Post-Game Talk: Lightning @ Rangers 2/10/13 "The Adventures of Wade Richards and Rick Gomez"

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I was the most impressed by the 4th line last night.

Powe-Halpern-Asham looked great! It was refreshing watching that line go to work down low and simply outwork the other team all night. Hard to play against, physical, good speed. I loved it.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Yeah, I think we have to appreciate that Hank essentially stopped two shots on a 4 on 1 before he let one in. That was sweet.

Also, rewatching the game, Gaborik had a very strong game. Shame he didn't get any points, he was everywhere.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
McDonagh played with Girardi,Stralman and DZ last night. Mostly with Girardi and Stralman. He took at least one shift with DZ.

The too many men penalties and poor line changes MUST stop. With the accomplished players and coaches we have, there's absolutely no excuse for it. This is midget-level hockey **** that they're getting wrong.

These two comments are related.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
And I'll say this much- I think Powe will be one of the best bottom six players we've had since the lockout. He does so much right. Solid, solid player. What a ****ing awesome trade.

Bringing up Miller and the return of CK made the bottom six go from absolutely unbearable to a, dare I say it, asset.

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC

Powe-Halpern-Asham looked great! It was refreshing watching that line go to work down low and simply outwork the other team all night. Hard to play against, physical, good speed. I loved it.

Agreed. This is the kind of 4th line the team needs, rather than one that includes some ponderously slow, gigantic goon, a la Rupp, Boogaard, etc.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Agreed. This is the kind of 4th line the team needs, rather than one that includes some ponderously slow, gigantic goon, a la Rupp, Boogaard, etc.

I agree, I just wish the Rangers could find someone who could drop the gloves and be effective AND play that type of game. I know it's asking a lot but a Prust/Moen type would be awesome.

Jackson Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

I agree. A bunch of veterans who know how to play the game. Halpern has been playing well for almost two weeks now. I think he is in game shape now.

I feel very comfortable with that line out there.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
And I'll say this much- I think Powe will be one of the best bottom six players we've had since the lockout. He does so much right. Solid, solid player. What a ****ing awesome trade.

Bringing up Miller and the return of CK made the bottom six go from absolutely unbearable to a, dare I say it, asset.

Yep, called it when the trade went down. Powe is the perfect lower line player for Torts. No nonsence, difficult to play against, can play anywhere and be effective and is a very good PKer. He knows his role and is a very good skater.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I agree. A bunch of veterans who know how to play the game. Halpern has been playing well for almost two weeks now. I think he is in game shape now.

I feel very comfortable with that line out there.

Halpern has been even better than I thought he would be. Absolute steal for what they got him for. His skating is beyond good. He and Powe are very fast and great at pressuring the puck. Add on to that the fact that they actually have some offensive awareness and are great PKers and they have filled rather large roles so far in their short stay in NY already from the 4th line.

SupersonicMonkey*

These two comments are related.

McDonagh with Girardi didn't work last night. Tortorella was mixing the defense pairings to see what works for that game.

I'm sure the carousel attributed to the confusion.

When Tortorella constantly juggles lines, its an issue.

Stability helps create a rhythm. Its important to find chemistry and stick with it.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
On the blueline, Bickel is the new whippingboy, and for a good reason I guess.

But, most teams don't carry a Rupp and have use of him 82 games or 41 games or maybe not even 20 games per season. But it's those handful of games per year when things goes out of hand and you just want to at least force a goon to sit in the box the rest of the night that they are useful. Without Bickel, we don't even have any cannon fodder.

That could come back and haunt us...

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011

But, most teams don't carry a Rupp and have use of him 82 games or 41 games or maybe not even 20 games per season. But it's those handful of games per year when things goes out of hand and you just want to at least force a goon to sit in the box the rest of the night that they are useful. Without Bickel, we don't even have any cannon fodder.

Pyatt's stands the best chance currently.

The man can fight, he just doesn't do it all that often.

TheDave1022

Nov 4, 2008
Carmel, NY
McDonagh with Girardi didn't work last night. Tortorella was mixing the defense pairings to see what works for that game.

I'm sure the carousel attributed to the confusion.

When Tortorella constantly juggles lines, its an issue.

Stability helps create a rhythm. Its important to find chemistry and stick with it.

Pretty sure Sullivan is the one managing the D and makes the changes

Glennsoe

Horndog
Jan 7, 2011
From the main board...

iOjODNOLJZNtL.gif

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

I'd rather outskill teams than outgoon teams. How many Bickels and Rupps have the Red Wings carried? No we're not the Wings, but if you have good skill you don't need garbage players like Bickel and Rupp in the lineup. They're liabilities. BTW, those big bad leafs that looked so tough against Montreal were completely outclassed against us as we skated circles around them. It wasn't Bickel and Rupp that had us dominate them. Meanwhile people think they're some super tough team now.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut

If thats your concern, have no fear because Sather will undoubtably ship a 5th or 6th rounder at the deadline for some random goon that has no place on the roster.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
If thats your concern, have no fear because Sather will undoubtably ship a 5th or 6th rounder at the deadline for some random goon that has no place on the roster.

A few years ago the Rangers were in on Chris Neil when he was a UFA. That is the type of player who would do well in this system. Neil, Prust, Moen, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad