Post-Game Talk: Like A Mother(load) of Goals: 14-6-3, with depth!

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
We were watching much different games my friend. Aside from that one flurry of chances when they ended up scoring off the lucky bounce I can probably count the rest of their good scoring chances on one hand. The sharks threw so many shots from the outside with no screens and no traffic. Oilers had way way way more quality scoring chances in this game.

You’re using the term “my friend” pretty liberally there.

Reactions: McFlyingV

DethOfDragnz

Sep 22, 2010
Edmonton, AB
It's surprising how good the team looks this year compared to last year. Despite how terrible the 2018-19 season was the Oilers only missed a playoffs spot by 11 points. So if they won 6 more games they could have been in the playoffs. The biggest changes to me is Goaltending, I have always thought Mike Smith was a great goaltender and Mikko Koskinen I have liked a lot too it looks like he has really worked on his game since last season and is not getting beat as easy this year (especially on the glove side). Ethan Bear is my biggest surprise this kid really worked hard and did what his coaches/trainers told him and he is looking like a top d-man now. I was very worried at the start of the season with the Oilers losing Sekera that we'd have a huge hole in defense but Ethan Bear has come in and filled that role. Also No more Lucic and Jame Neal looks to have a bounce back year, lastly Oilers seem to have more speed guys like Gaetan Haas can lead the pace and the Oilers aren't playing catch up all the time like last year.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Russell is okay as the third pairing LD but he needs a strong puck moving and skating partner to cover for his lack of ability to break out, and tendency to starfish. Russell and Benning just doesn't work for me at all. A third pairing can have one of them but not both. No NHL level D pairing should consist of two people completely lacking in any form of breakout ability.
Russell is an ideal number 7 at this point in my eyes. A heart and soul guy who puts it all on the line every shift but doesn't need to dress every game.

Benning can anchor a third pair imo.
Nurse Bear
Klef Larsson
Jones Benning
Russell

With Lagesson filling in for injuries as first call up.

I always wonder what coaches see in pairings like benning and russell, because it feels like every year we have at least 1 pair that drags every forward group down in terms of possession and break outs because they don't know how to find them with a pass. As much as I'm sure a coach isn't going to trust a rookie dman the same way he would trust russell, but with klef/larsson and Nurse/Bear eating up so much time, how much worse could a jones benning pair be than russell benning?

The Russell-Benning has been good to great in their role this season.
Honestly, I don't know how anybody can complain about this pairing outside of inherent biases.
Russell is much more suited for that role than Jones right now. Russell is a lot better than a #7.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
The Russell-Benning has been good to great in their role this season.
Honestly, I don't know how anybody can complain about this pairing outside of inherent biases.
Russell is much more suited for that role than Jones right now. Russell is a lot better than a #7.
I wouldn't say complain but Lagesson/Jones and Persson can do the same job for a lot less which frees up cap space for help on forward.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I wouldn't say complain but Lagesson/Jones and Persson can do the same job for a lot less which frees up cap space for help on forward.

Based on?
Russell-Benning has been one of the best 3rd pairings in the league this season. If they can get value for them, I'd have no issue dealing them but that's a big if.
I do think this is the perfect time to sell high on Benning though.

Last edited:

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Based on?
Russell-Benning has been one of the best 3rd pairings in the league this season. If they can get value for them, I'd have no issue dealing them but that's a big if. I do think this is the perfect time to sell high on Benning.
Based on Jones and Persson playing higher up than Russell and Benning and not looking out of place. Exactly how you said it, now it's time to sell high on both Ds

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Based on Jones and Persson playing higher up than Russell and Benning and not looking out of place. Exactly how you said it, now it's time to sell high on both Ds

I'd rather keep Russell for the playoff run, he's the only older vet that they have. I doubt they find a taker for him anyway with the extra year on the contract.
Benning is a prime trade candidate as long as his injury isn't too serious. He's played well but he's a luxury right now, is at peak value and they need to get one of these young guys in there.

Reactions: ujju2

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I'd rather keep Russell for the playoff run, he's the only older vet that they have. I doubt they find a taker for him anyway with the extra year on the contract.
Benning is a prime trade candidate as long as his injury isn't too serious. He's played well but he's a luxury right now, is at peak value and they need to get one of these young guys in there.

Agreed. Russell will be useful for the playoffs (as will Larsson). Benning is replaceable. With Larsson back we won't need Benning's physical game as much either. Jones or Persson slots onto a third pairing with Russell pretty well.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Do you want to go into the playoffs with the same group of forwards? Russell still has value. Moreso than Gagner, Manning and Chiasson etc. With Larsson coming back, we are even more tight on $$$

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Do you want to go into the playoffs with the same group of forwards? Russell still has value. Moreso than Gagner, Manning and Chiasson etc. With Larsson coming back, we are even more tight on $$$

His contract kills his value and not necessarily the cap hit, it's the extra year.
Benning is younger, cheaper and right handed. He's your trade piece to bring in a quality middle 6 forward.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I'm getting that jersey too...how's it look? : )

It’s good! I got it from Fanatics and they used press on numbers and letters so that was disappointing. But it’s not the pro jersey so I guess I got what I paid for!

Reactions: nally

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009

Agreed.

Nurse / Bear
Klefbom / Larsson
Russell / Benning
Jones, Manning, Persson, etc.

OR

Nurse / Bear
Klefbom / Persson
Jones / Larsson
Manning

Personally, I do not see that big a drop off in defensive quality. Maybe you do not move Russel AND Benning, but you could easily move one or the other and get something decent back.

On the PK you run Nurse, Bear, Klefbom and Larsson.

kevy999

Sep 12, 2016
They’d have to go full nuclear in LA tonight as we always struggle in Vegas it seems.
We always struggle in l.a. too lol l.a will come out hard at us and if we don't play our best we will be killed. People are delusional looking at the Kings record and thinking this will be anything but a very tough game.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
We always struggle in l.a. too lol l.a will come out hard at us and if we don't play our best we will be killed. People are delusional looking at the Kings record and thinking this will be anything but a very tough game.
The Kings have the worst PK and 3rd worst PP, so that's not going help their cause.

Did you also assume the Avs were going to give the Oilers a "kick in the dick"? Because maybe you aren't well versed on this team.

kevy999

Sep 12, 2016
time to stomp LA tonight. WE NO LONGER FEAR CALIFORNIA TEAMS. say it with me
It is fans like you who make me laugh. To disrespect any team in this league is absurd and will come back to bit you in the ass. L.A will stomp us if we don't play our best game and outwork them. Any team can beat any team in this league and L.A can kick the ass out of any team on any given night too. You better hope the Oilers are focused and come on strong or they will get their ass handed to them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad