Confirmed with Link: Lightning hire play-by-play announcer Dave Randorf

NatoGhost

Jun 27, 2013
I hate him already. That lisp is horrible and I don't think I can get used to it.

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
Should do fine for you guys. He knows how to call a game; the problem was his lack of professionalism to the point he was being a huge Oilers homer during games he was supposed to be neutral. That's not an issue when he's working for a specific team though.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Watching the old Winnipeg game, God Drouin was so f***ing slick. Boy did he die in Montreal.

Playing on a team that coaches like it's 1998 and refuses to take an actual rebuild seriously has that effect on guys. The fact Drouin needs a good amount of talent around him to succeed doesn't help the issue either.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
The fact he isn't RP is the best part. You try to imitate what, like 40 years in the booth you're gonna look like an idiot. You better have your own style.

RP and Dave are a perfect contrast of Old School versus the prototypical Generation X broadcaster and the differences while subtle, are enormous in effect. One is a fan who became a professional broadcaster for a living and the other is a professional fan for a living who became a broadcaster and says the same thing the fans are saying to each other in the arena or living room. RP was laid back in his tone until something big happened and he hit the pipes but was always consummate professional in every word he says and it's a huge deal when he makes an off-the-cuff remark. Dave is excited in tone, doesn't hit the pipes and is off-the-cuff half the time.

Engblom talks about how he spoke to our opponent's assistant coach who stressed a shooting mentality on the PP. RP says "Thank you very much Brian. We've seen that shooting mentality all night" and Dave can be expected to reply with "Heh. Do you think they took that advice to heart Brian? They have been absolutely peppering Vasilevskiy with shots on the man advantage!" It's literally "fan-speak" and "fan-speak" works great with fast, excited teams like the Lighting

Give Dave about 40 to 50 games when he gets used to saying "The Lightning" instead of "Tampa" and you'll love it even more. His only area of improvement is that he still has to break years of habit that you aren't gonna break overnight.

Last edited:

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
His voice is ok, not great, he's not Peckam. A little too low of a pitch. Having said that, he called a great game and I loved his micro-analysis. You can tell he worked hard to know the roster and his experience was evident. He does more than describe the play, he'll describe the situation, may be a little better than RP at that. Momentum shifts and happenings away from the puck he was on top of, A+ hire.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Nothing against his announcing or him as a person, but if I may put my singer and audio engineer hat on for a moment I’m not a fan of his voice. He has a rather thin and nasal voice to begin with and he’s not at all good at using it in terms of power or fullness. I actually don’t mind it during play - I’d rather hear the sound of the game anyway so the fact that his voice can get masked at times isn’t necessarily a bad thing for me - but it’s a lot more jarring when he and pretty much any color commentator he works with are conversing during stoppages in play. Obviously he’s had a successful career in spite of it, just as plenty of singers have who don’t really know how to sing, but I’ll still take the likes of Peckham or Mishkin over him any day.

Reactions: Five Alarm Fire

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
I prefer not having to be ready to mute my TV whenever my favorite team scores a goal.

Mishkin can go over the top at times when the Bolts score, but the vast majority of the time he’s a superb play-by-play announcer.

And his excessive enthusiasm for goals is actually sort of a good thing for a radio guy, as it helps make up for the lack of visual excitement in seeing the team score. He’d definitely have to dial that back a bit if he ever did TV, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad