Post-Game Talk: Lightning Strikes! Habs lose 4-1 to Tampa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Chabot, at the same age, after starting in the AHL, was just about to start his NHL career. Sergachev has plenty of time to get better.
Don't think anyone suggested or said he wouldn't.

I just think he has warts in his game that will prevent him from being an all-around, all-purpose Dman.

I do think he's going to be a big point producer though.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007

I just think he has warts in his game that will prevent him from being an all-around, all-purpose Dman.

And you know this from how he's looked as a literal teenager in the NHL?

PK Subban was an all-around, all-purpose point producing d-man and he was criticised for not being "better defensively". Face it, some fans have no idea how to rate point producing d-men.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
This. Print the t-shirts. Inscribe it on the statue. Get it notarized. Our roster plays a neat system and generates nice advanced stats, but none of it compensates for chronically terrible shot-quality. No one-timers, no aim, no snipes. Habs can drive the play forward, cycle the puck, keep possession, but nobody has the hands to laser the puck into the net. Our team specializes in crest-polishing for goalies.

"Hey, goalies! Want your Save-Percentage to go up and logo-grime to go down? Get 'Habs-2-Hasek', the powerful detergent with our patented 'Chest-Thump' technology that puts a brilliant shine on your jersey's crest with dozens of anti-bacterial and totally harmless shots! Even works great on backups!"
It's a very Claude Julien thing and I think I've heard that teams are now cheating analytics by taking low-percentage, low-quality shots to boost their corsi.

muzion

Oct 5, 2007
St-Hubert, Québec

He was always an offense-first type d-man with elite offensive instincts and superior strenght, who you hope eventually will become better than average defensively. He never fit the profile of an all-around, all-purpose Dman.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
It's a very Claude Julien thing and I think I've heard that teams are now cheating analytics by taking low-percentage, low-quality shots to boost their corsi.

Patches complained about this last year. Shooting the puck at the net from anywhere.

It's actually really annoying when I see players wrist the puck from the blue line without anybody in front of the net and they absolutely know ( you can see it ) there is no chance that puck is going in. Just an example.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Very frustrating to watch the D miss the net from all over the ice. Awful game for a lot of players, but damn hit the f***ing net if you are going to shoot. Reilly and Benn were both brutal with their shots on net, so was Petry.

BrendanGallagher11

Sep 18, 2013
Montreal
Im a huge price fan

But it doesnt excite me knowing we have him in starting these days

Hopefully when weber comes back
Hell be back to his old self

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
Drouin is worth 5.5/ year all day long. The top tier guys are north of 12 million. He gets less than half of that.

Also, I’m not a fan of the Price contract, but we have an abundance of cap space right now so it’s irrelevant if he makes 10.5 or 2.5.

Blame Bergevin for his cap number, not Carey.

Ya but ya know......that last name is ugly :sarcasm:

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Im a huge price fan

But it doesnt excite me knowing we have him in starting these days

Hopefully when weber comes back
Hell be back to his old self
He's playing well and he will get better as we start to get guys back like Shea and Schlemko. When our D/F can't contain the middle of the ice and we're allowing shots from the hash marks, the opposition's shooting percentage increases dramatically. We'll get there.

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
While the season has started well and I’m sure everyone will agree that it couldn’t have gone any better, we’re only in the first wild card spot. Carolina and Washington are nipping on our heels and we haven’t played any back to backs. I don’t think we’ll make the playoffs and I hope we get a high draft pick. But the future is looking very bright.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Serge will be 21 in a few months as well .....nice try tho
At the end of June....but that's still a three year dif. 21 and 24. But my point was that Drouin will be 24 in March. How much longer do you want to wait? the Prime for most forwards is between 23 and 28, 29. Chances are what we've seen last year and this year is what he's going to give us the rest of his prime years. With Sergachev you still have 3-4 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: OldCraig71

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Shea and Schlemko will definitely help

Rielly - Weber
Schlemko - Petry
Benn - Juulsen

Alzner or Mete

Feels like last season when people were saying that we had to wait for Schlemko, our new saviour

(Not saying that about Weber but I laughed a bit when I noticed Schlemko)

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
At the end of June....but that's still a three year dif. 21 and 24. But my point was that Drouin will be 24 in March. How much longer do you want to wait? the Prime for most forwards is between 23 and 28, 29. Chances are what we've seen last year and this year is what he's going to give us the rest of his prime years. With Sergachev you still have 3-4 years.

Fair enough, just tought it was funny that you mentionned a few months for JD and not for Serge.....3 years and 3 months difference .....thats what they have

Mentioning 20 and 23 would not have hurt your point anyway

Yoor

Mar 17, 2015
The loss is on me guys....sorry. I am 0-4 at the bell center....first time they actually scored when I went to a game though...so i am making progress.

Seriously why do i do this to myself? Not cheap....love coming to montreal though...great city.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Defenseman don't arrive offensively until they are 22-23. Anything coming from Sergachev's stick before then is just gravy. The greatest asset he provides is Karlsson potential when he actually becomes 22-23, giving Tampa a succession plan for Hedman.

Tampa does benefit from Sergachev's offense even now though, because his predecessors were sub-30 or even sub-20 point Dmen. They were correct in giving up Drouin, since Drouin will never be Patrick Kane or Johnny Gaudreau. Development for such a playstyle requires only two years for FULL maturation. Look at Mitch Marner and see that he too has surpassed Johnathan Drouin.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Drouin's game is frustrating, bouts of brilliance followed by episodes of complete stupidity or indifference.

What's frustrating to me is it's all between his ears. Its not a lack of talent or confidence (in fact it's often over confidence).

I think he wants to be the difference maker, he wants to be the guy to make the first assist on a goal (so he'll ignore better passing options).

I generally have not liked the way he's played this year, even his best games I thought he was just good.

I think he's got at least another level or two that he can play at.

I don't know, it's frustrating, but I think the coaching staff needs to stop with the coddling as I think its helping foster his his mentality.

Less is more when it comes to his game imo...he should take a page out of Max Domi's game.

He's having success because he's keeping his game simple, he shoots when he needs to shoot and he moves the puck when it needs to be moved.

Drouin seems obsessed with being THE man, he feels he has to score or set up every goal.

I am fine with him wanting to be the man. In fact, I think great players should be the ones who want the puck. I am also fine with mistakes but he has to own it. I’d like to see more consistency in effort and drive.

Domi and Gally keep it simpler, yes, but those two are freaking horses.

But I also agree with you Drouin should scale it back and make simpler plays. This isn’t juniors where you can deke 4 players on your own.

Reactions: 417 and Runner77

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
While the season has started well and I’m sure everyone will agree that it couldn’t have gone any better, we’re only in the first wild card spot. Carolina and Washington are nipping on our heels and we haven’t played any back to backs. I don’t think we’ll make the playoffs and I hope we get a high draft pick. But the future is looking very bright.

We are 5 points out of top pick(28th )..lol....
Just too early right now...hot start, but lots of road ahead..

Habs play on November 5th 6th 8th 10th....

4 games in 6 days...

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
I am fine with him wanting to be the man. In fact, I think great players should be the ones who want the puck. I am also fine with mistakes but he has to own it. I’d like to see more consistency in effort and drive.

Domi and Gally keep it simpler, yes, but those two are freaking horses.

But I also agree with you Drouin should scale it back and make simpler plays. This isn’t juniors where you can deke 4 players on your own.
Someone who is serious about improving himself must first the humble pie and realize that the opposition is better and that Jr. hockey defenders don't exist in the NHL. Drouin has not mentally checked in yet and has had many years to do so. All people need to do is look at Patrick Kane, Johnny Gaudreau, or Mitch Marner to see the idealized version of Drouin in the flesh. No appeals to hope or youth: these players have legitimately arrived. Drouin has not.

Gamimenos

Apr 28, 2009
The loss is on me guys....sorry. I am 0-4 at the bell center....first time they actually scored when I went to a game though...so i am making progress.

Seriously why do i do this to myself? Not cheap....love coming to montreal though...great city.
What would it cost to keep you out? Let me know next time you get the urge to see a game in person. Maybe I can convince you otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->