Post-Game Talk: Like A Mother(load) of Goals: 14-6-3, with depth!

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I agree with this. Neal is completely useless and stopped skating on the second line. There were a few plays where he was actually worse than Lucic in terms of effort. Puck in the corner and he slows down. He's lucky that he's putting in PPGs or he'd be a complete train wreck.

HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Flames fan please leave. Why is this guy even on this board? No life?

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
When I meant we deserved to lose this game, I meant "we" as in the Oilers. The first period was a joke. Sharks with 18 shots and Oilers with 9. Kosko saved us.

Yep totally deserved to lose.

I mean we only won the special teams, HDCF and xGF battles tonight...

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I will say one thing about Klefbom: 1st in TOI/GP in the league, and also quietly at 7th overall in D man scoring (or 12th really but with the same amount of points as the 7th, less goals though). That is pretty awesome, even though the D men scoring race is kind of odd this season with Carlson putting up points like no other.

Being a Swede it is also great to see him tied with Hedman in D men scoring among the Swedes. Agree or not, but Swedes are pretty happy about our D development lately, and seeing Klefbom at the top of a list which includes Hedman, Karlsson, Klingberg, OEL, Dahlin and Ekholm is impressive and I am happy for him. Especially considering his struggles over the last couple of years.

Broberg also coming in

Reactions: gordonhught

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I have alot of time for Russell on 3rd pairing LD. He looks extremely comfortable there and brings value both on ice, and as a good locker room guy. I also couldnt be more happy Bear is stepping up and able to lock down the 2nd pair RD spot

I am shocked. Weren't you in the group that earlier said Russell was horrible in the advanced stats and should be removed asap?

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Great game a big win. Depth scoring, strong goaltending, blocking shots, full team effort for a whole game. Lots of good in this game.

What really stood out to me in this game, when they mentioned our special teams stats. #1 PP and #3 PK in the league (as of today). This isn't a small sample size anymore. Very impressive!

Reactions: nally

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
I have alot of time for Russell on 3rd pairing LD. He looks extremely comfortable there and brings value both on ice, and as a good locker room guy. I also couldnt be more happy Bear is stepping up and able to lock down the 2nd pair RD spot
Russell is okay as the third pairing LD but he needs a strong puck moving and skating partner to cover for his lack of ability to break out, and tendency to starfish. Russell and Benning just doesn't work for me at all. A third pairing can have one of them but not both. No NHL level D pairing should consist of two people completely lacking in any form of breakout ability.
Russell is an ideal number 7 at this point in my eyes. A heart and soul guy who puts it all on the line every shift but doesn't need to dress every game.

Benning can anchor a third pair imo.
Nurse Bear
Klef Larsson
Jones Benning
Russell

With Lagesson filling in for injuries as first call up.

I always wonder what coaches see in pairings like benning and russell, because it feels like every year we have at least 1 pair that drags every forward group down in terms of possession and break outs because they don't know how to find them with a pass. As much as I'm sure a coach isn't going to trust a rookie dman the same way he would trust russell, but with klef/larsson and Nurse/Bear eating up so much time, how much worse could a jones benning pair be than russell benning?

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
When I meant we deserved to lose this game, I meant "we" as in the Oilers. The first period was a joke. Sharks with 18 shots and Oilers with 9. Kosko saved us.
We were watching much different games my friend. Aside from that one flurry of chances when they ended up scoring off the lucky bounce I can probably count the rest of their good scoring chances on one hand. The sharks threw so many shots from the outside with no screens and no traffic. Oilers had way way way more quality scoring chances in this game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad