Confirmed with Link: Lightning sign D Dan Girardi (2 years, $3M AAV)

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
You don't pay a guy 3 million to ride the bench. He's going to get 2nd pairing minutes. May even be with Hedman like he was with McDonagh.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Said it all along, he'll be on the ice all season. You don't sign a vet and bench him, especially now with this contract.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
If it makes any feel any better, and probably not, the Canucks signed Del Zotto to the same contract. 2 years, $3M per

Anyone would tell you that of the two, Girardi and Del Zotto, that the latter had them pulling their hair out more. So there's that

MDZ has MUCH more offensive potential and was actually decent in Philly. Helps that he has the Stamkos connection as well, owell guess we'll keep trying to be the Rangers 2.0, predicting a first round exit this year.

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016
Why are people acting like this is the end of the world? I don't get it. :help: He's not going to be used like here like he was in new york.

Just listened to his interview on NHL network and he said Yzerman told him he would in the top 4

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
:cry:

I'll bet he gets 2nd pairing minutes but there's no way they're going to bump Strålman down to third pair so I think Dotchin and Sustr will be competing for the 3rd pairing RD.

Something like...
Hedman - Strålman
Coburn/Koekkoek/Sergachev - Girardi
Coburn/Sergachev/Koekkoek - Dotchin/Sustr.

:help:

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
:cry:

I'll bet he gets 2nd pairing minutes but there's no way they're going to bump Strålman down to third pair so I think Dotchin and Sustr will be competing for the 3rd pairing RD.

Something like...
Hedman - Strålman
Coburn/Koekkoek/Sergachev - Girardi
Coburn/Sergachev/Koekkoek - Dotchin/Sustr.

:help:

and because its Tampa, Sustr will be there instead of Dotchin. God our D sucks. Better hope Kuch and Stammer are gonna score 40-50 goals each this year to make up for our lack of defence

wxkid23

Oct 7, 2014
Kissimmee, FL
Could've just signed Boyle for D, likely better than this bum.

Hockey news scouting report: " Is a player in decline."

Last edited:

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Oh well, he's here now let's give him a chance. I don't like the signing but I'll gladly eat crow if the plan pans out and he becomes be a positive contributor. Yzerman must be seeing something here. Right? Right???

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Epic_Facepalm_by_RJTH25255B125255D5B15D.jpg

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Oh well, he's here now let's give him a chance. I don't like the signing but I'll gladly eat crow if the plan pans out and he becomes be a positive contributor. Yzerman must be seeing something here. Right? Right???

This, its not the end of the world like some are portraying it.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
This, its not the end of the world like some are portraying it.

Nobody is saying we are a lottery team because we signed Dan Girardi. But his addition makes us worse then we were yesterday. Our even strength play last year was nothing to write home about and our PP was really the only thing that we could look forward to. Minus Drouin and add Girardi, we are now significantly weaker on the PP and also weaker 5v5. That's the issue here. We haven't addressed a need here and we paid a pretty big price for it.

(Yes, 3 million for Girardi is a big price)

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
This is the recreation of Sustr-Carle. Might as well pair Girardi with him and plan on giving up 3 goal leads.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
The worst part of this signing circles back around to him and Sustr's places. If he is top 4, so is Stralman, but that means Dotchin is out or 2M in Sustr sits in the pressbox.

If he's not in the top 4....*vomits in mouth*...Sustr is...

So it's basically a waste of money no matter how you look at it unless we plan on moving a recently resigned Sustr or trade the youngest and probably the best option Dotchin in favor of Girardi and Sustr. Imagine that.

Seems like we are always two or three years late signing or trading for defenseman bar Stralman.

And I think people are forgetting how bad Coburn was at times and how it was a toss up between him and Garrison. We are going to have him in the top 4 as well, or recreate the Coburn-Sustr pairing....

In short, we signed the wrong defenseman so far.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
The worst part of this signing circles back around to him and Sustr's places. If he is top 4, so is Stralman, but that means Dotchin is out or 2M in Sustr sits in the pressbox.

If he's not in the top 4....*vomits in mouth*...Sustr is...

So it's basically a waste of money no matter how you look at it unless we plan on moving a recently resigned Sustr or trade the youngest and probably the best option Dotchin in favor of Girardi and Sustr. Imagine that.

Seems like we are always two or three years late signing or trading for defenseman bar Stralman.

And I think people are forgetting how bad Coburn was at times and how it was a toss up between him and Garrison. We are going to have him in the top 4 as well, or recreate the Coburn-Sustr pairing....

In short, we signed the wrong defenseman so far.

I'd move Dotchin now while his value is still high, i don't think he's legit. Dotchin and Girardi play the same style with Girardi having done it in a top 4 role for a long time. If Hedman plays like he did last year he could carry just about anybody. I feel like the Girardi deal is so we can go slow with Sergachev and Foote who are the future along with Hedman. Keep Koekkoek since he's a LD which we need.

How can you say Coburn was bad? Go look at the Raw Charge after season defensive review and he was our 2nd best defender based on the metrics they used. He and Stralman together had some insane shot suppression numbers. When he was with Nesterov and Koekkoek he didn't look as good but that was because of the partner, same with Sustr and Garrison. Sustr and Coburn were not bad down the stretch.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
I'd move Dotchin now while his value is still high, i don't think he's legit. Dotchin and Girardi play the same style with Girardi having done it in a top 4 role for a long time. If Hedman plays like he did last year he could carry just about anybody. I feel like the Girardi deal is so we can go slow with Sergachev and Foote who are the future along with Hedman. Keep Koekkoek since he's a LD which we need.

How can you say Coburn was bad? Go look at the Raw Charge after season defensive review and he was our 2nd best defender based on the metrics they used. He and Stralman together had some insane shot suppression numbers. When he was with Nesterov and Koekkoek he didn't look as good but that was because of the partner, same with Sustr and Garrison. Sustr and Coburn were not bad down the stretch.

At this point I'm all for it because our 5v5 game stinks and now it is going down the toilet. Wrap him up with a nice draft pick and get a decent 5v5 player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad