Rumor: Lies & Deception Thread | What Will You Believe Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
The Oilers have been desperate for wingers and every camp Benson seems like he is more than content with being an AHL guy. No hustle, no hustle, no forcing the issue

His camp in 2019 was unimpressive, but all indications said he looked good this past January (same with the short TC before the play-ins vs. CHI). His 7 game stint before the 2020 TDL was also as good as McLeod's this year, but Holland acquired AA and Ennis and he lost his spot to the vets.

This season Benson ran into the same issue as Bouchard, as the numbers game kept him out of the lineup. Toss in the 2 week quarantine for most of the season and it was guaranteed he was staying in Bakersfield once he was sent down. McLeod got the call-up because Khaira got his bell rung and they had no one else they could trust at centre.

Are people seriously surprised that a Ken Holland led organisation would be completely fine with letting a prospect over-ripen?

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
This past season is really hard to judge for the AHL as competition has plummeted. Some teams were playing with half their roster as almost ECHL level players too. That and the limited teams they played against. Him and Skinner had good years but it's hard to tell how much of that was just quality of competition and how much of it was them
I mean he made mincemeat of the competition last year and did very well the year before, he’s done everything he can to get the call up and yet...

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I see a guy who is more skilled, more potential and on a better contract than Kassian. there is no sane case to keep Kassian protected over him, Seattle might not even him but would sure as hell take Benson.

he has literally played 7 NHLs in a depth role and you're writing off everything about Benson that makes him a good player
No I'm not being a biased Oilers fan.

I see a guy who thinks the game incredibly well and has a great passing ability. I'm not being a biased Oilers fan like you and ignoring his flaws. The same flaws that prevent MANY good AHL players from ever being something in the NHL.

You say how shit Kassian is but you do realize that if you put Kassian in the AHL he would obliterate the league right? Plus Kassian can actually skate at an NHL level.

The NHL becomes faster every year, the minimum skating ability to be effective gets higher and higher and Benson is unfortunately not there.

So for a team that is trying to win now. Do you keep a player that has shown has the ability to play well and be a good player. And when going is a physical force? Or so you keep a guy that has like a 20% chance of ever being an NHL player at this point?

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
Oilers want to sign a guy like Zach Hyman who barely made the NHL until like 25 but don't want to protect an asset who is trending really well but whose development got slowed down a few years ago because of injuries

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Benson would not be a big loss for this team but protecting kassian over him would be sheer stupidity. It would be doubling down on the initial stupid contract given to kassian

Reactions: DarksideGhost

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
He also said that last off-season and then took the highest money available from literally the worst team in the league, lol
That's because it turned out we couldn't fit him in. So he took the money for a year knowing we'd have space for him now. The Players talk man...it's the perfect storm.

The Safe Play

Jul 8, 2011
Bob and Spector agree the Oilers will protect McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH, Puljujarvi, Yamamoto, Kassian, Archibald, Nurse, Keith, Bear, and Skinner.

Bob thinks Khaira gets picked; Spector goes with Benson.
I'd be really shocked if it isn't Benson.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
What’d I miss today? Oilers in on everybody still?

tenor.gif

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
your narrative is so biased

It isn't. Benson not being able to make the Oilers lineup, considering our lack of forward depth, is an indictment. if he can't make it here where could he play in the NHL. Clock ticking, career not going anywhere. Didn't Benson peak as a 15yr old? Looks that way.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
If he wants a Cup he should look at the recent history of generational players and realize that Cups follow the Gretzkys, Lemiuexs, and Crosby’s of the League. We got McDavid PLUS Nurse plus Draisaitl. I hope Hall is smart enough to see this and becomes that last missing piece.
Exactly my point.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Considering that Burkie loves and wants toughness on the Pens, I reckon Kassian and small plus would pry McCann. They don’t want to lose him for nothing.

That would be absolute LARCENY of a trade for us. Less money this year, likely about the same longer term. Younger. Plays C in a pinch. Puts up better numbers. Literally the only thing Kassian does better is fighting, and who cares at all.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Bob responds about Hall by saying never say never and that Smyth/Comrie both returned.

He thinks Hall will stay in Boston, however.

Reactions: Oilhawks

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Bob and Spector agree the Oilers will protect McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH, Puljujarvi, Yamamoto, Kassian, Archibald, Nurse, Keith, Bear, and Skinner.

Bob thinks Khaira gets picked; Spector goes with Benson.
Makes sense to me. I prefer Benson gone personally. But it’s a coin toss.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I see a guy who is more skilled, more potential and on a better contract than Kassian. there is no sane case to keep Kassian protected over him, Seattle might not even him but would sure as hell take Benson.

he has literally played 7 NHLs in a depth role and you're writing off everything about Benson that makes him a good player
ftr I've watched every preseason and TC scrimmage game Benson has played in Oilers jersey. He hasn't been up to much. I think there was one NHL game where he actually looked like he even could be something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad