Rumor: Lightning calling teams about Coburn and Koekkoek

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Sens were interested in Slater last season and i think offered a second rounder which was rejected by SY. I cant see us getting that for him now though. If i had to move one it would be Coburn, looks like Cernak may make the opening night roster by the sounds of it.

Yeah, what I find interesting is that we’re reportedly interested in trading either Koekkoek or Coburn. If it was that we’d given up on Koekkoek then he would be the one we’d be looking to move, and the same with Coburn; if the plan was to make Cernak the 7D and to rotate him with Girardi on the right then we’d probably prefer the veteran Coburn as his partner and again would only be looking to trade Koekkoek. And even if we simply thought that both of them suck equally and therefore it doesn’t matter which one starts at 3LD, in that case we would logically pick Koekkoek as the younger player who still might have a shot at improving and being a useful player beyond this season.

But if we truly don’t care which of the two goes that would seemingly indicate that Cernak has leapfrogged both of them and that we’re planning to start him, either on the left opposite Girardi or on the right with Girardi moved to the left. Either way it would mean playing a RHD on the left side but we’re already doing the opposite with Sergachev (though unlike Cernak and Girardi he prefers his off side), and if the Lightning feel that Girardi and Cernak are clearly better than Koekkoek and Coburn then they may prefer to play one of the former two on his off side over either of the latter two on his natural one. This would explain why it doesn’t matter which LHD we move, as whoever remains would be the 7D at that point and wouldn’t figure into our future plans (Coburn because he’ll be gone after this season and Koekkoek because it he doesn’t start this year his career in Tampa is effectively over.)

Last edited:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
We also could be planning to move Serg back over.

Hedman - Stralman
McDonagh - Cernak
Sergachev - Girardi
Koekkoek/Coburn

I think playoff teams with young D could/should be interested in Coburn as a full season rental. Young rebuilding teams should like koekkoek's skillset. Neither should be a difficult trade.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Coburn is a fine bottom pairing defenseman, nothing more, nothing less. He'd bring about what you'd expect.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I'll echo previous sentiments said here. Coburns top 4 days are finished but he's still a servicable bottom pairing player at even strength who could give you PK minutes as well. You can do far worse than him. Keep it simple with Coburns and you'll get a B-

Reactions: Iceman

Alan Wake

It's not a loop, it's a spiral.
Dec 14, 2017
Sounds like they'll finally flush the toilet and rid themselves of Coburn. But moving that cap isn't going to be easy. Yo, Ottawa, I swear Coburn is the second coming of Erik Karlsson. You can have him for the low low price of free. :sarcasm:

If Paquette is on the team and Joseph isn't, I'm going to riot.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
If a deal gets done then it will most likely be a pick.

This. Aside from a pick there are only a handful of things that might make sense for us in exchange for Koekkoek:

- A defensive prospect with solid NHL potential that we can use to restock the farm. The problem is there are very few scenarios in which a team would offer up such a prospect for the waiver-eligible Koekkoek where the prospect in question wouldn’t be a clear downgrade from Slater. One possibility would be a team that’s loaded at RD and in need of a LD; another would be a team that needs an NHL LD now and can’t wait for their prospect to develop. But barring one of those scenarios it’s probable that whatever prospect we might be offered would be less likely to become an effective NHL player than the guy we already have, so in that case we might as well just hold onto him.
- A bottom pairing LD on an expiring deal who would be a clear step up from either Koekkoek or Coburn; the idea is that we get better this season and the other team gets a younger player with more control and future potential.
- A veteran bottom pairing LD on a cheap deal with one more year after this one. The idea here is to get someone who can carry the bottom pairing for a year after Girardi and Coburn both walk at the end of this season. Hedman-Cernak and McDonagh-Sergachev should be a fine top four in 2019 but we’ll need somebody to play opposite Foote on the bottom pairing; it may be difficult to find a suitable UFA willing to take a one-year deal so trading for a player whose contract expires in 2020 might be the best way for us to bridge the gap. The motivation for our trade partner would be the same as in the previous scenario; the primary difference would be the extra year of control and the requirement for a cheaper cap hit as we’ll be entering our tight cap years at that point.
- Finally if we were to trade Koekkoek for a forward, whether an NHL player or a prospect with NHL potential, the main things we’d be looking for are size (along with the willingness to use it) and defensive ability. We’re loaded with forwards but we’re short on size and physicality. I also say defensive ability because nobody is going to offer up a prospect with top six potential for Koekkoek so we’d need somebody well suited for bottom six duty (in other words not one of those one-dimensional offensive tweeners who isn’t good enough for a scoring line at the NHL level but whose game doesn’t fit a defensive or energy line.)

So maybe there’s a hockey trade that makes sense for both sides, but barring that we’ll probably end up taking the best pick we can get for him or keeping him and trading Coburn instead.

Last edited:

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Sounds like they'll finally flush the toilet and rid themselves of Coburn. But moving that cap isn't going to be easy. Yo, Ottawa, I swear Coburn is the second coming of Erik Karlsson. You can have him for the low low price of free. :sarcasm:

You make Coburn sound way worse than he is. Having him on your bottom pairing is not bad, you could do much worse.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
This. Aside from a pick there are only a handful of things that might make sense for us in exchange for Koekkoek:

- A defensive prospect with solid NHL potential that we can use to restock the farm. The problem is there are very few scenarios in which a team would offer up such a prospect for the waiver-eligible Koekkoek where the prospect in question wouldn’t be a clear downgrade from Slater. One possibility would be a team that’s loaded at RD and in need of a LD; another would be a team that needs an NHL LD now and can’t wait for their prospect to develop. But barring one of those scenarios it’s probable that whatever prospect we might be offered would be less likely to become an effective NHL player than the guy we already have, so in that case we might as well just hold onto him.
- A bottom pairing LD on an expiring deal who would be a clear step up from either Koekkoek or Coburn; the idea is that we get better this season and the other team gets a younger player with more control and future potential.
- A veteran bottom pairing LD on a cheap deal with one more year after this one. The idea here is to get someone who can carry the bottom pairing for a year after Girardi and Coburn both walk at the end of this season. Hedman-Cernak and McDonagh-Stralman should be a fine top four in 2019 but we’ll need somebody to play opposite Foote on the bottom pairing; it may be difficult to find a suitable UFA willing to take a one-year deal so trading for a player whose contract expires in 2020 might be the best way for us to bridge the gap. The motivation for our trade partner would be the same as in the previous scenario; the primary difference would be the extra year of control and the requirement for a cheaper cap hit as we’ll be entering our tight cap years at that point.
- Finally if we were to trade Koekkoek for a forward, whether an NHL player or a prospect with NHL potential, the main things we’d be looking for are size (along with the willingness to use it) and defensive ability. We’re loaded with forwards but we’re short on size and physicality. I also say defensive ability because nobody is going to offer up a prospect with top six potential for Koekkoek so we’d need somebody well suited for bottom six duty (in other words not one of those one-dimensional offensive tweeners who isn’t good enough for a scoring line at the NHL level but whose game doesn’t fit a defensive or energy line.)

So maybe there’s a hockey trade that makes sense for both sides, but barring that we’ll probably end up taking the best pick we can get for him or keeping him and trading Coburn instead.

It's funny you bring up a LD and a forward with size. I could see Harpur+Paul from Ottawa for Koekkoek and an AHL contract from Tampa.

Paul seems like he just blew his last chance to make something of himself in Ottawa. He's a big winger/center who at one point was regarded as a decent prospect. He's only 23 years old though. He also cleared waivers, so there's some flexibility there for Tampa.

Harpur is a LD on a 2 year 1 way deal. He has maybe 5th-7thD potential, got a 1 way deal off of a string of good games for Ottawa but hasn't shown anything consistently that would merit being considered a full time NHLer. He's on a cheap 2 year 1 way contract. He has yet to be cut, but would probably clear waivers and could be buried in the AHL until needed for call ups. I think Ottawa would want to include him because if Koekkoek is coming back, they have to cut Harpur, and I doubt they want to pay Harpur 650k to play in the AHL.

Reactions: Gil Scott Perron

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Oilers will give you their higher 3rd for him at 50% or Kassian straight up .
We can't take a roster player. We're trying to create a roster space for cernak. Forward spots full too.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
It's funny you bring up a LD and a forward with size. I could see Harpur+Paul from Ottawa for Koekkoek and an AHL contract from Tampa.

Paul seems like he just blew his last chance to make something of himself in Ottawa. He's a big winger/center who at one point was regarded as a decent prospect. He's only 23 years old though. He also cleared waivers, so there's some flexibility there for Tampa.

Harpur is a LD on a 2 year 1 way deal. He has maybe 5th-7thD potential, got a 1 way deal off of a string of good games for Ottawa but hasn't shown anything consistently that would merit being considered a full time NHLer. He's on a cheap 2 year 1 way contract. He has yet to be cut, but would probably clear waivers and could be buried in the AHL until needed for call ups. I think Ottawa would want to include him because if Koekkoek is coming back, they have to cut Harpur, and I doubt they want to pay Harpur 650k to play in the AHL.

Pittsburgh 3rd + Paul or Harpur (if waived and clears)? No need for both, we just need an AHL body who doesn't have vet status.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
conditional 3rd for Coburn (3rd becomes a 2nd should Coburn re-sign or VGK reach the SCF look at me I'm a regular NHL general manager)
I'd be all over it. Clears some cap early, creates a roster for spot for Cernak and gets TB a late 2nd/3rd.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

- A veteran bottom pairing LD on a cheap deal with one more year after this one. The idea here is to get someone who can carry the bottom pairing for a year after Girardi and Coburn both walk at the end of this season. Hedman-Cernak and McDonagh-Stralman should be a fine top four in 2019 but we’ll need somebody to play opposite Foote on the bottom pairing; it may be difficult to find a suitable UFA willing to take a one-year deal so trading for a player whose contract expires in 2020 might be the best way for us to bridge the gap. The motivation for our trade partner would be the same as in the previous scenario; the primary difference would be the extra year of control and the requirement for a cheaper cap hit as we’ll be entering our tight cap years at that point.

What about another 6/7 defenseman that has cleared waivers? Brett Kulak, if he clears, more specifically.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

He makes 3.5ish for one year. It's an easy contract to move.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
i always liked Coburn ... has he regressed?

Not beyond the level of a servicable NHL vet, no.

He would be a useful bottom pairing guy on most teams. He is a decent skater.

Should be worth a pick as a rental.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->