defense is horrendous and Dubnyk is yielding 3 and a half goals a game.

- Despite 2 wins they haven't opened the scoring and have yet to take the lead in a game.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Based on the amount of losing seasons we've had to endure and the increased expectations this year I'm not sure why you're surprised by the game to game reactions.

Despite the expectations there are A LOT of troubling signs four games in.

- Nobody can score outside of the top two lines (and really, that's on the strength of the PP) and Yak-Gagner-Hemsky are bleeding goals against.

- Horcoff is the only player on the bottom two lines with a point. A measly assist.

- Yakupov is the most physical forward on the team with four hits. FOUR!

- The defense is horrendous and Dubnyk is yielding 3 and a half goals a game.

- Despite 2 wins they haven't opened the scoring and have yet to take the lead in a game.

Like I said earlier, this year isn't the year. It's still a developmental year, a transition year where the team gets better but not by a whole lot. I believe 2013-2014 has always been the target season. Still, we're watching the team transition from the cellar to contention, and it will happen within the next 2 years imo.

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
I wouldn't mind seeing 91-10-56 next game with Smyth getting PK and 4th line duties. Ryan Smyth, as much as we love the guy, has been looking like the NHL game is quickly leaving him behind.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
Like I said earlier, this year isn't the year. It's still a developmental year, a transition year where the team gets better but not by a whole lot. I believe 2013-2014 has always been the target season. Still, we're watching the team transition from the cellar to contention, and it will happen within the next 2 years imo.
What changes for next year? Smyth is signed through next year, same with Hemsky, Horcoff isn't getting bought out, Belanger has one more year left... Whitney is probably gone if this continues but really, that's about it. The pro scouting in this organization is horrid. There's a complete lack of foresight in upper management.

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
Next year we'll likely see ANOTHER rookie D man in Klefbom as well. Despite how good he is and how well he skates, he will definitely be getting exposed.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
What changes for next year? Smyth is signed through next year, same with Hemsky, Horcoff isn't getting bought out, Belanger has one more year left... Whitney is probably gone if this continues but really, that's about it. The pro scouting in this organization is horrid. There's a complete lack of foresight in upper management.

I believe management is going to go for it in the summer. I'm not sure it's the best thing for the organization, but it's the way I think things will go.

We'll also add Seth Jones or MacKinnon...

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I believe management is going to go for it in the summer. I'm not sure it's the best thing for the organization, but it's the way I think things will go.

iginla-jarome.jpg

:sarcasm:

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton

We'll also add Seth Jones or MacKinnon...
Disgusting.

Oilers fans to opposition fans - "This is our final first overall pick. We promise, k guys?"

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I think management is banking on another Top 5 pick this year, and then they'll look to add quality vets in the summer.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
I think management is banking on another Top 5 pick this year, and then they'll look to add quality vets in the summer.
Do you really see them using an amnesty buyout on a Horcoff or a Smyth? We need to clear some junk out before we can add something. And that's dependent on veterans actually wanting to sign here amidst another sub-25th place finish.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Do you really see them using an amnesty buyout on a Horcoff or a Smyth? We need to clear some junk out before we can add something. And that's dependent on veterans actually wanting to sign here amidst another sub-25th place finish.

It'll be fine, at least in terms of the cap. We have Khabibulin and Whitney's contracts coming off the books next year, and if I were a betting man, I'd say Khabibulin gets replaced by a cheap backup (either that or Dubnyk gets traded and we get another starter), and Whitney won't be re-signed at all. That's essentially 7 million off the books. That money will go towards a vet Top 4 defender and probably a vet forward as well.

Now in terms of vets actually wanting to sign here, well, if they don't, then management will probably get fired.

So either way I'm happy.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
I think that's where I am right now. If the team fails this year and Tambellini stands pat this summer then that should, should equal a change in management. I want to see the club succeed this year but at this point that's almost the best case scenario for this organization.

Provided that Kevin Lowe doesn't take the reins again.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'm not getting too carried away and I was at the game and being taunted by a drunken idiotic Flames fan behind me the entire third period (he kept mum the 1st two periods until he was sure the game was in the bag and then started chirping). So if anyone's pissed off it should be me.

They played well against LA and decent against Vancouver. Terrible against San Jose the first period, but good the last two periods (granted San Jose probably let up off the gas pedal).

This season will probably be a whole lot of that, up and down. I don't think they will finish in the bottom 4 though.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Just finished watching the game...a couple of observations.

The Flames deserved to win that game. Despite the very questionable 1st goal they still carried the play for most of the game.
The Oilers top 2 lines are all too often a defensive nightmare. The Flames imposed their will time after time in the Oilers D-zone.

Too much youth on the top 2 lines...some veteran ability (preferably with girt) is much needed.

Despite Gagners meaningless goal it was his worst game this season.
Horcoff and Smyth had terrible games.

Same goes for Hall.
RNH was schooled repeatedly in terms of his D-zone play.
Eberle was the best the of top line tonight.

Dubnyk had a good game...there were Flames in his face all night long. It was tough to see if the 2nd goal was tipped so I will give him the benefit of the doubt.
I actually felt sorry for him tonight watching that defensive s**t show in front of him.

Lots of work to do...this team wont come anywhere near a playoff spot until Tambo adds some additional pieces.

I could've called that Gagner would have trouble in this game. Gotta love his heart but I really felt like he's laid it on the line the first few games and especially against LA. Gagner knows nothing about pacing and I imagined he would've felt like he was hit by a Semi after all the energy he expended in the LA game. He had a ton of fight in that game but being a smaller player I bet it took a lot out of him. The body doesn't always repair this quickly.

Some small guys like Fleury had boundless energy and could play a lot of games with that energy level. I'm not convinced Gagner is there yet. I hope Buchberger takes him in stride for some more conditioning/strength training. Kelly is the best pure Oiler athlete I'd ever seen. He was a training superman in his playing days.

Heres something else. I'd imagine Horcoff over trains. All we ever hear about every offseason is his training intensity, who he's training with, how much, etc. Some guys can do the mega training bit and others get taxed by the same. Horc ALWAYS looks tired to me.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I didn't read through this whole thread, and I'm sure I'm repeating what everyone else has said, but what a pathetic effort. If this team can't get up for a game against the Flames, then I don't even know what to say.

Its not that simple. People always approach it thinking, well, we Beat Vancouver, and LA, quality clubs, so we should be able to beat Calgary. Trouble with that thinking is Flames are still a better club than we are. Most teams are. Its just on the nights where this Oilers club outmatches intensity or determination of an opponent they can get some wins here and there. But Calgary looks at a game like this and feel that they HAVE to win it. Flames exceeded our determination plus they're a better vet club to begin with.

There are few "should win" games on the calendar if you happen to be the Edmonton Oilers.

This was the Flames, and in Calgary, the favored team won.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad