Post-Game Talk: Like Manti Te'o's girlfriend, the Oilers disappear. Lose 4-3

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
I found myself yelling a lot during this game, which isn't a good thing. Really pissed me off, still a bit unhappy today after it all. Really hope they bounce back vs COL.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
It should be noted that until that squeaker opening goal the Oilers were controlling the pace and were all over the Flames. Fragile team is fragile.

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
Very true, thats one of the problems of being such a young team.

I hate to sound like a broken record about this, but it's a frustrating (and I'm sure even more so for the guys playing) that that same goal was called back, by the same two clowns, two nights ago in Edmonton ... but two nights later its a good goal? Where is the consistency? I can understand if it was a different tandem of refs but the same two guys... just so bush league.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
Very true, thats one of the problems of being such a young team.

I hate to sound like a broken record about this, but it's a frustrating (and I'm sure even more so for the guys playing) that that same goal was called back, by the same two clowns, two nights ago in Edmonton ... but two nights later its a good goal? Where is the consistency? I can understand if it was a different tandem of refs but the same two guys... just so bush league.
We're all repeating ourselves. ;)

Like I said last night: Never underestimate the vindictive nature of National Hockey League officials. They definitely stuck it to the Oilers.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Just finished watching the game...a couple of observations.

The Flames deserved to win that game. Despite the very questionable 1st goal they still carried the play for most of the game.
The Oilers top 2 lines are all too often a defensive nightmare. The Flames imposed their will time after time in the Oilers D-zone.

Too much youth on the top 2 lines...some veteran ability (preferably with girt) is much needed.

Despite Gagners meaningless goal it was his worst game this season.
Horcoff and Smyth had terrible games.

Same goes for Hall.
RNH was schooled repeatedly in terms of his D-zone play.
Eberle was the best the of top line tonight.

Dubnyk had a good game...there were Flames in his face all night long. It was tough to see if the 2nd goal was tipped so I will give him the benefit of the doubt.
I actually felt sorry for him tonight watching that defensive s**t show in front of him.

Lots of work to do...this team wont come anywhere near a playoff spot until Tambo adds some additional pieces.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
I don't know if the Hall-RNH-Eberle line is a defensive nightmare. They're all on the plus side (+3, +2 and +2 respectively) despite struggling 5 on 5 but a strong defensive team can definitely stifle them in the neutral zone and stand them up at the offensive blueline.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I don't know if the Hall-RNH-Eberle line is a defensive nightmare. They're all on the plus side (+3, +2 and +2 respectively) despite struggling 5 on 5 but a strong defensive team can definitely stifle them in the neutral zone and stand them up at the offensive blueline.

Small sample size.
The season will start to expose their 5x5 play IMO...there are too many signs that suggest they will not be plus players much longer.
That line simply doesn't work IMO.
If the Oilers had any quality veteran depth at all that line should RNH, Eberle and a veteran player.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
Small sample size.
The season will start to expose their 5x5 play IMO...there are too many signs that suggest they will not be plus players much longer.
That line simply doesn't work IMO.
If the Oilers had any quality veteran depth at all that line should RNH, Eberle and a veteran player.
Oh, I generally agree that that line doesn't work 5x5; I just don't think that they're hurting the team (yet). There wouldn't be as much pressure on them to perform minute to minute if our ******* veterans were actually worth a damn.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Oh, I generally agree that that line doesn't work 5x5; I just don't think that they're hurting the team (yet). There wouldn't be as much pressure on them to perform minute to minute if our ******* veterans were actually worth a damn.

Completely agree.

Here's betting that Tambo does sweet 'f' all to address the issue.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I'm all for obtaining "quality veteran depth" to help out the top 6, but trying to obtain it without paying a steep price would be a tough trick to pull off, I think.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I hope the whole season isn't this

Win 1 -- Yah! Playoffs.

Lose 1 -- OMG! We're not ever coming close to making a playoff berth!

Lets see how they respond vs. Colorado.

I know he's not well liked by Oiler fans, but I think Brian Burke could probably do wonders with this group provided they get a goalie in place first. He's good at identifying and acquiring the support pieces, the problem in Toronto was they didn't have the primary pieces in place for him to work with at all.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
I say every single coach and player needs to take some blame for what I would have to say has been a lesser than expected EFFORT so far this year.
This is not a time to panic because fortunately the team is .500. This is a time for evaluation and to re-focus on what has been missing. The one thing that teams will not have the luxury of this year, due to the compressed schedule, is practice time. During the games, coaches will have to do more coaching on the bench and players will have to make adjustments.
At the end of the day this is a young team, they will make mistakes, there will be bad games, most of these young players will slump during the season. The Oil will be hard pressed to make the playoffs but I think all the fans are asking for EFFORT, positivity and play together as a team. We do not want to see whining, individualism and undisciplined or complacent play. Consistency with such a youthful team is a pipe dream but something we can work towards as an expectation.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
The RNH line looked good against LA at even strength, I still think if we give them some time they'll figure it out. They're just trying to do much off the rush. Also Hall should shoot it more often. His dekes work some times, but he should shoot the puck 90% of the time. Also the offense usually gains control of the puck of rebounds, so it would help them get the cycle going.

I'm hoping last night was an outlier, since the team wasn't having any problems shooting the puck the previous three games. I was sure that if they kept playing like they did against LA the goals would start coming fast.

McDreamy

Losing credibility
Feb 25, 2009
I thought RNH back checked pretty well last night.

Definitely did. He looks like he's really making an effort to improve his defensive game, and it's already much better than last year. His stick lifts are a thing of beauty.

StanDarsh

Jan 24, 2012
I think its apparent that there needs to be size added somewhere in this lineup. I heard that RNH is up to 185 lbs this year, so that shows he is commited to getting stronger/bigger hopefully by next year he gets even stronger and perhaps a little bigger. I see him as one of those guys with loads of talent and so close to just being a top elite player if he can just get stronger, he would create even more space for himself and his linemates. I will cross my fingers for that.

On a side note, Calgary played like it was game 7 of the Stanley Cup. I have watched them for the past few years and they always play their hardest against the Oilers, its really weird that they don't play with that intensity for most of the year. They were just the more desperate team. I think here in Calgary the flames are tired of hearing about how great those Oiler kids are. Funny thing is fans of the flames here are envious of the young guys in Edmonton.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yeah the RNH line was able to cycle and pin the Kings in own zone pretty well, even in the Vancouver game they were OK.

Not sure what it is about the Saddledome that gives us such problems.

I think the Flames just want to win those games more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad