Confirmed with Link: Lightning hire play-by-play announcer Dave Randorf

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Mishkin can go over the top at times when the Bolts score, but the vast majority of the time he’s a superb play-by-play announcer.

And his excessive enthusiasm for goals is actually sort of a good thing for a radio guy, as it helps make up for the lack of visual excitement in seeing the team score. He’d definitely have to dial that back a bit if he ever did TV, though.
Nah he's too much.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Nothing against his announcing or him as a person, but if I may put my singer and audio engineer hat on for a moment I’m not a fan of his voice. He has a rather thin and nasal voice to begin with and he’s not at all good at using it in terms of power or fullness. I actually don’t mind it during play - I’d rather hear the sound of the game anyway so the fact that his voice can get masked at times isn’t necessarily a bad thing for me - but it’s a lot more jarring when he and pretty much any color commentator he works with are conversing during stoppages in play. Obviously he’s had a successful career in spite of it, just as plenty of singers have who don’t really know how to sing, but I’ll still take the likes of Peckham or Mishkin over him any day.
Mishkin is the worst I've ever heard.

Randorf is fine. He will grow on all you negative people

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Dave was really good considering barely any Lightning fan remembers other commentators than Rick calling our games. IIRC Engblom wasn't received nearly as well and had to 'grow on us' for a while. I'm really looking forward to more games with Dave.

Reactions: Major4Boarding

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
People who complain about Mishkins voice just need to stick to watching television. The inflection in his voice when we score or the other team scores is incredible and brings the broadcast alive. TV play by play guys don't have to rely on just audio to convey the game. Turn the volume down if he's too loud

Reactions: berlin

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Dave was really good considering barely any Lightning fan remembers other commentators than Rick calling our games. IIRC Engblom wasn't received nearly as well and had to 'grow on us' for a while. I'm really looking forward to more games with Dave.
Engblom needed to grow into being a bit of a homer.

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
People who complain about Mishkins voice just need to stick to watching television. The inflection in his voice when we score or the other team scores is incredible and brings the broadcast alive. TV play by play guys don't have to rely on just audio to convey the game. Turn the volume down if he's too loud
Dude Mariah Carey thinks he needs to tone it down with the note he hits on the goal calls.

I have no problem with the excitement - it's that he is literally screaming and not conveying information.

Reactions: JoVel

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Isn't that what we're talking about here? I'd rather not hear that old shtick after every goal.

The radio guy doesn't need to convey emotion for me when I tune in, I just need to know what's going on.

Last edited:

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Dave Mishkin is Metal to my ears. That is all.

Metalhead.jpg

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Dude Mariah Carey thinks he needs to tone it down with the note he hits on the goal calls.

I have no problem with the excitement - it's that he is literally screaming and not conveying information.

He screams "goal!"

It's not like like he's screaming into the mic the other 95% of the time or leaves you clueless as to what happened

These complaints aren't really valid

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
He screams "goal!"

It's not like like he's screaming into the mic the other 95% of the time or leaves you clueless as to what happened

These complaints aren't really valid
I mean this is an asinine statement. You're acting like there's an objective criteria here.

Reactions: JoVel

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I like Mishkin’s play by play but his goal screams are just too much.

I argue his play by play is one of the very best you'll hear. When it's 2005 and you're a sophomore in high school and your mom is too damn cheap for cable, you thank the good Lord for Mishkin because the way he calls a game lets you paint the whole rink in your head with just the sound of his voice in just a few words. And it turns out the NHL.com highlights are exactly like you imagined it when you watch them later that night.

And if I'm wrong in that regard, his play by play worked well enough with my quote "visual imagination" to give me the real thing without seeing it. But then this goes on for 16 years and you still don't like the goal calls. It says a lot about how bad it actually is.

Reactions: Peacefool

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I mean this is an asinine statement. You're acting like there's an objective criteria here.

It's not. When you act like he's just screaming into the mic and say he is not conveying information, when 99% of the time he is doing just that. Yes, that is objectively false.

If you don't like him screaming, just say that. Don't say its because he doesn't analyze the game or convey information properly without being prepared to clarify

Last edited:
Reactions: berlin

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I love Dave's call. Including his overly excited goal calls. Makes me smile when I hear it. Not just because we scored but because of his excitement as well. I dont think he's a great fit on TV broadcast but I think he's great on the radio.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
It's not. When you act like he's just screaming into the mic and say he is not conveying information, when 99% of the time he is doing just that. Yes, that is objectively false.

If you don't like him screaming, just say that. Don't say its because he doesn't analyze the game or convey information properly without being prepared to clarify
Really dumb. The goal calls are pretty much what you watch/listen to a game for. They are the indelible memories that last years after the game.

I don't want that memory sullied by his voice cracking at 3 octaves higher and 130 decibels louder than any voice has reason to be at.

Like - orgasms are like 1% of sex for most of us. But if every time I orgasmed my wife decided to spit in my eye, despite competent performance the other 99% of the time, my memories would be dominated by one thing.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Really dumb. The goal calls are pretty much what you watch/listen to a game for. They are the indelible memories that last years after the game.

I don't want that memory sullied by his voice cracking at 3 octaves higher and 130 decibels louder than any voice has reason to be at.

Like - orgasms are like 1% of sex for most of us. But if every time I orgasmed my wife decided to spit in my eye, despite competent performance the other 99% of the time, my memories would be dominated by one thing.

No wonder you hate Mishkin, he's giving you ED. I concede the point, sorry to hear about that!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad