Confirmed with Link: Lightning sign RD Kevin Shattenkirk | 1 year, $1.75M

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
I don't think this is the bargain that BP is making it out to be, feels like they have very high expectations for him. His skating has always been a bit shit but he can at least move the puck better than Rutta and Schenn. He might bounce back by being on a non-shit team but my expectations for him are just "don't be a liability and make a decent outlet pass".

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Hopefully he will look a little bit better not playing for the Rangers.

He can't look any worse, he was one of the worst in the league last year. He also better not be getting any PP time, he played 2:26 a game last year and got 7 points. He had more giveaways than takeaways, more offensive zone starts that defensive, doesn't PK yet he had over 100 blocked shots which means he's doesn't keep the puck in the offensive zone and gets pinned in the defensive zone. He's not very good but for 1 year fairly cheap it's not bad. I just hope he doesn't automatically get a spot and has to earn it because I don't think he's a big upgrade over Schenn.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
I really like it. There's pretty much no risk with this contract. You'd think he will work hard for a bounce back season and a better contract next year.

Reactions: berlin

xteesy

Jun 19, 2014
Tampa
For the price you can't complain, 450k more than Ruuta and a big upgrade on him. But I'm not convinced he's that good anymore, his play has fallen off a lot. He can still skate and his offensive instincts are still good but we really don't need an injection of more offensive skill. We need to defend better and Schenn is much better at that. He should play with McDonagh so be can shelter him big time. Takes pressure off of Foote having to make the team this year and allows him a full season to put everything together in Syracuse.

You aren't wrong, but if he's in a solid #4 position (Heddy/#, McD/Kirk) he'll be fine.

Plus we can finally get Serg off the power play (he 100% does not belong there... YET!) and can give him time to develop.

Kirk gives our 2nd PP unit a true leader to help control everything.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Excellent. We are not the Rangers, you can’t look at Shattenkirk and measure his stats in a vacuum without considering the drastic difference in the way we will deploy him, his D partner, the system, and the talent around him.

He has some impressive career puck possession numbers which will shine when he’s passing the puck to Kucherov with a steady defensive partner instead of the train wreck of AHL+ talent he was working with in New York.

Amazing signing.

nhljohnson

Jul 4, 2006
I don’t expect Shattenkirk to pop off this season or anything but he stands to benefit, at the very least, from team effects at evens. And even if he starts out spelling Hedman and Sergachev on the PP, he’s only an injury away from a bigger role there.

In short, a smart spot to put himself in for a contract year.

Last edited:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
We signed the 1.75m version of Shattenkirk, and I don't think anybody's expecting the 2016 version to show up. But he's a guy who can move the puck, and we'll shelter him.

For those of you worried about Sergachev's minutes--keep in mind we also lost Stralman. This is more about Schenn and Rutta.

It's a guy who can move the puck to our forwards. Maybe he's not nearly as effective as before, but as long as he can do just that one thing, I think he makes us a better team.

And, on a one year deal, you know he's going to be motivated. Great move.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I like the signing. Fills our RD need for one more year till Foote gets the call up

I'd honestly try him on all 3 lines and see where he sticks

Hedman - Shattenkirk
or
McDonagh - Shattenkirk (this could lead to a great pairing of Hedman-Cernak
or
Coburn - Shattenkirk

Reactions: NatoGhost

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad