Confirmed with Link: Lightning sign LW Pat Maroon | 1 year, $900K

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If we can dig 29 points out of Kunitz then surely we can better that for a guy who regularly scores over 30 points. I'm counting on Maroon getting playing time more substantial to that of a 4th liner because we are eventually going to deal with injuries and our scoring going cold
He doesn't regularly score over 30 points. Only when he's playing with McDavid.

Again, there's a reason he signed for 900k. At his size, if anybody had hope he was a legit top 6, or even top 9 forward, they would have offered him significantly more. If he makes the team, and I still maintain that's an "if," he'll mainly be Paquette's bodyguard. He doesn't have the skating or hands to play on a skill line. It took literally the best player in the world to make him look useful as a scorer.

Just saying. Don't count out guys like Volkov and Stephens, who'll be vying for his spot. I think this is more like insurance that we'll have a capable player replacing Callahan/Erne, even if the prospects need more seasoning.

waterboy65

Jul 7, 2017
If all Maroon does is prepare our smurfs for a more physical style of game during training camp then it was a still useful signing. Throw in fact that he is willing to drop gloves and go and is a well liked vet by his teammates and this makes it a good signing!

Reactions: CupsOverCash

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Size in the top six. Our bottom six is plenty physical. That just doesn't exactly help our stars produce.

This isn't Kreider, or even Wilson. Maybe we get lucky and he clicks with somebody. But the chances of that aren't much better than they were for Morrow, Kunitz, and Malone (when he lost the last of his skating). This is a big, slow guy with no hands and no defense. By all accounts he's good along the boards, but I don't see that being enough to keep him in the top-six.

I think it was an effort to bring the size need in even if he is just a bottom 6 guy. The team looked soft and fragile during the last 6 playoff games. They definitely wanted to get some size in here but its not easy to find somebody who has size and can play. At least this guy has done it before and has won a cup too. Im not saying hes the answer to our problems, or that he even helps us much but I like the effort and the idea when there really isnt much out there to accomodate our need. Not unless we do move for a Krieder or somebody like that. Have to give though.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Big Rig is a great signing for you guys.

Loved his time in Edmonton and that sentiment is universal amongst our fans. He was what we thought we were getting with Lucic.

Should be a really good bottom 6 player for you guys and brings an element you’re missing up front.

Good luck Patty.

Reactions: DaBolts

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Let's not forget the guy just won the Cup and sent his team to the WCF by scoring the deciding 2OT goal in a game 7. He’s just a physical role player, sure, but most importantly he adds a new voice and some character to the locker room. All our current leaders seem to do when things are not going our way is sulk and stare at the floor (Stamkos, Hedman, McDonagh) or get suspended (Kucherov).

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

Again, there's a reason he signed for 900k. At his size, if anybody had hope he was a legit top 6, or even top 9 forward, they would have offered him significantly more. If he makes the team, and I still maintain that's an "if," he'll mainly be Paquette's bodyguard. He doesn't have the skating or hands to play on a skill line. It took literally the best player in the world to make him look useful as a scorer.

Just saying. Don't count out guys like Volkov and Stephens, who'll be vying for his spot. I think this is more like insurance that we'll have a capable player replacing Callahan/Erne, even if the prospects need more seasoning.

Regarding the latter you're right. This probably is as much insurance for a replacement for Erne/Callahan as it is making sure we have a fallback in case the prospects need more time. But as for Maroon himself, he has been signing contracts like that his entire career. His biggest payday ever was $2 million AAV years ago. I'm not sure if the market is a lot more than 900K for him anywhere he goes because of how up against the cap so many teams are. I'm not sure what substantially more of an offer he might've gotten elsewhere is but it's not a point we really need to delve into more. He's being paid fairly for what he brings. As for the McDavid thing yeah that's where Maroon had his career highs. You're right there too. But I don't worry about Maroon's skill and hands because McDavid is the fastest thing on two legs. They were fine together. We have so many brainiac forwards in our lineup that I'm sure he's bound to click with one of them. The guy had 42, 43 and then 28 point seasons in his last 3 years, the latter of which was a lesser role in St. Louis and the 43 season being split between Edmonton and NJ. If he needs to play top 6 for any reason we have guys like Point and Kucherov. I'm confident in them being able to make it work with him. Otherwise he minds his business on the bottom line. And he's gonna be a good bottom line player.

In any case I've seen enough of him to be optimistic that Maroon can produce beyond his potential like Kuntiz did for years on the Penguins and then do it again here. He's managed to be a steady producer everywhere he's gone and I just hope he's not gonna be a playoff no-show here if we can get back to the playoffs again

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Regarding the latter you're right. This probably is as much insurance for a replacement for Erne/Callahan as it is making sure we have a fallback in case the prospects need more time. But as for Maroon himself, he has been signing contracts like that his entire career. His biggest payday ever was $2 million AAV years ago. I'm not sure if the market is a lot more than 900K for him anywhere he goes because of how up against the cap so many teams are. I'm not sure what substantially more of an offer he might've gotten elsewhere is but it's not a point we really need to delve into more. He's being paid fairly for what he brings. As for the McDavid thing yeah that's where Maroon had his career highs. You're right there too. But I don't worry about Maroon's skill and hands because McDavid is the fastest thing on two legs. They were fine together. We have so many brainiac forwards in our lineup that I'm sure he's bound to click with one of them. The guy had 42, 43 and then 28 point seasons in his last 3 years, the latter of which was a lesser role in St. Louis and the 43 season being split between Edmonton and NJ. If he needs to play top 6 for any reason we have guys like Point and Kucherov. I'm confident in them being able to make it work with him. Otherwise he minds his business on the bottom line. And he's gonna be a good bottom line player.

In any case I've seen enough of him to be optimistic that Maroon can produce beyond his potential like Kuntiz did for years on the Penguins and then do it again here. He's managed to be a steady producer everywhere he's gone and I just hope he's not gonna be a playoff no-show here if we can get back to the playoffs again
So you're not willing to let Point and Kucherov "make it work" with Palat, but fine with them "making it work" with someone significantly worse?

This doesn't look like a top-six signing at all. This is a lot more like the last days of Ryan Malone. Good dressing room guy, but he's gonna be an anchor if you attach him to skill players.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
“If your a big guy and can’t play with pace, you can’t play for us “ ???????

Palat Stamkos Gourde
Johnson Point Kucherov
Killorn Cirelli Joseph
Volkov Paquette Maroon

Conacher

Reactions: DFC

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
So you're not willing to let Point and Kucherov "make it work" with Palat, but fine with them "making it work" with someone significantly worse?

This doesn't look like a top-six signing at all. This is a lot more like the last days of Ryan Malone. Good dressing room guy, but he's gonna be an anchor if you attach him to skill players.

If Palat is gonna half the season not scoring followed by getting hurt again then yeah I'm all about Maroon getting a look provided that someone like Joseph isn't already doing well on his own line. In which case let Joseph have a top 6 look. Maroon playing top line in my book comes as a secondary option but still a possible one

Reactions: CupsOverCash

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If Palat is gonna half the season not scoring followed by getting hurt again then yeah I'm all about Maroon getting a look provided that someone like Joseph isn't already doing well on his own line. In which case let Joseph have a top 6 look. Maroon playing top line in my book comes as a secondary option but still a possible one

Palat, at his worst, is better than Maroon. I think sometimes when somebody falls well below expectations, we assume they're awful. Palat is below average when he's bad.

It's possible Maroon will click with a scorer. But very unlikely that he'll click better than a more skilled player, and won't be an anchor, even if his own production is boosted.

Reactions: Rschmitz

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL

200w.webp

200w.webp

200w.webp

The guy has hands and skills. HE goes to the dirty areas and scores big goals. How many big goals did we score last year in the playoffs? He is a f****** animal in the playoffs. He is the exact thing we need a guy that shows up and earns his pay plus exponentially more. We have a bunch of talented players that won't go battle for pucks and earn those contracts. If you think he isn't a NHL player then you clearly have not seen his play over the years. He is a power forward that can score, check, fight, grind, fight for lose pucks, will stick up for his teammates, and score big goals. The Lightning scored zero big series clinching goals in the last 7 playoff games. Give the the guy who works his ass off for the paycheck and wins then the guys see content doing the same thing losing any day of the week in the playoffs.

How many players do we have that have won the cup and scored series clinching goals to win the cup? I will wait.... maybe this year after Pat Attack shows them what it means to show up for the playoffs. We need guys that give every thing they have and battle for everything in the playoffs. How many forwards on our team fight, check, defend their teammates in fights, crash the net, crash the boards, get rebounds, and have raised the cup? The answer is one Pat Maroon. The fact he took a pay cut to go for a cup run means the man is ready to get another ring. Tell Stamkos, Kucherov, and Point to follow his lead and learn to win in the playoffs.

Last edited:

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Palat, at his worst, is better than Maroon. I think sometimes when somebody falls well below expectations, we assume they're awful. Palat is below average when he's bad.

It's possible Maroon will click with a scorer. But very unlikely that he'll click better than a more skilled player, and won't be an anchor, even if his own production is boosted.

Palat's going to have to prove that to me this season. I think he's living off of his contract and one great season. If he rebounds, I'll admit I'm wrong, but from a get dirty in the paint standpoint, Palat is a wuss lately.

Reactions: TheGreatOutlaw

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Palat's going to have to prove that to me this season. I think he's living off of his contract and one great season. If he rebounds, I'll admit I'm wrong, but from a get dirty in the paint standpoint, Palat is a wuss lately.
Has Palat ever been a key player scoring multiple series clinching goals and lifted a cup before? Can Palat stand up to bigger players? Can Palat win battles in the playoffs and be a force lately ?

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
If anyone is a borderline 3rd and 4th liner over the last two seasons and playoffs it is Palat. Pat sure looked faster, player harder and stronger and scored more goals and points. Most importantly he was a key piece is a cup win. Give me Pat over Palat any day.

Reactions: DaBolts

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Palat frustrates me because he ALWAYS try's to deke and pull of skill moves that he can't do. I can even pin point the moment in his career that he decided he was that type of player.

It was this goal. Ever since then I see him try to pull off the same move at least once every game and it never works. Drives me insane. :scared:

DaBolts

Feb 3, 2015
Has Palat ever been a key player scoring multiple series clinching goals and lifted a cup before? Can Palat stand up to bigger players? Can Palat win battles in the playoffs and be a force lately ?

Does Palat like Seattle?

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Let's not forget the guy just won the Cup and sent his team to the WCF by scoring the deciding 2OT goal in a game 7. He’s just a physical role player, sure, but most importantly he adds a new voice and some character to the locker room. All our current leaders seem to do when things are not going our way is sulk and stare at the floor (Stamkos, Hedman, McDonagh) or get suspended (Kucherov).
With Stralman and Callahan gone, there should be room in the leadership group for another guy.

DaBolts

Feb 3, 2015
Palat frustrates me because he ALWAYS try's to deke and pull of skill moves that he can't do. I can even pin point the moment in his career that he decided he was that type of player.

It was this goal. Ever since then I see him try to pull off the same move at least once every game and it never works. Drives me insane. :scared:

Give me Joseph on those moves every day of the week. That kid is going to be unholy this season.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
With Stralman and Callahan gone, there should be room in the leadership group for another guy.
He is a leader, clutch goal scorer, fighter, and a cup winner. Loved them here but neither of them were cup winners. They were part of the rangers losing and faling short in the playoff culture. When we took on the surplus and ex-rangers we adopted that mentality and losing instinct. Now we have the best player of them and hopefully Pat can show him how to battle and win when it matters most. Yes I know these guys are pros and better than I will ever dreamed of being. They all lost series and never lifted a cup year after year. They just sulk ,say we have next game , and say we will be better than next year. The core needs to do some soul searching and get the winner mentality we will fight harder for every puck and lay it all on the line every shift. Pat is that guy that leads by that example. At some point cause and effect has to be considered getting upset and falling short both In Tampa and NYC.

Last edited:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

200w.webp

200w.webp

200w.webp

The guy has hands and skills. HE goes to the dirty areas and scores big goals. How many big goals did we score last year in the playoffs? He is a f****** animal in the playoffs. He is the exact thing we need a guy that shows up and earns his pay plus exponentially more. We have a bunch of talented players that won't go battle for pucks and earn those contracts. If you think he isn't a NHL player then you clearly have not seen his play over the years. He is a power forward that can score, check, fight, grind, fight for lose pucks, will stick up for his teammates, and score big goals. The Lightning scored zero big series clinching goals in the last 7 playoff games. Give the the guy who works his ass off for the paycheck and wins then the guys see content doing the same thing losing any day of the week in the playoffs.

How many players do we have that have won the cup and scored series clinching goals to win the cup? I will wait.... maybe this year after Pat Attack shows them what it means to show up for the playoffs. We need guys that give every thing they have and battle for everything in the playoffs. How many forwards on our team fight, check, defend their teammates in fights, crash the net, crash the boards, get rebounds, and have raised the cup? The answer is one Pat Maroon. The fact he took a pay cut to go for a cup run means the man is ready to get another ring. Tell Stamkos, Kucherov, and Point to follow his lead and learn to win in the playoffs.

My man giiiitin that hype over here

Reactions: TheGreatOutlaw

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
My man giiiitin that hype over here
It isn't hype, it is what we lack. Heart, grit, toughness, clutch goal scoring, and the ability to close a series. We have a bunch of 0-7 players that bring nothing near that over the last 7 playoff games. We need a real winner to lead by example of winning in the playoffs. We have had a bunch of NYR players that did nothing but choke year after year. The culture spread here and Maroon is the first step in the direction to address that. We need the core to buy in to the all in playoff mentality. We have one guy on the roster that has won a cup and that is Maroon. He needs to lead these misguided core to the promise land. You don't win the cup on skill and paper. Teams win the cup with heart, grit, skill, tenacity, and determination to never quit fighting.

Last edited:
Reactions: LightningStrikes

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Absolutely. And he's still better than Maroon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad