Confirmed with Link: Lightning sign LW Pat Maroon | 1 year, $900K

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Who cares about the 2nd unit? They'll get like 13 seconds of ice time each PP.

I care, the whistle doesn't blow when the PP runs out. If you don't score on the first PP, having an effective second PP can keep the other team on it's toes and disjointed as you transition over into even strength.

Also, Sergachev had himself a nice rookie campaign in large part because of the second PP unit. There is opportunity on the second PP unit, but it might not always come during the actual power play.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I care, the whistle doesn't blow when the PP runs out. If you don't score on the first PP, having an effective second PP can keep the other team on it's toes and disjointed as you transition over into even strength.

Also, Sergachev had himself a nice rookie campaign in large part because of the second PP unit. There is opportunity on the second PP unit, but it might not always come during the actual power play.

Part of the issue with the 2nd unit (if it can even be called an issue) is all our best PP players are on PP1. That gets solved a little bit this year if we go with two D, which I assume we will (Shattenkirk and Sergachev). Gotta think Shattenkirk will be able to improve it at least a little. Sergachev becomes the shooter, but Johnson's likely to be the best forward out there, assuming someone like Cirelli or Gourde takes the last spot on PP1.

Maybe to start the year (assuming Cirelli is on PP1, just for fun):

Maroon - Johnson - Gourde
Shattenkirk - Sergachev

I think the LW spot will be a revolving door, probably used to reward players with some PP time, unless Maroon proves useful there.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Part of the issue with the 2nd unit (if it can even be called an issue) is all our best PP players are on PP1. That gets solved a little bit this year if we go with two D, which I assume we will (Shattenkirk and Sergachev). Gotta think Shattenkirk will be able to improve it at least a little. Sergachev becomes the shooter, but Johnson's likely to be the best forward out there, assuming someone like Cirelli or Gourde takes the last spot on PP1.

Maybe to start the year (assuming Cirelli is on PP1, just for fun):

Maroon - Johnson - Gourde
Shattenkirk - Sergachev

I think the LW spot will be a revolving door, probably used to reward players with some PP time, unless Maroon proves useful there.
I actually made a face like I was constipated looking at that second PP.

Reactions: TheGreatOutlaw

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I actually made a face like I was constipated looking at that second PP.

Yeah. The best shooter will be Sergachev. But I think Shattenkirk is good enough to make it a bit of a threat. I mean, if Coop goes back to Palat on PP1, then Cirelli could/should play on PP2, which helps.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Somebody forgot to tell him we're a bunch of chokers led by a guy who can't beat a trap.
iu

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I like having two D on the second PP since the time is likely to expire while they are out on the ice and you wont be caught having only 1D!

I agree. I never understood the hesistancy to use 2 D on the first PP if you have the guys who can do it better than F at that position. I wouldnt be surprised if we saw Hedman and Shattenkirk on the first PP from time to time because Hedman and Shattenkirk are really good puck movers on the PP. I wouldnt do it much though because you want to keep that PP pretty much the same as it was great last year.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I agree. I never understood the hesistancy to use 2 D on the first PP if you have the guys who can do it better than F at that position. I wouldnt be surprised if we saw Hedman and Shattenkirk on the first PP from time to time because Hedman and Shattenkirk are really good puck movers on the PP. I wouldnt do it much though because you want to keep that PP pretty much the same as it was great last year.
I don't see it. That removes either stamkos or kucherov, or at least takes them out of their wheelhouse. The PP was too good last year to **** with. Maybe if they go into an extended slump where stammer and kuch are refusing to shoot. Otherwise, I think PP2 is Shattenkirk's. Probably with Serg.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
I don't see it. That removes either stamkos or kucherov, or at least takes them out of their wheelhouse. The PP was too good last year to **** with. Maybe if they go into an extended slump where stammer and kuch are refusing to shoot. Otherwise, I think PP2 is Shattenkirk's. Probably with Serg.
Agreed, the only way I see Shatty getting PP1 time is if he manages to be what Marty was for Stammer.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I once knew a guy who would get a 5:00 shadow by 3:00 and I'm convinced Big Rig gets his by 1:30. He's gonna displace the legend of Garrison quickly

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Amazing price point for someone coming off a really good playoffs. He gave all the smaller dmen in last years playoffs fits.

He was, in his own words "chubby, but effective."

I won't be suprised if he's wearing another cup ring in 13 months.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad