Recalled/Assigned: Lias to Hartford, Gettinger called up

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Literally everybody thinks this is a good move, but you're all in here arguing about whether he's still a decent prospect or not.

Lets just wait a few weeks and see how he does in the AHL? That should go a long way to settle that question.

This is just a temporary complaint from the same people who will complain every second how shitty he once he's brought back up.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
And that's the thing. Fans expect us the be the best at everything. The "We are New York, we should be the best" attitude. That's just not how it works. New York isn't as appealing to scouts/coaches/players as some may think. Sure, guys like Panarin and Fox wanted to come here, but what about the others like Stamkos and Tavares (to name a few) who were sure fire signings for the Rangers if you believe everything fans said and reporters wrote down.

The same goes for scouts and staff. For every person who feels honored to work for the New York Rangers, there are tens who prefer to work elsewhere. We don't have the best scouts, we don't have the best coaches and we certainly don't have the best prospects or highest average draft pick over the last 10 years. What do people expect? You can be upset if we are bottom of the barrel when it comes to drafting but the Rangers are nowhere near that bad.

• Kreider at 19? Great pick. Not an all star, but a great pick at 19 for what he brings.
  • Miller at 15? Another good selection.
  • Skjei at 28? top-4 defenseman that late in the first round is a good selection.
  • Staal at 12? For what he made out of his career, a damn good selection
  • Del Zotto? Again, playing that many NHL games is good value for where he was picked
  • Stepan in the 2nd round
  • Hagelin and Fast in the 6th

I will be the first one to agree we never really had that sure-fire star, but is that reason enough to "fire Clark"? I just don't agree with that assessment. The need for perfection when it comes to drafting is just ridiculous. That's not how it works.

He's been average

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
It really is shocking how quickly people's opinions shifted on Kravtsov, as soon as he dared go home and get paid more with greater ice time on a familiar team. One month he was a surefire Top 6 prospect, the next he's suddenly bust material. I

/endrant
It's absurd.
Really is. You gotta believe the Rangers knew this "could happen", after all they were half of the party that signed his contract. After all the kid was what 17 when he signed? Why FORCE him too be somewhere where he feels uncomfortable? Man, at that age......just think about it? Similar to a military signing.......away from home, foreign country, different languages u don't understand or speak.
The only thing that I DON'T like about this, is that it would have been better for him adjusting to smaller rinks here a year quicker than where he is now. I am sure that has been said numerous times already.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
It's absurd.
Really is. You gotta believe the Rangers knew this "could happen", after all they were half of the party that signed his contract. After all the kid was what 17 when he signed? Why FORCE him too be somewhere where he feels uncomfortable? Man, at that age......just think about it? Similar to a military signing.......away from home, foreign country, different languages u don't understand or speak.
The only thing that I DON'T like about this, is that it would have been better for him adjusting to smaller rinks here a year quicker than where he is now. I am sure that has been said numerous times already.

Fortunately, I believe about a third of KHL rinks are already NHL size

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Something that probably has been unsaid here, unless I've missed it, is that at this point, I think the organization has higher hopes for Andersson than it does Howden based on how they actually are nursing the player.

Now, while Howden has sucked, I'm getting the impression that they don't expect a ton from him beyond what he is now or what they want him to be. He's been the 3C for the team for nearly 100 games, sometimes getting more or less minutes. He doesn't get benched, and you can say that is a result of effort always being apparent, but just making mistakes. Not saying they've pegged him as only a 3C and that Hartford won't make that a possibility, but he's more ready for on-the-job training for his future role.

Andersson seems to be held in much higher regard. If they cared less, they'd actually keep him up because they'd know he maybe doesn't have much levels to go up in his game. I'm of the belief that the organization thinks he's a top 6 caliber center, or even winger, and that he's getting the conversations from Quinn and the votes of confidence. Obviously we don't know what happens when the team is not visible to the public, or presses, eyes, but to me the signs point to them believing Andersson is a core part of the future, while Howden more than likely is someone who is in a support role.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Sure I hear your point. The counter argument would be that given that most NHLers break down around the same age, getting more utility earlier out of a player should be worth more, all else equal. But maybe I could pull in first pro season or something and see if that changes things.

Playing in the NHL in D+1 doesn't really equate to utility though. Were the Thrashers a better team for Kane being in the NHL at D+1? Not really. It might have been right for his development, but then look at Puljujarvi, who was also in the NHL for part of his D+1. It didn't help him or the Oilers.

There's just too many situations that run counter to the purpose for the relatively small number of picks being looked at.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Something that probably has been unsaid here, unless I've missed it, is that at this point, I think the organization has higher hopes for Andersson than it does Howden based on how they actually are nursing the player.

Now, while Howden has sucked, I'm getting the impression that they don't expect a ton from him beyond what he is now or what they want him to be. He's been the 3C for the team for nearly 100 games, sometimes getting more or less minutes. He doesn't get benched, and you can say that is a result of effort always being apparent, but just making mistakes. Not saying they've pegged him as only a 3C and that Hartford won't make that a possibility, but he's more ready for on-the-job training for his future role.

Andersson seems to be held in much higher regard. If they cared less, they'd actually keep him up because they'd know he maybe doesn't have much levels to go up in his game. I'm of the belief that the organization thinks he's a top 6 caliber center, or even winger, and that he's getting the conversations from Quinn and the votes of confidence. Obviously we don't know what happens when the team is not visible to the public, or presses, eyes, but to me the signs point to them believing Andersson is a core part of the future, while Howden more than likely is someone who is in a support role.

I've said this several times. With young players, if two players are at equal places in development right now, the player leaving something on the table is going to see less ice and/or be scratched. It's how Quinn operates. We saw it with Pionk vs DeAngelo. We saw it with Vesey vs Buchnevich. It's the same thing with Howden vs Andersson.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
I've said this several times. With young players, if two players are at equal places in development right now, the player leaving something on the table is going to see less ice and/or be scratched. It's how Quinn operates. We saw it with Pionk vs DeAngelo. We saw it with Vesey vs Buchnevich. It's the same thing with Howden vs Andersson.

Wow, you're right. It's almost as if the worse players leave mistakes and inferior play on the table, and that's why Quinn likes them.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Fortunately, I believe about a third of KHL rinks are already NHL size
Oh wow! Is that right? News to me. That might be even more difficult, having to change your game according to rink dimensions. Might work to his advantage when he comes and stays here.......he certainly will get time in OT when 3v3, will make ice seem more "spacey".

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Oh wow! Is that right? News to me. That might be even more difficult, having to change your game according to rink dimensions. Might work to his advantage when he comes and stays here.......he certainly will get time in OT when 3v3, will make ice seem more "spacey".

Yeah, idk the exact number though. I suspect @Amazing Kreiderman would

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.

It's a bit a of a stretch to think they currently have higher expectations for Lias than they do for Howden.

Occam's razor can easily be applied here, so no I do not think they are playing Howden in the NHL because they think he has less potential than Lias.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.

When you put it like that it sounds as if it's just a basic coaching decision rather than some soap opera.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Yeah, idk the exact number though. I suspect @Amazing Kreiderman would

You're welcome

4087a72451c80ac74928912b5010f278.jpg

Reactions: UnSandvich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad