Confirmed with Link: Lightning sign RD Kevin Shattenkirk | 1 year, $1.75M

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
You think Shattenkirk will hit 40+ points playing, what we are all assuming right now, <14 minutes a night, with maybe 1-1:30 PP TOI?

Personally think you are reaching more than we are. But tis is the nature of the forums. I would be ecstatic if you are right though and will happily eat crow.
I think he'll get 16. Didn't Dan Girardi play roughly that? A little more special teams time, but I think it'll come out in the wash.

I don't want anyone to get me wrong. I wanted this move to happen badly. I just don't expect the 40 point version of Shattenkirk in this role. But I'm good with that.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
I’d guess Sergachev would be the odd man out then. Can’t see Cernak playing bottom 2 minutes unless he hits a sophomore slump.
Sergachev and Cernak will be shifted around to play matchups. You'll likely see more points out of Sergy with more favorable matchups and OZ start % climbing. Cernak will be used like a better version of Girardi. Both will be utilized more when... well, someone gets crippled around Christmas as usual.

Reactions: waterboy65

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Sergachev and Cernak will be shifted around to play matchups. You'll likely see more points out of Sergy with more favorable matchups and OZ start % climbing. Cernak will be used like a better version of Girardi. Both will be utilized more when... well, someone gets crippled around Christmas as usual.
If Cernak continues playing as well as he did last year, I can't see him getting less or equal time as Serg. I think Cernak jumped him, and it'll be a battle between Shattenkirk and Sergachev for time.

Unless Coburn gets old overnight. I don't think it's impossible that Sergachev goes back to the left side this year.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
You think Shattenkirk will hit 40+ points playing, what we are all assuming right now, <14 minutes a night, with maybe 1-1:30 PP TOI?

Personally think you are reaching more than we are. But tis is the nature of the forums. I would be ecstatic if you are right though and will happily eat crow.

Hard to say, but conservatively, I would expect Shattenkirk to play 17 minutes per game with 55% offensive zone starts. You look at combinations and he fits like a glove next to McDonagh, and that will come with a lot of minutes.

Again, I want to highlight that his expected +/- was actually positive. His xGF% on one of the worst offensive teams in the league, shows a player that held his own defensively while generating a lot of chances which weren't capitalized on. The opposite should be true here.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Hard to say, but conservatively, I would expect Shattenkirk to play 17 minutes per game with 55% offensive zone starts. You look at combinations and he fits like a glove next to McDonagh, and that will come with a lot of minutes.

Again, I want to highlight that his expected +/- was actually positive. His xGF% on one of the worst offensive teams in the league, shows a player that held his own defensively while generating a lot of chances which weren't capitalized on. The opposite should be true here.

I know he is good friends with McDonagh. I dont know if he will play with him or not but he could be a good partner for him. Like others though, I hope he gets 5-6 mins. Unless Serg just looks like trash.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Who actually thinks he'll be under 14 a night? He'll be likely 17 pretty consistently, he'll be top four easily.

I think he pairs off at the bottom and averages 12-14 per night maybe a tad more depending on the matchup with Coburn. That should take some time away from the first two lines and leave them hopefully less injured and more ready for the late season stretch.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Interesting statement from Brian Engblom in Joe Smith's recent Athletic article (behind paywall, sorry).
Kevin Shattenkirk is 'pissed off,' and that could end up...
“You know how Sergachev wants his chance, and now he’s probably rolling his eyes,” Engblom said. “‘What does this mean? Am I off (the power play)?’ He very well could be. Shattenkirk is a really good QB on the PP and once he gets in synch with the guys, he knows how to pass, and I would think that Stamkos and Kucherov are really going to like him. He knows how to create offensive chances on the power play.
“He and Sergachev will fight it out for power-play time. Who knows? They may have three forwards and it could be Shattenkirk and Hedman on the top PP or could be Sergachev and Shattenkirk on the second power-play unit. You don’t have to have just one defenseman.”

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
This is ridiculous. Our powerplay was the best the league has seen in years. Hedman struggled to make that pass to Stamkos in 2014, not anymore.

I said explored. For the simple fact it would be better having a right hand shooter passing the puck to stamkos.

It isn’t ridiculous to “explore” and you watch it will be done at some point

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I'm convinced there's people on this board that don't actually watch the games, but just wait until they're over so they can go to a website and look at pretty colored bars and say "Ohhhh. Ok."

And then post them here and act like it's the beginning and end of discussion. GTFO.

If you can't see the potential that Shattenkirk has in this system, you need to just delete your account and go join some Excel forums, cause that's all you're interested in anyway.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I said explored. For the simple fact it would be better having a right hand shooter passing the puck to stamkos.

It isn’t ridiculous to “explore” and you watch it will be done at some point

It's definitely better. Kurtis Foster positioned himself into a nice UFA payday because the goalie had to respect his point shot, and that made the Stamkos one timer virtually indefensible.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I really don't see us messing with PP1 unless it goes stale.

That said, I'm starting to wonder about Hedman - Shattenkirk. They wouldn't have the big D assignments anyway, so long as McDonagh - Cernak (McCernagh?) stays effective in a shutdown role. Gives Shattenkirk a babysitter while putting him in a position to succeed.

Hedman - Shattenkirk
McDonagh - Cernak
Coburn - Sergachev

I know it puts our best breakout passers together, but they'd be awfully hard to defend pushing plays up to Kucherov or Point or Stamkos.

Reactions: BeingTheThunder

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017

That said, I'm starting to wonder about Hedman - Shattenkirk. They wouldn't have the big D assignments anyway, so long as McDonagh - Cernak (McCernagh?) stays effective in a shutdown role. Gives Shattenkirk a babysitter while putting him in a position to succeed.

Hedman - Shattenkirk
McDonagh - Cernak
Coburn - Sergachev

I know it puts our best breakout passers together, but they'd be awfully hard to defend pushing plays up to Kucherov or Point or Stamkos.
This is how I see it shaking out. I don't think they want to split McD and Cernak and I don't think Hedman-Serge is a great long term pairing. Neither is Shattenkirk-Coburn, IMO.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
This is how I see it shaking out. I don't think they want to split McD and Cernak and I don't think Hedman-Serge is a great long term pairing. Neither is Shattenkirk-Coburn, IMO.

His minutes would still shake out under 20. Very limited PP time, no PK time at all. Mostly just 5v5 next to Hedman.

Given the way we treated Coburn down the stretch, I'm not convinced we don't move Serg back to the left.

Reactions: DaBolts

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Over an 82 game season I'm sure we'll see Hedman-Cernak and McDonagh-Shattenkirk at some point. Just makes a ton of sense in terms of meshing styles. I'd like to give it a go for a large sample, and then we can always go back to reuniting Cernak and McDonagh.

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida

Hedman - Shattenkirk
McDonagh - Cernak
Coburn - Sergachev

I go back and forth between wanting Hedman paired with someone he can babysit, or paired with someone reliable so he can work his magic in the offensive zone while maybe giving up just a touch of the shutdown responsibility.

Honestly, the beauty of it is that he can be elite in either role. I wouldn't mind seeing him with either Shattenkirk or Cernak. Or Sergachev for that matter.

I suppose the x-factor is McDonagh. He's so good at that shutdown role, I'd almost rather him babysit for someone than have a true shutdown pair with Cernak and sacrifice Hedman's freedom a bit on the top line. Hedman is much more potent than McDonagh in the offensive zone.

I guess I'd probably start the season with the below pairings, but I think we can flip Shattenkirk and Cernak and either setup would work fairly well.

Hedman-Cernak
McDonagh-Shattenkirk
Coburn-Sergachev

I think this season we should be experimenting heavily to find the best setup to roll into the playoffs with.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Guys - y'all hella overrated McDonagh's defense. He's good. Y'all acting like he's Chelios back there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad