Confirmed with Link: Lightning sign LW Pat Maroon | 1 year, $900K

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Has Palat ever been a key player scoring multiple series clinching goals and lifted a cup before? Can Palat stand up to bigger players? Can Palat win battles in the playoffs and be a force lately ?

Yes, Maroon scored a big goal. And then he didn't score another one for the rest of the playoffs (13 games), while averaging about 11 or 12 minutes per night.

You know what makes Palat, even at his worst, better than Maroon? He's an average skater.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

He doesn't regularly score over 30 points. Only when he's playing with McDavid.

Again, there's a reason he signed for 900k. At his size, if anybody had hope he was a legit top 6, or even top 9 forward, they would have offered him significantly more. If he makes the team, and I still maintain that's an "if," he'll mainly be Paquette's bodyguard. He doesn't have the skating or hands to play on a skill line. It took literally the best player in the world to make him look useful as a scorer.

Just saying. Don't count out guys like Volkov and Stephens, who'll be vying for his spot. I think this is more like insurance that we'll have a capable player replacing Callahan/Erne, even if the prospects need more seasoning.

200w.webp

200w.webp

200w.webp

The guy has hands and skills. HE goes to the dirty areas and scores big goals. How many big goals did we score last year in the playoffs? He is a f****** animal in the playoffs. He is the exact thing we need a guy that shows up and earns his pay plus exponentially more. We have a bunch of talented players that won't go battle for pucks and earn those contracts. If you think he isn't a NHL player then you clearly have not seen his play over the years. He is a power forward that can score, check, fight, grind, fight for lose pucks, will stick up for his teammates, and score big goals. The Lightning scored zero big series clinching goals in the last 7 playoff games. Give the the guy who works his ass off for the paycheck and wins then the guys see content doing the same thing losing any day of the week in the playoffs.

How many players do we have that have won the cup and scored series clinching goals to win the cup? I will wait.... maybe this year after Pat Attack shows them what it means to show up for the playoffs. We need guys that give every thing they have and battle for everything in the playoffs. How many forwards on our team fight, check, defend their teammates in fights, crash the net, crash the boards, get rebounds, and have raised the cup? The answer is one Pat Maroon. The fact he took a pay cut to go for a cup run means the man is ready to get another ring. Tell Stamkos, Kucherov, and Point to follow his lead and learn to win in the playoffs.

He's an animal in the playoffs and yet he saw 12 minutes one time in the SCF, and went without a goal in his last 13 games.

He'll give everything he has, sure. On the fourth line. Callahan gave everything he had too. But in the end he didn't have enough skill to keep up. Maroon is big, slow, and on the wrong side of 30.

He didn't "take a paycut." He was desperate for a contract because every team in the league understands that he's not a good player.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
He doesn't regularly score over 30 points. Only when he's playing with McDavid.
Well after he was shipped out of Edmonton, he scored 13 points in 17 games with the Devils, and then 28 in 74 with the Blues.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
It isn't hype, it is what we lack. Heart, grit, toughness, clutch goal scoring, and the ability to close a series. We have a bunch of 0-7 players that bring nothing near that over the last 7 playoff games. We need a real winner to lead by example of what winning in the playoffs. We have had a bunch of NYR players that did nothing but choke year after year. The culture spread here and Maroon is the first step in the direction to address that. We need the core to buy in to the all in playoff mentality. We have one guy on the roster that has won a cup and that is Maroon. He needs to lead these misguided core to the promise land. You don't win the cup on skill and paper. Teams win the cup with heart, grit, skill, tenacity, and determination to never quit fighting.
We need to somehow add another guy between now and the TDL who have won the Cup before. Inject that winner mentality into this locker room. Another Darryl Sydor. After Vinny's buyout and Marty's trade we never filled that gap. Well at least we now have Maroon. He'll get the respect in the room for winning the Cup for sure, but as others have pointed out his role will still be limited, somewhere between 4th line regular, 3rd line spot duty and sitting in the press box.

I still think this is an excellent signing. He won't be worse than Erne in production, and even if so he's cheaper anyway. He will hit just as much and just as hard and on top he provides a winner's mentality, the "been there done that" vibe. And he won't hesitate a millisecond and drop the gloves with the Wilsons and Charas of this league to get his team and the crowd going. Not that sad shit fest we saw against Columbus...

We all asked for fresh blood after we've witnessed our favorite team commit the biggest choke job in pro sports history. We didn't get the Pavelskis or Karlssons. But we got a lot of heart, grit and experience in Maroon and Schenn. Schenn is looking to reinvent himself, to show everybody that he's still got it. We got more offensive options and flexibility by acquiring Shattenkirk. Another guy who's looking to prove the hockey world wrong. These guys are hungry. This team was not hungry last season. Talented as hell, but also complacent, cocky and soft.

Last edited:

waterboy65

Jul 7, 2017
First off- Maroon is already in Dotchin body mode! He has pretty much played like that for the past 5 years. Dotchin had the opportunity to play on the top D line here and he ate it all away!

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
What happens if Patty shows up to camp in Dotchin condition? How does that get handled?
Volkov makes the team.

We have prospects who might be better than Maroon immediately. The thing is, I'm not even opposed to having him on the team. I'd definitely rather see Maroon jumping to Cedric Paquette's defense, rather than guys like Erne and Callahan. I just think we need to be realistic about his role. This isn't the guy who's gonna help Kucherov and Stamkos break through in the playoffs. It's more a guy who's gonna defend our miniature agitators and contribute to a solid, heavy 4th line.

Shattenkirk went a lot further toward solving our playoff scoring problem. And I still think we're gonna look for a top-6 F, a better version of Maroon, come February.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
I think we can all hope for prospects making the jump and Maroon playing in around half of the games.

I am more worried about Martel getting a regular spot.

Maroon and Martel as the 13th and 14th forwards? Yes please

Reactions: DFC

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think we can all hope for prospects making the jump and Maroon playing in around half of the games.

I am more worried about Martel getting a regular spot.

Maroon and Martel as the 13th and 14th forwards? Yes please

Yeah. This is exactly right, I think. If Maroon is the 13th forward on the team, all is right with the world. We can inject him on nights where we need a police man, but it also means the prospects have developed as planned.

Reactions: Richard Cranium

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Palat frustrates me because he ALWAYS try's to deke and pull of skill moves that he can't do. I can even pin point the moment in his career that he decided he was that type of player.

It was this goal. Ever since then I see him try to pull off the same move at least once every game and it never works. Drives me insane. :scared:

I knew exactly what video this was going to be.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Absolutely. And he's still better than Maroon.
Let me know when Palat can fight, defend his teammates, score some series clinching goals, and lifts the cup. Palat was one of our worse players last year and makes over 5 times maroon who brings what we lack. I am saying this guy is a 3rd/4th line that we need to win.
Palat
2018-1927TBLNHL 4101-221000425.010 Hits6917:1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Maroon
yr STLNHL 26347-383002378.16232112:201150.0654 HITS
[TFOOT] [/TFOOT]
Maroon scored at a higher rate versus better playoff teams with less minutes per game.
He is older and slower, but he brings what you need to win in the bottom 6 in the playoffs for 900,000.
Would you take Palat for 5 million or Maroon for 900,000? The cup winner is the winner no doubt. Palat looked bad last year and needs a huge rebound year to have any value. Palat with his current play and contract is a negative asset. He needs to rebound and prove the league and fans wrong. Maybe Pat can teach him how to win in the playoffs and battle.

Reactions: LoSTRaMaiR

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I love the Maroon signing, I don't love how this thread is devolving into a conversation about how Maroon is better than Palat.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Let me know when Palat can fight, defend his teammates, score some series clinching goals, and lifts the cup. Palat was one of our worse players last year and makes over 5 times maroon who brings what we lack. I am saying this guy is a 3rd/4th line that we need to win.
Palat
2018-1927TBLNHL4101-221000425.010 Hits6917:1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Maroon
yrSTLNHL26347-383002378.16232112:201150.0654 HITS
[TFOOT] [/TFOOT]
Maroon scored at a higher rate versus better playoff teams with less minutes per game.
He is older and slower, but he brings what you need to win in the bottom 6 in the playoffs for 900,000.
Would you take Palat for 5 million or Maroon for 900,000? The cup winner is the winner no doubt. Palat looked bad last year and needs a huge rebound year to have any value. Palat with his current play and contract is a negative asset. He needs to rebound and prove the league and fans wrong. Maybe Pat can teach him how to win in the playoffs and battle.

It's not Palat vs. his contract. It's Palat vs. Maroon. Palat isn't worth his contract right now, but that doesn't mean we would be sitting him in favor of Maroon.

You're talking about this guy like every team in the league tried to acquire him. That's not what happened. And I'm not sure why you're boasting a stat line where the guy scored barely better than a point every four games.

Our third and fourth lines have very little to do with why and how we lost. We need a guy (or a coach) who can help our stars break through when it matters most. Maroon gives us a nice option for the 4th line, but this really doesn't address our size issue, since that's an issue in the top-6.

If Maroon is our 13th forward, we're in a good spot.

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
Maybe we put Palat on a line with Maroon... perhaps Maroon can mentor the young lad to have a rebound season and revive what was a promising career. Either way, I agree that this devolving into a Maroon is better than Palat or Palat is better than Maroon non-sense is not productive.

The fact is Palat had an awful season last year and is wasting a Top 6 spot. He should be dropped to the bottom 6 and be made to work his way back into a top-line spot. Being one of Copper's buddies, we know that's not likely to happen though. I just hope he has a rebound season. Please... make us look like fools for doubting you. That would be awesome.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I think the late stage Ryan Malone comparison is dead on. Maroon is a guy who we can make extremely successful if given the right situation. As a full time top 9 guy? Hell no. We have a puck possession speed based system.

He scored most of his points on the PP, and he certainly isn't going to crack the first unit. Our top PP is built on movement and misdirection, there is no place for a stationary big guy like Maroon there.

If we run our second PP through Shattenkirk at the point though, we are going to need a big guy in front who can screen and clean up because the impetus of the attack doesn't depend on movement but reacting off of the initial shot.

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
If we run our second PP through Shattenkirk at the point though, we are going to need a big guy in front who can screen and clean up because the impetus of the attack doesn't depend on movement but reacting off of the initial shot.
Agree completely. Our second PP unit was straight-up trash and I can see Shatty and Maroon hopefully improving that unit's success rate.

Reactions: Rschmitz

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Who cares about the 2nd unit? They'll get like 13 seconds of ice time each PP.

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
Who cares about the 2nd unit? They'll get like 13 seconds of ice time each PP.
I wish. Unfortunately, I remember our 1st unit, when they didn't score right away or having difficulty keeping it in the zone, getting changed out at a minute to minute-fifteen in. Second unit typically got 45 or so seconds when the 1st didn't maintain control of the puck in the O-zone. I remember getting pissed and thinking of how Ovechkin usually plays the entire 2 minutes and wondering why Cooper was being a dink and changing out the units ... The second unit SHOULD only get 13 seconds of PP time but I don't remember it being that way... just the way it SHOULD have been..

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
They typically get about 30. And, if there's a whistle, the 1st unit usually comes back out. Maroon will probably get a shot at that unit, but I'm not sure he'd keep it over guys like Gourde and maybe Joseph.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
If Palat can regain some form and Maroon can be what we hope he can be, that is adding some physicality to the team that we desperately need. If they can bring that and chip in 5v5 when games matter most, then the team should be a much tougher playoff team.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think the late stage Ryan Malone comparison is dead on. Maroon is a guy who we can make extremely successful if given the right situation. As a full time top 9 guy? Hell no. We have a puck possession speed based system.

He scored most of his points on the PP, and he certainly isn't going to crack the first unit. Our top PP is built on movement and misdirection, there is no place for a stationary big guy like Maroon there.

That's what I think he is: Ryan Malone toward the end. Malone was a hugely popular guy, but his biggest positive was his ability to stick up for his teammates. Coop tried to keep him on a scoring line until the TDL and it was awful. Then the TDL passed and he was a healthy scratch as often as not. I think that's what we can expect. That said, I love the idea of him, rather than Martel, as the 13th forward. We can plug Maroon into nastier games so guys like Cernak don't feel pressured to defend teammates. That is definitely valuable, and I do like this signing. I just don't think this is a team-changer. I think Maroon will see a lot of press box time. But I'd rather send Martel to the A, if it comes to that.

Reactions: Rschmitz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->