Post-Game Talk: Lightning Strikes! Habs lose 4-1 to Tampa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
And you know this from how he's looked as a literal teenager in the NHL?

PK Subban was an all-around, all-purpose point producing d-man and he was criticised for not being "better defensively". Face it, some fans have no idea how to rate point producing d-men.
I never thought that of PK Subban, if anything I thought his defensive game was more polished than his offensive game, so this comment of yours is completely irrelevant

ROEN

Writes for Habsworld
Feb 18, 2008
www.habsworld.net
Price allows 11 goals on this home stand
That’s just not good enough
He’s just not a game changer anymore
. This contract is gonna bite the next GM of the Habs in the ass
Don’t care about age but Rinne just got a 2 year extension for 5 million a year. Ok....

I don't think you're completely wrong but I think the realization that he can't give this team a chance to win every night is something the Habs brass will fight to admit for a long time.

If Price becomes a form of Rick Dipietro ... tho ...

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Would rather they send Juulsen or Mete down and keep Alzner here. But maybe your right he can't hurt them much at this point other than taking ice time from a kid?

You know those long shot odds? I'm secretly hoping that one of these three extremely unlikely things would happen if Alzner is sent down (in order):

1. Someone desperate picks him off waivers, figuring that he just needs a change of air (Unlikely, but let's keep in mind that Alzner was well-regarded by many before coming to Montreal)
2. Nobody picks him up and disgusted by the perspective of riding in a bus, Alzner refuses to comply and/or retires so the Habs get rid of him.
3. He accepts to go down and miraculously improves and/or helps other players.
4. If none of these things work, the Habs buy him out.

Yeah, I probably should stick to lottery tickets. Better odds (except number 4, I think this could happen). But I've never liked or believed in this guy and don't think it's productive to have him either on ice or off. They need to get rid of him. Especially with the potential surplus of players that could happen. Nobody deserves to be lost on waiver more than Alzner.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I can't see him walking away from 6M in salary this year and 16.625M overall minus whatever he's made so far this year.
By being done I mean he is no longer part of the team’s core and will be nothing but a spare part. He is very lucky he landed this payday because it is his last.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I don't think you're completely wrong but I think the realization that he can't give this team a chance to win every night is something the Habs brass will fight to admit for a long time.

If Price becomes a form of Rick Dipietro ... tho ...

Price and Dipetro aren’t comparable. They both had bad contracts but that’s about where the comparison ends. Price was one of the best goaltenders in the league for almost a decade when he got his big pay day while Dipietro did absolutely nothing but live off of his draft status and have a couple of average seasons as a starter. Dipietro started 60+ games once after his extension and would play less then 30 games every season after during his prime years. Not to mention the cap was half of what it was now in 06/07 and $4.5 million would work out very close to what Price’s cap percentage is now even with a 15 year cap circumventing contract.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Would he provide value? That's a good point. Alzner seems like a quality person, so I don't think he will go down there sulking. His best value, I suppose is that he can show these guys what it takes to be in the show... almost like a mentor.... and maybe he is still quality enough to help that team win games, which seems to be an issue right now

I wasn't really thinking of whether he offers value in the AHL, TBH. I just can't remember a precedent of a team sending a guy for the nest 3-4 years to sit on his butt and collect a handsome paycheque. It almost sounds like the firing of a coach, except alzner probably would never be employed as a d-man again.

Yashin?

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
A few years ago, Price had a much bigger impact on the ice than guys like Matthews and Tavares. He just hasnt come back to that level yet

That may be a bit of an exaggeration, but he was certainly most valuable to his team, and obviously the best goalie. He may never have a season like that again. In the history of the league we've seldom seen that dominance in goal, and he might not come close to repeating.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
By being done I mean he is no longer part of the team’s core and will be nothing but a spare part. He is very lucky he landed this payday because it is his last.

if he ends up having any more kids he really should name one after MB. He's making 12M for this season and last alone. Holy shit is that bad.

Reactions: Tyson

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

Hmm, I seem to remember he went to the KHL, actually. My guess is that there was a mutual termination of the contract before he left.

Edit: He was bought out in 2007..... around the same time he went to the KHL

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad