Rumor: Lightning calling teams about Coburn and Koekkoek

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Koekkoek could generate some interest, but I find it hard to believe that many teams are interested in a 3.7 mill. bottom pairing guy who is not spectacular. If he was retained at 50% maybe a team comes calling, but even then the return wouldn't be great.

It's really too bad because Coburn is still NHL quality.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I can see trying to move Coburn since it’s a lot to pay for a guy playing bottom pairing, but why bother trying to move Koekkoek? He’s worth what? Like a 3rd or 4th rounder? Why not just keep him as the #7 and hope he progresses?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Koekkoek for a 2nd? Coburn for a 3rd? Or we'd consider prospects, I think. Can't take roster players.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
I can see trying to move Coburn since it’s a lot to pay for a guy playing bottom pairing, but why bother trying to move Koekkoek? He’s worth what? Like a 3rd or 4th rounder? Why not just keep him as the #7 and hope he progresses?
i was thinking the opposite. why would they move a veteran that is an established bottom pair defender instead of the young blueliner that won't get a chance in the lineup on a full basis?

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
If it's my choice, I'm trading Koekkoek out west. Some team is going to be super happy to acquire him.

Coburn can play either side on D, has some veteran leadership, and we don't have to worry about development time. His cap hit isn't great but we have cap space and he is in the last year of his deal.

Koekkoek on the other hand has Hedman and McDonagh on his side of D and they are signed long term. Lightning have Masin developing nicely behind him, very typical case of a pretty talented young player who is going to be squeezed out.

Would be thrilled with a second round pick.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Columbus may have interest depending on cost and how Murray is recovering. Murray could be ready for the start of the season, but as it stands the Jackets are without Jones (until at least November), Murray, and Harrington.

Reactions: Fro

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
If the Lightening wanted to get rid of Colburn they should have called the Islanders in July. We might have given up an 8th round pick, as of now we signed Sbisa

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If it's my choice, I'm trading Koekkoek out west. Some team is going to be super happy to acquire him.

Coburn can play either side on D, has some veteran leadership, and we don't have to worry about development time. His cap hit isn't great but we have cap space and he is in the last year of his deal.

Koekkoek on the other hand has Hedman and McDonagh on his side of D and they are signed long term. Lightning have Masin developing nicely behind him, very typical case of a pretty talented young player who is going to be squeezed out.

Would be thrilled with a second round pick.
The Oilers were rumored to be interested last season and with the Sekera injury and Jakub Jerebek failing to really secure a spot in the preseason, I wouldn't be surprised to see them circle back.

As for the valuation, Koekkoek is a few bad showings away from the waiver wire so a second round pick is extremely optimistic IMO.

McNurse

Sep 2, 2015
I wouldn’t mind Coburn at all, but our cap situation is just to much to take him on

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad