Post-Game Talk: Like Manti Te'o's girlfriend, the Oilers disappear. Lose 4-3

Turrican*

N Schultz has been underwhelming all year and is contributing to breakdowns and out of position play. He was a nightmare in the SJ game, LA game, and now last night.

Where's his stellar, sound, positional, composed play. I keep looking for it. Meanwhile Gilbert is doing everything as advertized in Minnesota and has the best stats on the club. hmmm.

I think Edmonton is where players go to suck.
Doesn't matter how good you are somewhere else, if you come here. You will suck.

trent_vinyl

Jul 5, 2005
And Ryan Smyth is the most useless player on the team. He could never shoot or pass, but he can't even skate anymore. This guy is a good pk'er because things are moving slow, but he's useless otherwise.

I agree. His game has regressed so much it's almost sad to watch. I don't know how much longer you can continue playing him when it is so evident that he's a good step behind everyone else out there.

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
Just posted by David Staples.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhMC4T3agcfmdGJ0SmtVYnVZZ1VhaEhxa21yVF84aGc#gid=0

Smid, Petry and Nick Schultz were absolutely horrible against the Flames.

That's interesting, and I like the approach of using Neilson numbers, but understand that these numbers are also the opinion of one person, and the criteria being used should be explained.

For example, he says that Ryan Smyth made 3 poor plays in the game that contributed to scoring chances against, but, according to my count, he made three poor plays on the Flames' first goal alone:

1. a poor pass at the Flames' blueline resulting in a turnover
  2. floating on the backcheck (he took one stride from center ice to the goal crease), and failing to play the body or check Cammalleri as he cut across the ice right in front of him
  3. playing soft and losing a battle to the eventual goalscorer, Backlund, in the crease

Horcoff also floated down the ice and failed to pick up Backlund (the opposing center) on the backcheck on the same play, yet Staples didn't give Horcoff any errors for the game.

In my opinion, (i) turnovers and poor passes, (ii) floating and soft play, and (iii) losing battles and position should always be tallied as a negative play, but I don't think Staples is doing that.

The Perfect Human*

I agree. His game has regressed so much it's almost sad to watch. I don't know how much longer you can continue playing him when it is so evident that he's a good step behind everyone else out there.

I've been preaching this since game 1.

IMO there's only 2 things we can do with him:

1) Put him with RNH-Ebs --> similar to what DET did with Holmstrom around 2007-2008 when they put him with 2 ultra-skilled players like Datsyuk-Zetterberg. He knew to defer puck to them and go to the net (which Hall lacks the sense to do) - so let's see if there's chemistry there

2) Stick him on line 4 --> minimize responsibility and minutes at ES, and hope he understands.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
But Tamblowe won that trade. :sarcasm:

Virtually everybody on this board thought he did. Theres no doubt in my mind who the better player, and defencemen is. Never was a doubt.

Thing is, Minny is a better managed and coached club then Edmonton. Suddenly a player like N Schultz arrives here and soon after is playing confused looking hockey. Chronically out of position, overpursuing, overchasing puck, making poor reads, poor decisions, turning puck over on his blueline resulting in GA, several ill advised passes etc.

Schultz isn't being physical enough either.

Conversely, Gilbert, who did everything possible to rise above the chaos here is predictably looking like a good, sound, puck moving offensive and defensive D in Minny.

Who knew?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I think Edmonton is where players go to suck.
Doesn't matter how good you are somewhere else, if you come here. You will suck.

Its easily the worst managed and most confused club in the league. Its not surprising.

What is surprising is how little recognition players like Gilbert and Gagner get for enduring and playing through what they experienced for several years from an incompetent org.

If you can maintain a positive attitude, dedication, perseverence, hard work, in an atmosphere this club perennially creates you can play well anywhere. Probably better elsewhere.

The Perfect Human*

Virtually everybody on this board thought he did. Theres no doubt in my mind who the better player, and defencemen is. Never was a doubt.

Thing is, Minny is a better managed and coached club then Edmonton. Suddenly a player like N Schultz arrives here and soon after is playing confused looking hockey. Chronically out of position, overpursuing, overchasing puck, making poor reads, poor decisions, turning puck over on his blueline resulting in GA, several ill advised passes etc.

Schultz isn't being physical enough either.

Conversely, Gilbert, who did everything possible to rise above the chaos here is predictably looking like a good, sound, puck moving offensive and defensive D in Minny.

Who knew?

He always looked good to me. Very capable #3 defenseman capable of anchoring a 2nd pairing. He was always misused on this team though, thrust into the #1 role on many an occasion, where he struggled.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Four games in. Just saying. Again.

So its OK that a longtime veteran is looking as completely confused as Nick Schultz?

I shudder to think how bad N Schultz stats line would be right now were it not for J Schultz, a complete rookie, saving his bacon on every night.

How can a veteran D look this bad, and a rookie D look this good, when paired together?

I imagine nobody ever told N Schultz to be spending as much time as he does behind the net this year and last. or completely vacating his office in front of the net for prolonged periods of time while he chases and loses puck battles on the boards.

SChultz is competing with Whitney for the worst veteran D on the club award.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Just posted by David Staples.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhMC4T3agcfmdGJ0SmtVYnVZZ1VhaEhxa21yVF84aGc#gid=0

Smid, Petry and Nick Schultz were absolutely horrible against the Flames.

N.Schultz has been getting beat a lot so far this year, he keeps getting caught out of position and the puck is a grenade on his stick. I'm missing Gilbert right now.

But I'll give Elder Schultz a bit though to shake the rust off, he wasn't playing during the whole lockout and isn't exactly a spring chicken.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->