Recalled/Assigned: Lias to Hartford, Gettinger called up

Deleted member 23124

Something that probably has been unsaid here, unless I've missed it, is that at this point, I think the organization has higher hopes for Andersson than it does Howden based on how they actually are nursing the player.

Now, while Howden has sucked, I'm getting the impression that they don't expect a ton from him beyond what he is now or what they want him to be. He's been the 3C for the team for nearly 100 games, sometimes getting more or less minutes. He doesn't get benched, and you can say that is a result of effort always being apparent, but just making mistakes. Not saying they've pegged him as only a 3C and that Hartford won't make that a possibility, but he's more ready for on-the-job training for his future role.

Andersson seems to be held in much higher regard. If they cared less, they'd actually keep him up because they'd know he maybe doesn't have much levels to go up in his game. I'm of the belief that the organization thinks he's a top 6 caliber center, or even winger, and that he's getting the conversations from Quinn and the votes of confidence. Obviously we don't know what happens when the team is not visible to the public, or presses, eyes, but to me the signs point to them believing Andersson is a core part of the future, while Howden more than likely is someone who is in a support role.
I've never gotten the impression that the Rangers expected a lot from Howden.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
It's a bit a of a stretch to think they currently have higher expectations for Lias than they do for Howden.

Occam's razor can easily be applied here, so no I do not think they are playing Howden in the NHL because they think he has less potential than Lias.

Well, current expectations would be that Lias is someone that has a higher ceiling, which is future value to the team. He was drafted higher and plays for the organization that drafted him. They are also harder on him for his performance, which is honestly similar of Howden.

There is definitely data (aka "Sophisticated Stats Packages" from the AV era) that they have that we don't have access to, but would you have said at the beginning of the season that they have higher expectations for Andersson and Howden then Chytil because he was demoted? I would say no, because they know that he could become something special for this team. I think they feel they can push both to get to a level they expect. It's possible this is the level they expect Howden to be and that it's of an NHL player.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Well, current expectations would be that Lias is someone that has a higher ceiling, which is future value to the team. He was drafted higher and plays for the organization that drafted him. They are also harder on him for his performance, which is honestly similar of Howden.

There is definitely data (aka "Sophisticated Stats Packages" from the AV era) that they have that we don't have access to, but would you have said at the beginning of the season that they have higher expectations for Andersson and Howden then Chytil because he was demoted? I would say no, because they know that he could become something special for this team. I think they feel they can push both to get to a level they expect. It's possible this is the level they expect Howden to be and that it's of an NHL player.

His sigma score would indicate high improbability of reaching originally projected ceiling

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
Something that probably has been unsaid here, unless I've missed it, is that at this point, I think the organization has higher hopes for Andersson than it does Howden based on how they actually are nursing the player.

Now, while Howden has sucked, I'm getting the impression that they don't expect a ton from him beyond what he is now or what they want him to be. He's been the 3C for the team for nearly 100 games, sometimes getting more or less minutes. He doesn't get benched, and you can say that is a result of effort always being apparent, but just making mistakes. Not saying they've pegged him as only a 3C and that Hartford won't make that a possibility, but he's more ready for on-the-job training for his future role.

Andersson seems to be held in much higher regard. If they cared less, they'd actually keep him up because they'd know he maybe doesn't have much levels to go up in his game. I'm of the belief that the organization thinks he's a top 6 caliber center, or even winger, and that he's getting the conversations from Quinn and the votes of confidence. Obviously we don't know what happens when the team is not visible to the public, or presses, eyes, but to me the signs point to them believing Andersson is a core part of the future, while Howden more than likely is someone who is in a support role.

I do t think it works like that. If they Rangers felt Lias could contribute at the NHL level he’d be playing at that level. They are not “nursing” his development along( he’s already played the equivalent of a full season at the NHL level) so it’s hard to say that now they are trying to allow him to progress at his own pace.

The bottom line is Lias is not an NHL player right now. He has enormous gaps in his skill set and until those are improved he’s basically useless at the NHL level. Howden has skills that can be useful to a coach. I don’t think it’s any more complicated than that.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
But that's fine. Gettinger is a AAAA player with a 4th line upside. I'd rather use him in that role. Who else are we calling up to play 5-10 minutes a night?
Didn't think that far to be honest, afa an alternative call up. But tells me Mika is not coming back for a little longer.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
His sigma score would indicate high improbability of reaching originally projected ceiling

You can't really argue against the ceiling being lower, but him reaching it best is with more minutes. The AHL is the spot for that and hopefully he goes down there with the competent management there and can do what Chytil and Lindgren did.

Put his head down and work. Still 21 and development isn't linear, but the odds of busting or not reaching his highest point are definitely higher that last year at the same time.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
So Quinn literally said "this and that" in regards to what Andersson needs to do better. That's cool.

Are you suggesting that Quinn hasn't directed Lias personally already what he needs to do?

Having seen Quinn's other comments, it's pretty clear he's said quite a bit to Lias. So, that was rhetorical. He also essentially challenged the kid openly. We will see if he responds. But stop posting these half-truths. It's just so disingenuous.

Reactions: Mac n Gs and Trxjw

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I'm suggesting Quinn's demands are nebulous.

They aren't. I read his full set of comments. It's almost exactly what I said the other day.

It's very easy to analyze the play of a player without having to use line-mates as a crutch. Lias has sucked, the effort has been spotty, and he just hasn't improved his game. If we actually care about accountability, this is a great move. Challenging Lias to improve himself and cutting the line-mates excuse off at the knees was crucial.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
They aren't. I read his full set of comments. It's almost exactly what I said the other day.

It's very easy to analyze the play of a player without having to use line-mates as a crutch. Lias has sucked, the effort has been spotty, and he just hasn't improved his game. If we actually care about accountability, this is a great move. Challenging Lias to improve himself and cutting the line-mates excuse off at the knees was crucial.
"Yes, I put him in a shitty situation but it's still his fault."

Granted, that's a step up from AV who would somehow spin it as Andersson having the best usage on the team.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
"Yes, I put him in a ****ty situation but it's still his fault."

Granted, that's a step up from AV who would somehow spin it as Andersson having the best usage on the team.

This is just such excuse-making to me. Lias's inability to play above his line-mates is on him. Not Quinn. If you're unable to evaluate a player by himself, that's something you should address. It's not the coach.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
This is just such excuse-making to me. Lias's inability to play above his line-mates is on him. Not Quinn. If you're unable to evaluate a player by himself, that's something you should address. It's not the coach.
The player needing to improve and the coach using him poorly are two independent things.

You just don't seem to be able to understand that.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
You can't really argue against the ceiling being lower, but him reaching it best is with more minutes. The AHL is the spot for that and hopefully he goes down there with the competent management there and can do what Chytil and Lindgren did. Put his head down and work. Still 21 and development isn't linear, but the odds of busting or not reaching his highest point are definitely higher that last year at the same time.

I agree. He has improved over last year. And he has played well, down in Hartford before. He will be back. He will show his improvement with the Wolf Pack. He's on a upper trajectory.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Gettinger has got a good opportunity to use his size, speed and physicality here. With Haley being waived and sent down, Gettinger has a possible spot to fill. I wish the 21 yr old all the best.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Gettinger has got a good opportunity to use his size, speed and physicality here. With Haley being waived and sent down, Gettinger has a possible spot to fill. I wish the 21 yr old all the best.

Haley cleared waivers, but has not been assigned to Hartford. He practiced today (on the 2nd line--Chytil had the day off). Gettinger practiced on the 4th line. He'll play tomorrow.

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
The player needing to improve and the coach using him poorly are two independent things.

You just don't seem to be able to understand that.

Another way to look at this is Lias needs his linemates to carry him because he clearly can’t carry them. Lias showed absolutely nothing to get moved up to higher lines. My hunch is, if coach Quinn placed him on a top line, the players around him would see a drop in production too.

Bottom line is, Lias is just not an NHL ready player, has serious flaws in his game, can’t skate well enough and is essentially useless at this point. Hopefully he gets it together in Hartford but I have my doubts that he will ever be an impactful NHL player.

AlaBlueShirt

Mar 14, 2018
They should have looked to trade him right after he threw that medal into the crowd. He doesn't have enough talent to be someone with an attitude problem like that. They could have sold high on him instead of letting his value sink to where it is now.
Lmao delete your acc
Wtf attitude problem? Ngl I’ve seen some dumb ass posts around here but you just took the #1 spot

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
They should have looked to trade him right after he threw that medal into the crowd. He doesn't have enough talent to be someone with an attitude problem like that. They could have sold high on him instead of letting his value sink to where it is now.

I agree. After picking him, we should of immediately flipped him for 9th overall to Detroit.

Holland was hot and heavy for him apparently, and may potentially have thrown in a second or third rounder in the deal. And then we would of been freed up to take a kid that we'd had five to ten extra minutes to scout.

Last edited:

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

hqdefault.jpg

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
And if you zoom in tightly on a section approximately 10 metres from the bow, on the starboard side, you will see a silver medal slowly descending to the bottom.

It's really hard to throw that thing with all that pesky water coming in!

But it doesn't matter, Lias was too slow to escape the ship as it sank.

Captain Quinn momentarily thought about throwing him a line, but then decided Lias wasn't doing enough of the small things. When asked if a rope would've helped, he replied, "Yeah, probably."

Commodore Clark, the bastard responsible for this disaster, was airlifted to shore. Once there, he will tried, sentenced, and shot out of a cannon for his transgressions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad