Post-Game Talk: Lightning @ Rangers 2/10/13 "The Adventures of Wade Richards and Rick Gomez"

16 To Stanley*

Anyone remember that game where the Rangers were playing the Islanders and there were only 4 players on the ice for like a minute?

I forget if that was under Torts or Renney.

I think i was at that game. I'm always neurotic about the guys on the ice and constantly think there are too little/too many, so i continuously count. It was the first and too date, only time I have ever been right about there being too few on the ice for an extended amount of time.

Rangers ftw

May 8, 2007
Nash&Hagelin Was real great. The PP had it's moments. Kreider is next be scratched is my guess. He looks a little bit insecure and indecisive. But he will have time to improve, he got the set, just need to learn how to use it!

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Nash&Hagelin Was real great. The PP had it's moments. Kreider is next be scratched is my guess. He looks a little bit insecure and indecisive. But he will have time to improve, he got the set, just need to learn how to use it!

Don't forget he just returned from injury... Give him a game or two.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Anyone remember that game where the Rangers were playing the Islanders and there were only 4 players on the ice for like a minute?

I forget if that was under Torts or Renney.

How about when Renney was plying line matchup and played Orr-Betts-Hollweg for 8 minutes in the first period?

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
First page or two had me rollin. LOL Wade Richards and RICK GOMEZ!!!! lolololol we are so dumb on the average but it's funny endearing stupidity. It's like who gives a damn if we're being too hard on them they're millionaires eff it. That devils PGT was an abomination to fairness and realism.

Rangers ftw

May 8, 2007
Don't forget he just returned from injury... Give him a game or two.

Yeah I know. I'm not saying he's a bust or that we should trade him, just that I think he'll be the next healthy scratch. There is some pressure on the guy, so give him time to adjust is the key!

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005

I'm learning with the rest of you but this guy does things so quickly it's a little hard to catch it sometimes. The pass he made to Gabby in front of the net is one example. These last few games I've become more convinced that Kreider will be special. Not less.

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
The hell are you talking about. Torts said he has been happy with Kreider and Miller. Kreider was good last night. Yes he had a penalty but the game was a blowout with under 2 minutes left. Kreider made some great passes that should have been goals. Also he was open like 4 or 5 times but nobody saw him.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Every time Kreider's on the ice I find myself yelling at the tv for his line mates to give him the damn puck

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
Every time Kreider's on the ice I find myself yelling at the tv for his line mates to give him the damn puck
I agree. I mean i like Miller a lot but the kid is becoming too shot happy and he missed kreider down the ice like 3 times. Brad Richards is the only one who set up Kreider teh right was. Let him use his speed then feed him in front of the net. I kind of wish Torts puts Richards with Kreider they seem to ahve good chemistry

filth e mcnasti

Jan 27, 2013
AZ
Um, Kreider set up two prime scoring chances? Are you guys for real? The dude set up gabby for a perfect goal and got robbed. He also made a beautiful pass to gilroy too.

The kid is fine.

SupersonicMonkey*

Um, Kreider set up two prime scoring chances? Are you guys for real? The dude set up gabby for a perfect goal and got robbed. He also made a beautiful pass to gilroy too.

The kid is fine.

Exactly. The plays didn't put him on the score sheet, but they still happened.

Look at Powe. No box score credit for the two goals he created.

Kreider had a point in the two games prior. A point in two of the three since his return and is a +3.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge

Kreider had a point in the two games prior. A point in two of the three since his return and is a +3.

I was disgusted that Joe Mich didn't point out Powe at all. He wasn't mentioned in post-game either. I wanted so bad to call into Boomer and Carton today to talk about it, but there's no way I'd get past the screeners when I called and said "I want to talk about Darroll Powe!" :laugh:

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012

The kid is fine.
I agree. i mean some people get mad at Boyle getting hate But Krieder has done very well since returning and he is still getting heat from people. The kid cant score every game i mean even nash only has 3 goals. But Kreder should have at least 4 assists in the past 3 games. he set up staal in teh devils game and had 2 very nice set ups last night

filth e mcnasti

Jan 27, 2013
AZ

Yeah exactly, Powe forced the Dman to pass it right to Cally, and we all know what happened then..Dirty Danglin.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I saw the game again last night, and I gotta say that Jeff Halpern played really well.

He is extremely focused on doin the right thin out there for his line. He had a shift in the 2nd period that I would record and use as a instruction video if I were a coach. He had stayed back in the neutral zone but when a lightning player got a bad pass he stepped up with great determination and had the forward whack the puck of Halperns legs so that it went into the lightnings zone Halpern chased it down, and had a somewhat decent opertunity to pick it up and try to go around the D. Instead he focused 100% on just getting it around the boards to Powe who was heading up ice on the opposite side of the ice. It was so obvious that Halpern only had one thing in his mind: get the puck up ice and keep it there.

And he is flying out there. Stepan and Miller beware! ;)

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
I saw the game again last night, and I gotta say that Jeff Halpern played really well.

He is extremely focused on doin the right thin out there for his line. He had a shift in the 2nd period that I would record and use as a instruction video if I were a coach. He had stayed back in the neutral zone but when a lightning player got a bad pass he stepped up with great determination and had the forward whack the puck of Halperns legs so that it went into the lightnings zone Halpern chased it down, and had a somewhat decent opertunity to pick it up and try to go around the D. Instead he focused 100% on just getting it around the boards to Powe who was heading up ice on the opposite side of the ice. It was so obvious that Halpern only had one thing in his mind: get the puck up ice and keep it there.

And he is flying out there. Stepan and Miller beware! ;)

Saw that too. Very good. Like people have been saying, the better the 2 bottom units perform the more ice time will be alloted there. Making our top 2 units fresher in the 3rd periods and at the end of the season. Both very good & extremely decisive situations for long term success. Having Boyle as a spare and Ferriero, Palmieri, Hrivik(still injured though) Mashinter and Newbury/Segal as callup options begins to show good depth. But we will add more (deadline), be so sure... Now just find that 6th D!!! (although Gilroy has by no means been bad, and Stralman has been very good, but Torts does not trust Gilroy I believe)

Rangers ftw

May 8, 2007
The hell are you talking about. Torts said he has been happy with Kreider and Miller. Kreider was good last night. Yes he had a penalty but the game was a blowout with under 2 minutes left. Kreider made some great passes that should have been goals. Also he was open like 4 or 5 times but nobody saw him.

Well, that's good for him since it's Torts and not me coaching :) But I still think he looks a little pale out there.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
On the blueline, Bickel is the new whippingboy, and for a good reason I guess.

But, most teams don't carry a Rupp and have use of him 82 games or 41 games or maybe not even 20 games per season. But it's those handful of games per year when things goes out of hand and you just want to at least force a goon to sit in the box the rest of the night that they are useful. Without Bickel, we don't even have any cannon fodder.

That could come back and haunt us...

I'd rather outskill teams than outgoon teams. How many Bickels and Rupps have the Red Wings carried? No we're not the Wings, but if you have good skill you don't need garbage players like Bickel and Rupp in the lineup. They're liabilities. BTW, those big bad leafs that looked so tough against Montreal were completely outclassed against us as we skated circles around them. It wasn't Bickel and Rupp that had us dominate them. Meanwhile people think they're some super tough team now.

There is definitely a diffrence between the Central and the Atlantic.

Lets look at this from the perspective of this season and the coming season. Rougly 120 games. Some of those games will become heated. Guys like Ryan Callahan and several others will want to keep their heads up in those situations. We have seen it several times the last couple of years. Our team's heavy fights the other team's heavy. The middle weights fight the middle weights. The Callahan's and Dubinsky's has fought the other team's top 2-3 line forwards. And so forth.

I also always sense that the real goons in this league are pretty good at creating a market for themselves. Put yourself in a real goons cloaths, if you play a team that opts to not dress a goon at all but go with skill instead -- you gotta start to wonder why your own coach should choose to dress a goon? That's a serious threat to these guys, of course. Hence you often see these guys really start to create messy situations against teams with no goons...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad