Post-Game Talk: Lightning Strikes! Habs lose 4-1 to Tampa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The loss is on me guys....sorry. I am 0-4 at the bell center....first time they actually scored when I went to a game though...so i am making progress.

Seriously why do i do this to myself? Not cheap....love coming to montreal though...great city.
Next time go see us play the Bruins. Then you'll get to see a win,

Reactions: Rapala

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Scapegoats of the game (other than the goalie?):

Drouin, Hudon, Deslauriers

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Shitty call on Deslauriers. Hudon however can't try that Pee fn Wee play with Danault open and two feet away. That killed us more than Deslaurier's hit IMO. Tampa were always going to find their legs regardless. People need to face the reality. As much as we like the effort, this team will need to play flawless hockey to win against the top tier. Unfortunately we aren't close to having that type of personnel.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
The second period was great, but once again we couldn't score on the other team's goalie. Wonder what that feels like.

Habs also blitzed the lightning in the first half of the first period. Overall, they had their chances, but Vasilevsky was really good when those high degree scoring chances came through.

Its kinda frustrating to watch the habs not being able to finish their chances, but then a guy who was invisible for most of the night (Stamkos) ends up with 2 goals. Its like the habs have to scratch and claw, but tampa has guys who can score in their sleep.

This game showed the difference between good players who work hard, and elite talent players.

Reactions: Forum93 and CHarlie

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I see people are hard on Drouin but what do people think of Sergachev tonight. The little offensive skill he has is completely overshadowed by how much of a liability he is in his own end. To be honest, at this point, not sure i take Sergachev over Drouin.

Drouin is a Hab Sergachev is not.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
My comment wasnt really about Sergachev vs Drouin...

As I've said from the beginning, I think its a trade that both teams will be satisfied with and I think people reaching conclusions on who won the trade after 1yr are way premature.

It was more of a comment about Sergachev and his play this year, he hasn't progressed the way his talent level suggests he should and he's still struggling with the same issues that have plagued him.

Its even more evident now as he's not benefitting from.the sheltering he usually gets when Hedman is playing.

Furthermore, him playing 15mins last night just reinforces what I said about how he doesn't inspire trust.

I'm not satisfied. Drouin isn't going to get better.

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
I'm not satisfied. Drouin isn't going to get better.

I think we've seen enough of JD at this point to make the statement of "what you see, is what you get". Over 90 games in the CH. Thats not a massive sample size, but enough to draw conclusions which should be valid.
Unless he's paired with the likes of Sid or Mcjesus he isn't going to get any better then what he currently is.

Whatever is going on with him, I just want him to figure it out.
I do not want him to get the special treatment (lol I know right?) and if he deserves to be DEMOTED to the 4th line like many players before him for THERRIBLE play...then it shall be done.

In unrelated news regarding things that will never happen.... The entire world realizes that climate change is a big issue and actually does something impactful about it. :clittle:

Reactions: Rapala

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Ouellet has played fairly well but he isn't as good as Schlemko imo

Ouellet has surprised me. He kinda fits as a bottom pair dman in today's NHL. I mean the goal is to have even better players on the 3rd pair eventually, but he hasn't exactly looked out of place.

He's not near the constant liability I thought he would be.

Reactions: WhiskeySeven*

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Ouellet has surprised me. He kinda fits as a bottom pair dman in today's NHL. I mean the goal is to have even better players on the 3rd pair eventually, but he hasn't exactly looked out of place.

He's not near the constant liability I thought he would be.

i've been surprised by him as well, I don't think he's been that good but since the Wings didn't even want him on their D, I thought he was a Laval signing. That said with Schlemko back soon, I assume he goes on a conditioning stint and then when he's up someone goes either traded or sent down. Alzner? or maybe one of the kids in Mete or Juulsen (he's struggled a bit in the last 2 games since returning from injury)

As bad as Alzner is, he would be a decent addition to Laval as he would bring some more veteran leadership to a young blueline with 4 rookies.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
i've been surprised by him as well, I don't think he's been that good but since the Wings didn't even want him on their D, I thought he was a Laval signing. That said with Schlemko back soon, I assume he goes on a conditioning stint and then when he's up someone goes either traded or sent down. Alzner? or maybe one of the kids in Mete or Juulsen (he's struggled a bit in the last 2 games since returning from injury)

As bad as Alzner is, he would be a decent addition to Laval as he would bring some more veteran leadership to a young blueline with 4 rookies.
I think Alzner is all but done in Montreal but I doubt he ever laces em up in Laval.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I think Alzner is all but done in Montreal but I doubt he ever laces em up in Laval.

Why not? I think that would be a breach of contract, which means he would not get paid. Correct me if wrong.

Why would alzner say no to the highest earning period of his life?

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
He lacks urgency and awareness in his game when he's in his own zone...but oddly enough, it's the total opposite when he's in tbe offensive zone, he becomes much more engaged and aware then.

I'm not sure these things can be developed, it's been a consistent knock on him from even before his draft year.

I think that's just the way he is, it doesnt mean he cant be an excellent Dman.

I just don't ever see him being the type of Dman you have on your top pair, to play against top lines.
Somewhat agreed. Urgency is a product of self efficacy or team dynamic/goal, while being aware of you want. Could be like Drouin. Not sure what that turd wants, but it is not team or improving.

Reactions: 417

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Sergachev will be fine. He’s 20 years old and in his sophomore season.

I'm sure he will be fine overall. Every time and every where I have seen him in the last three years, he was good in the offensive zone. However, it's a completely different story when it comes to his zone, where he is a liability.

He's a good player. I just don't think he is the phenomenal player some are making him out to be and I think Tampa Bay is a particularly good place for him right now.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Why not? I think that would be a breach of contract, which means he would not get paid. Correct me if wrong.

Why would alzner say no to the highest earning period of his life?

I don't think the Habs would ask him to go to Laval if they decide to cut him loose.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I don't think the Habs would ask him to go to Laval if they decide to cut him loose.

What do you mean "cut him loose"? That sounds like buyout which has a whole other set of implications.

Or are you saying they just send him home, and let him collect his paycheque? Is it any different than guys like Souray, and Redden who were collecting big league cheques while playing in the ahl?

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
We need a big improvement in our #1 center position, or #2 if people think Domi as #1. I prefer Danault on the wing. He gets in hard on the forecheck, forces turnovers and can make plays off the boards.

He doesn't have good enough playmaking skills to be a center.

Forget it. Danault's numbers (not just offensive production) all point to him being an extremely effective center who can shut down elite offensive lines. And so does his play. This guy is not going on the wing anytime soon. Ideally, there will be two centers capable of more offense than he is but Danault can be that guy that fills the gap when there are injuries or something doesn't work.

I'm frankly amazed by the progress he is still making in his mid-20s and with only 200 NHL games played, I think he can further fine-tune his play and be one of the best shut down centers in the league. just hope he can stay off the IR.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
What do you mean "cut him loose"? That sounds like buyout which has a whole other set of implications.

Or are you saying they just send him home, and let him collect his paycheque? Is it any different than guys like Souray, and Redden who were collecting big league cheques while playing in the ahl?

Would he provide any value at this point? He's experienced and is truly a good guy but...

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Would he provide any value at this point? He's experienced and is truly a good guy but...

Would he provide value? That's a good point. Alzner seems like a quality person, so I don't think he will go down there sulking. His best value, I suppose is that he can show these guys what it takes to be in the show... almost like a mentor.... and maybe he is still quality enough to help that team win games, which seems to be an issue right now

I wasn't really thinking of whether he offers value in the AHL, TBH. I just can't remember a precedent of a team sending a guy for the nest 3-4 years to sit on his butt and collect a handsome paycheque. It almost sounds like the firing of a coach, except alzner probably would never be employed as a d-man again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad