Post-Game Talk: Like A Mother(load) of Goals: 14-6-3, with depth!

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
My favourite play of last night was when Bear had to retrieve a puck from behind the net and had three Sharks converging on him while his back was to the play; he outmuscled the first Shark and outsmarted the other two and managed to make a nice outlet pass
This play was amazing and I wish more of our dmen had this poise. If that is Russell, that is quickly and blindly banked off the glass high and hard and possession is gone. Bear makes so many little plays where we are not giving the puck back to the opposition for no reason. It is huge.

Reactions: 5 14 6 1

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Someone said Brian Rafalski as a comparison for Bear, and IMO that's a solid comparison. Their size, skating, handling of the puck, quick outlets and no fear when walking the offensive line with the puck or sliding in to the circle without the puck are very similar. I doubt we'll see the same kind of offensive output, but there's some comparisons there for sure.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
I'd like to think Bear has pretty good mobility.

So is Visnovsky and Rafalski more comparable than Ellis?

Bear is a bit unique to me. Not a great skater (average). Not that big. Not that strong.

Vision and poise with the puck is exceptional.

I can't come up with a good comparable.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Um, Ellis is not that great of a skater either and Bear has a big shot. It's not that lofty of an expectation.

Personally, I like the Rafalski comparison. The skating stride, the poise. Very similar styles IMO.
Yup, I think Rafalski's a closer comparison but Bear's gotta skate a bit faster and be more mobile.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Yup, I think Rafalski's a closer comparison but Bear's gotta skate a bit faster and be more mobile.

For sure. His skating is much improved but he can still use some work with his straight line speed in particular, edgework is very good. Kind of the opposite of Bouchard in that sense whose lateral movement is very rough but skates fairly well in a straight line.

kevy999

Sep 12, 2016
How the heck did Draisaitl get that 2ndary assist? I missed that.....talk about squeezing out a garbage point.[/QUO lol so how long have your pretended to be an Oiler fan lol I am surprised anyone takes you seriously. I guess we have to just play along lol

StupidGenius

Apr 1, 2013
YEA that's who I was thinking of.

Damn.. I remember being hype for the twin Slovak towers lolol Oh boy

I still fondly remember Glencross saying he wanted to "re-sign and be a part of the dynasty they're building here" during his exit interview. Oof.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Bat the puck out of the air above the shoulder....that is epitome of reckless and stupid.
He wont get a suspension but he should.

On this train of thought. If a guy throws a body check and the primary point of contact is the head resulting in injury, it's typically a suspension. In the case, Kane swung his stick heavily where the primary point of contact was to the head resulting in an injury. I'm not sure why the league doesn't address these the same.

Frankly the way guys are swinging sticks at pucks high now is getting to be a pretty common thing with how good their hand/eye coordination has gotten. The league may want to consider at some point banning high sticks in general whether you contact a player, a puck or even nothing at all.

Vader611

Nov 8, 2019
For sure. His skating is much improved but he can still use some work with his straight line speed in particular, edgework is very good. Kind of the opposite of Bouchard in that sense whose lateral movement is very rough but skates fairly well in a straight line.
If he added straight line speed he would be scary. I think his skating is very good when combined with his IQ for the game, he really improved it like Drai did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad