Confirmed with Link: Lightning sign D Dan Girardi (2 years, $3M AAV)

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012

I'd love to know what are those analytics, because that's precisely by the statistical standards that Girardi is huge red flag with the sign "don't touch it or we're all gonna die".

We'll see whether he proves us wrong, but I'm extremely skeptical. Girardi being a bit fat liability is the same as stating that water is wet.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

I'd love to know what are those analytics, because that's precisely by the statistical standards that Girardi is huge red flag with the sign "don't touch it or we're all gonna die".

We'll see whether he proves us wrong, but I'm extremely skeptical. Girardi being a bit fat liability is the same as stating that water is wet.

Clearly they like players who give up a ton of scoring chances, why do you think Sustr was resigned?

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Took a lot of heat because of his contract but he's actually still a decent defender. He adds a missing element to the team. He's a warrior able to dish out crushing hits and also one of the best shot blockers in the NHL. Guy is surely better than his reputation. Was also held back by injuries last season. If he stays healthy, I think he's gonna be able to help the team...

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Nobody is saying we are a lottery team because we signed Dan Girardi. But his addition makes us worse then we were yesterday. Our even strength play last year was nothing to write home about and our PP was really the only thing that we could look forward to. Minus Drouin and add Girardi, we are now significantly weaker on the PP and also weaker 5v5. That's the issue here. We haven't addressed a need here and we paid a pretty big price for it.

(Yes, 3 million for Girardi is a big price)

Plus Stamkos, plus Callahan, minus sub .910 Bishop, plus opened a spot for Koekkoek who was dominant in the Calder Cup playoffs, plus full off-season for a team that had played the most playoff games 3 years running. Just some perspective from the glass half full crowd.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon

What the fricking heck??? A chance to pair with HEDMAN?!?!

He's actually saying there's not really difference between Hedman-Strålman and Hedman-Girardi???? Even in a not-as-stellar career year due to injuries, Stråls is light-years better than Girardi and hasn't even turned 31 yet!! He was a total defensive beast at the World Championships playing 23-29 minutes with Hedman as Sweden's top pair! Then Yzerman says G will NOT be playing 23-24 minutes?? Isn't that part of what the first pair DOES??

Okay, Stråls, waive your NTC and go somewhere you are properly appreciated.

:banghead:

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Oh boy. HF Tampa is going to need more bullets.

DfVq4DI.jpg

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

LOL! It's pretty Funny at this point. I mean i have hope and optimistic things will work out next season, but it was around 6pm this place went dead, thought everyone either shot themselves or passed out from drinking heavily. :laugh:

peanutvendor

Sponsor
Jan 15, 2008
Washington DC
When you look at the team from the beginning of last year we lost the players you expect/want to sacrifice the body to block shots like Boyle, flip, garrison(expectation vs reality) that keep the important players from breaking bones. He fills that gap and has proven to be resilient in that role. Throw him into those defensive situations and you're not risking stralman/Hedman/kk/sergachev as much. No he's not our solution but he's someone who fills a role that will protect those we need on skates to stay on skates. 3/5 for protecting the defensive corp that matters by taking pucks to the body

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
"We use our own analytics" actually explains a lot of the dumb **** they've done in recent years. It does not make me confident for the future.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Nobody is saying we are a lottery team because we signed Dan Girardi. But his addition makes us worse then we were yesterday. Our even strength play last year was nothing to write home about and our PP was really the only thing that we could look forward to. Minus Drouin and add Girardi, we are now significantly weaker on the PP and also weaker 5v5. That's the issue here. We haven't addressed a need here and we paid a pretty big price for it.

(Yes, 3 million for Girardi is a big price)

our pk was 13th overall last year that is why maybe they brought in girardi the shot blocker

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
"We use our own analytics" actually explains a lot of the dumb **** they've done in recent years. It does not make me confident for the future.

How many 30+ year olds came back from seasons like the one Girardi had? How many can even say they had a season that bad? If they really believe the injury excuse, it's not an analytics thing. There is not enough data to make any predictions with any reasonable amount of confidence.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
How many 30+ year olds came back from seasons like the one Girardi had? How many can even say they had a season that bad? If they really believe the injury excuse, it's not an analytics thing. There is not enough data to make any predictions with any reasonable amount of confidence.

There is a lot of factors. Playing on a different team, playing with different players, playing healthy, and not playing as the #2 D, and able to limit mins and focus on their game and not play over their head. Those are the reasons Giradi is getting a second and likely last chance.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com

think is partly fault of system.... vinneaults not sure of spelling system is diff from torts torts was about shot blocking

vinns is more about speed which aint in girardis game and the skating puck out of zone or reach passes etc..

what is girardi good at
physicality check
short passes to forward to move puck out of zone check
shot blocking check
he fails against top line speedy forwards ie kane toews or triplets but guys like ovechkin malkin he does well? why is that well they bring pucks to middle of ice giving him more time as they cross the blue line to set up his defense

if we pair him right
if we use his attributes that he does have correctly
i think he will be a lot better then all of you think

you got to look at guys deeply each is a piece a chapter so to speak.

we lack grit physicality etc.. nash did very well vs pitt with a bit of that we found out vs pitt they can out speed us imho so the speed just aint enough or going to cut it
got to have right mixtures

i am not saying he is great but in ways better then garrison yes in ways might be better then coburn or at least im hoping
declining? is some indications but also vinns system is not for everyone
a guy like brendan smith who DROVE ME NUTTIER THEN QUINCEY IN DETROIT BY 100% excels I think smith is a BUM lmfao and belongs in a beer league but he excels in vinns system so go figure:)

maybe just maybe our system works for girardi he does the little quick passes and lets the guys run the puck

I hope so this is my biggest deepest read ive done in awhile on a guy to get the pluses minuses of them.

Is like today I tried to give good luck on shatty and jw didnt work but you hope:)
really all you can do.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
So to jump on the train, this is a weird, bad move. Not a great use of cap for a player that isn't good. We already had one liability defenseman on the roster with Sustr, so we added another one... great.

Okay, now to find the positive. It's only two years, we have the depth so if he sucks he can easily pass out popcorn, and everyone agrees that he is a fantastic locker room guy who could be a great mentor along with Coburn for the young guys like Koekkoek, Dotchin and Sergachev.

I just have no idea where he fits into the line-up. I guess the means Sergachev won't be in the line-up or we are going to waive Sustr maybe before the season starts?

Oui. Okay positive. Maybe for 10 minutes a night he wont suck. Just pull that off.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

Oh my god

I was just stopping in to see what people thought of this and the thought of girardi paired with Hedman is insane. don't do it Tampa, don't do it.

Took a lot of heat because of his contract but he's actually still a decent defender. He adds a missing element to the team. He's a warrior able to dish out crushing hits and also one of the best shot blockers in the NHL. Guy is surely better than his reputation. Was also held back by injuries last season. If he stays healthy, I think he's gonna be able to help the team...

he doesn't hit all that often. At least, he's not going to be throwing big hits all the time. He battles along the boards and will throw some hits that way but he's not what you'd consider a huge physical presence. His shot blocking is the reason why he's been injured for several years in a row now. He was trending downward before cracking his kneecap blocking a shot 2 years ago and hurting his ankle blocking a shot last year. I think the ankle issues is being used as an excuse but as I said he's been pretty bad at possession stats even when healthy and to the point where it's noticeable that he's always having to defend.

In a zone defensive scheme he can probably be fine as a defender but Tampa will need a gameplan for him to get the puck to a teammate because his MO has just been "fire it out of danger" which inevitably leads to the other team regaining possession and continuing the attack. That's a huge reason why his possession stats are abysmal, he contributes nothing to a breakout the majority of the time.

He's also gotten worse at defending against zone entries, often playing it very soft and leaving a huge gap because he's worried about getting beaten by speed.

I love Girardi for what he did for the Rangers and his leadership is valuable to some extent but I don't think people should expect miracles out of him. He'll defend well enough without the puck but he'll always be defending, which is the problem. Maybe if he's used better than the Rangers used him then he'll do better. Softer third pairing minutes and PKing might help a lot

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I think Serg isn't making the roster.

we have 4 RD. Stralman, Dotchin, Sustr and Girardi. Sadly Sutr is probably gonna take Dotchins spot.. oh god.. what if we get

Hedman - Sustr
Coburn - Stralman
Koekkoek - Girardi

Who do we have at LD?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad