Liiga 2016-2017 General Talk

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
Can somebody tell me something about Toni Söderholm?

Solid two-way player who reads the game well. Very good on the powerplay with a strong shot. Was injured for much of the last season, and has gotten a bit slower and lost some mass over the years, but can still be a very effective player in all situations. Also brings tons of experience, leadership and professionalism. Captained HIFK three times in his career including last season, and was selected as league MVP in the championship run in '11.

Sad to see him go if the rumours turn out to be true...

CroKaas

Jan 17, 2012
Munich
Solid two-way player who reads the game well. Very good on the powerplay with a strong shot. Was injured for much of the last season, and has gotten a bit slower and lost some mass over the years, but can still be a very effective player in all situations. Also brings tons of experience, leadership and professionalism. Captained HIFK three times in his career including last season, and was selected as league MVP in the championship run in '11.

Sad to see him go if the rumours turn out to be true...

It sounds like he will join the Red Bulls in the DEL, so he would be a boost for our defense? My only problem is his speed because of his age.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I don't like how Nelonen keeps putting these former players as analysts when there's other options (that aren't biased) available, their homerism is unbearable.

Niinimaa is an above average analyst, but he shouldn't be calling Kärpät games. Same thing with Kölli in the Tappara/HIFK series. This isn't FoxSports <insert area name> games where they're calling the games to a specific audience and can sound as homer as they want. Ruins the experience.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Looking forward to seeing the ratings for today's Lukko-Tappara game. Went over 4 hours (triple overtime) and on free tv.

Last edited:

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
I don't like how Nelonen keeps putting these former players as analysts when there's other options (that aren't biased) available, their homerism is unbearable.

Niinimaa is an above average analyst, but he shouldn't be calling Kärpät games. Same thing with Kölli in the Tappara/HIFK series. This isn't FoxSports <insert area name> games where they're calling the games to a specific audience and can sound as homer as they want. Ruins the experience.

They need some Denis Potvin :sarcasm:

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Kärpät haven't lost 3 games in row all year, pretty impossible task for Tappara.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland

I see your homerism and raise it with Timo Jutila being the colour commentator next to Mika Saukkonen, Kärpät-Tappara finals 2004/5 or so? The series where Esa Pirnes (in a Tappara jersey) got 3 overtime game winning goals or something?

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I see your homerism and raise it with Timo Jutila being the colour commentator next to Mika Saukkonen, Kärpät-Tappara finals 2004/5 or so? The series where Esa Pirnes (in a Tappara jersey) got 3 overtime game winning goals or something?
That's pretty bad, but then again, Juti did commentary for all the games they broadcasted, so it's not like they could have changed him all of a sudden.

Coincidentally, they stopped using Niinimaa after Game 1 and he hasn't even been in the studio. Kölli is a decent analyst when he doesn't have his own cow in the ditch, Suikkanen is blunt but alright, Kivi fits more in the studio.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
All that $$ spent on high priced (foreign) players and at the end of the day, three of Kärpät's own boys carry them + one more scores the OT winner.

Goes to show how you really can't buy a championship in this league.

Risingwind

Feb 26, 2015
So, we got the next Prime Minister, we got Miss Finland, and now we got the hockey championship too. Guess we can just move the capital to Oulu. Lets see if Puljujärvi gets 1OA next year, but should be up there anyway...

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
All that $$ spent on high priced (foreign) players and at the end of the day, three of Kärpät's own boys carry them + one more scores the OT winner.

Goes to show how you really can't buy a championship in this league.

Iivana Humlikainen and Aatami Masuri but who's the third?

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
It sounds like he will join the Red Bulls in the DEL, so he would be a boost for our defense? My only problem is his speed because of his age.
I dont think DEL is as fast game as Liiga so he might do ok.

His career is ending and probably wouldnt have got contract with IFK anymore. Last cashing in DEL. This is from work colleague's words who is old school IFK fan.

Last edited:

CroKaas

Jan 17, 2012
Munich
Can someone compare Toni Söderholm and Hannu Pikkarainen.
Player Types? Role in the team? Better Player?

Thx

Ciccarelli

Uncle Gelart
Dec 17, 2005
Can someone compare Toni Söderholm and Hannu Pikkarainen.
Player Types? Role in the team? Better Player?

Thx

Similar players in the sence that they are both offensive minded d-men with a decent frame. The biggest difference between these two guys is their mind sets. Söderholm is a leader, very liked guy on and off the ice. Pikkarainen is pretty much the opposite, very talented but lazy and not too keen on winning. Pikkarainen might have higher potential but also bigger chance to bust completely if he doesn't like it over there. Söderholm is a safe bet to do very well in DEL.

My personal prediction: Söderholm, a leader in the team, highly liked guy among team mates and fans, 0.5-0.6 points per game, solid defensively as well.

Pikkarainen, some very good games but more bad ones, alot of mistakes in the own end of the ice, issues with his attitude, benched for some part of the season. 40 games 15-18 points, -10.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad