Recalled/Assigned: Lias to Hartford, Gettinger called up

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
A lot of people really underestimate the value of confidence. Unfortunately, that's not something Quinn can give Lias simply by giving him more minutes and/or better linemates. It's something Lias needs to earn for himself. Having success at the AHL level can do that and hopefully, when he comes back, it will carry over into his play at the NHL level.

I see Lias as an NHL player right now, but one that is playing to avoid mistakes rather than to make things happen. He needs to find his swagger again.
Totally agree that Lias is playing solely to avoid mistakes.

Any time he gets the puck going into the OZ he just dumps it in and changes. He seems to get nervous when the puck is on his stick in the NZ and just moves it right away instead of trying to make a play. He clearly is playing to not make mistakes and that is not a good way for a player to play. Yes, try and avoid mistakes but that can't be your driving mindset.

Reactions: LokiDog

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Finally!!!
Fortunately/unfortunately finally!

Fortunately for him, as he will at the very least get to play substantial minutes, hopefully put his nose to the grindstone and EARN another call up/chance.

Unfortunately........for him, this is what "had" to be done.
Nobody likes to get sent down.......but NOW, we will find out if he is what he is........or, is much better than what he is showing, due to lack of playing time. IMO, he has got to get tougher, continue to work on his skating and moves, and last but not least.......become "noticeable".

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Does Gordie deserve to be fired if Lias busts? No probably not, because that's just how these things go.

At this point, I can only see Gordie leaving because he is retiring and they will have Bobrov *hopefully* take over

I don't think he deserves to be fired but anytime a high pick isn't doing well the scouts deserve even minimal amounts of blame. The Rangers were working hard to move up to grab Petterson and that fell through and ultimately had to pick the guy that was 3rd on their list for the 7th overall pick. It isn't like Mittelstadt is tearing it up with 7 points in 20 games and is currently on a 10 game pointless streak.

This isn't a McIlrath level miss. I don't even really know that it is a miss because there is still plenty of time for Lias to still develop.

Is it me, or does a lot of the discussion about Lias remind anyone of the Malholtra situation?

In the sense that they were both picked 7th overall and rushed into the NHL? Sure.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
On the flip end of this.......how much you wanna bet GETTINGER is much more noticeable and makes a few plays due to his speed. With Lias.......Zippo.
Well, for Gettinger I would be surprised if he isn't. He is a former 5th round pick who is likely suited for a career bottom 6 role at best. He knows his opportunities will be few and far between.

Additionally, the guy is 6'6 so that alone might make him more noticeable :laugh:

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Are they going to play in a 3rd/4th line role with PK time in Hartford? That would make the most sense if that's what they want from him in the NHL. Having him go down there and play as the 1C with huge PP time and neglect defensive responsibilities won't help him when his NHL roll will be completely different.
This is an excellent point, and BEGS the question "is that all they are expecting him to become?"
I hope he plays and line with decent linemates while being coached into playing solid defense as well.
You know......That 200 ft. center that would behoove the Rangers in every way. Regardless a 2nd, 3rd or 4th liner we need him to be solid defensively. Oh yeah, and work on faceoffs, or he will eventually become a winger if he doesn't improve there.

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
Being responsible for drafting one of the biggest busts in franchise history is a pretty big negative. Lias looks like he could be heading down the same road. Not to mention wasting 2nd rounders on crappy goalies. This franchise isn't in any position to be pissing away draft picks.

Do you give Clarke credit for drafting Chytil at 21 in the same draft as Andersson?

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Well, for Gettinger I would be surprised if he isn't. He is a former 5th round pick who is likely suited for a career bottom 6 role at best. He knows his opportunities will be few and far between.

Additionally, the guy is 6'6 so that alone might make him more noticeable :laugh:
Size is a good thing. Use it better than Brian Boyle and hit more than Boyle with more speed.......would be a wonderful thing. I like the kid, he had a very decent camp and deserves the call up. Let's see if he can stick.

Deleted member 23124

i wasn't around here then, but if Lias turns into a player like that it's totally fine.

I think some people are too hung up on the 7th OA tag. Yes it'd be ideal if that guy was a top 6 player.

But this team desperately needs a Malholtra type player. And if you can get a good matchup C who can play around the net, win faceoffs, and PK well that's great news.

If Lias turns into that guy, I won't be disappointed.
And Malholtra was a 7OA as well.

Reactions: East Coast Bias

Deleted member 23124

I don't think he deserves to be fired but anytime a high pick isn't doing well the scouts deserve even minimal amounts of blame. The Rangers were working hard to move up to grab Petterson and that fell through and ultimately had to pick the guy that was 3rd on their list for the 7th overall pick. It isn't like Mittelstadt is tearing it up with 7 points in 20 games and is currently on a 10 game pointless streak.

This isn't a McIlrath level miss. I don't even really know that it is a miss because there is still plenty of time for Lias to still develop.

In the sense that they were both picked 7th overall and rushed into the NHL? Sure.
Also, neither was a favorite of the head coach.

Rangerfans

Oct 12, 2008
I look at a player like McKegg whom has shone glimmers during the few moments he has been off the fourth line. It appears that he has been awarded for his play.
It’s just an example of the coach instilling this theory that he awards those whom deserve it. I’m sure many can easy show examples of the opposite being true.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I see lots of reference to McKegg doing X in his limited time, or Smith doing X, or even Haley doing X. McKegg is basically a career 13th forward who is absolutely accustomed to receiving minimal TOI and fighting just to have a spot on a roster. He's also a veteran, at 27. Same for Brendan Smith--guy as been through the ringer the past couple seasons and as a veteran who almost lost it all, understands what he needs to do to be successful even in a reduced role (or in a role as forward that he's not really familiar with). Haley was the same--very veteran player who has a specific job in his role as 12th forward, and is comfortable only getting out there for a few minutes every night.

And all these guys are used as a comparison for Andersson, a "If they can do it, why can't Lias?" thing. Lias is 21, is not familiar with the role of playing on the fringe of the roster, getting sometimes just five minutes per night, and he clearly doesn't know how to adjust to it. You can say that's on him, and that's fine, but it's really not fair to compare him to guys whose job it is to play on the fringes.

Maybe Lias truly busts and has to learn to play on the fringe of a roster. But here's the thing--he's probably going to go to Hartford and play 15-18 minutes per night again. And when he comes up, based on what we've seen to this point, he'll probably be dropped right back into that 4C spot, getting to kill a couple penalties and then 4 minutes of 5-on-5, and he'll probably look lost. It's not like he's never shown anything--he very clearly won a job out of camp; he was better than Chytil, Howden, Kravtsov, etc. And IMO, for the first five or so games, he looked pretty solid. Then, he just kind of fell apart. If you're not used to playing five minutes per night, and suddenly that's what you have to do, I would imagine it's tough--and more so for Andersson who is still learning to play in the NHL than our veteran fourth line players who do that job for a living.

I have no doubt Andersson will be a successful NHL player. But, I don't really see much of a plan for him, here. I hope they move him while he still has some value. I don't like Puljujarvi, but at this point I'd totally be okay with that move happening.

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
I don't think one of them is any better than the other overall, but what exactly is with this myth that Howden is good defensively?

He looks and seems like he should be good defensively, but he's not. I think by the metrics he's one of the worst defensive players in the entire league and by the eye test he makes countless poor decisions in the D zone, is always out of position and always seems to win battles or make smooth zone exits. I'm sorry, I'm not done with Howden I have time for him him but he stinks defensively. From the eye test, Howden is the one guy who seems to always seems to be out of position, always seems to fail to take away a lane and also seems to really struggle clearing the puck when the opportunity is there - both of which are why he's an abysmal penalty killer. Moreso the positioning.

Howden would be better served getting no PK time and sheltered minutes from DQ. As of now he's being fed 3c defensive minutes and tons of PK time and he is completely floundering in that role. He works hard and maybe he can be that guy in the future but last season and now this season DQ has been using him like he's already that guy and he has failed to improve one iota, if anything he's regressed. He looks worse this season than he did last year at this time. Maybe slide Fast down to his RW to give him a defensively responsible linemate.

Honestly, the only thing I can definitively say he has over Lias is that he's bigger than him. And he's a better skater sure but his horrible positioning seems to neutralize that so it's basically even. Who cares if you're a better skater if you're never in the right spot and not using your superior skating effectively? Other than that they've both been pretty much nothings.

I'm not suggesting that Howden is a key defensive stalwart out there but he has useful qualities that a coach will look for. I believe he is capable of making a play with the puck on his stick in the defensive zone and that's something Lias just can't do right now. It seems like Howden is getting a lot of defensive zone starts because he is currently the guy Quinn trusts most on faceoffs so that would skew his stats.

I'm a little confused by your argument that Quinn should be sheltering Howden... He should be sheltering all these guys but he needs to put someone on the ice! My hunch is a lot of Quinn's job right now is putting the lesser of two evils on the ice. Right now, between Lias and Howden, I think Howden is the better option.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I think at 24, nearly 25, Lettieri is pretty well-established as a 4A guy. So as a rebuilding team, you call up the guy that could be an NHLer.

And we talked about this going into the season. Best case scenario, the Rangers would hopefully get to take a look at a good number of their prospects at both forward and defense. Fox, Lindgren, Rykov, Keane, Hajek, Gettingger, Andersson, Chytil, Lettieri. Maybe an outside shot for someone else. Giving all of these guys some experience at the NHL level is a plus.

Reactions: Tawnos

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Great? I think that's a strong word. Kakko fell into his lap, but his other top 10 picks have not advanced this organization forward. McIlrath was a bust. The jury is still out on Kravtsov and Andersson, but it ain't looking too good right now.

The Rangers are crawling out of the rebuild primarily because they got lucky with Kakko and acquired Trouba and Panarin. As a fan who is happy with the direction the organization is going, I'd argue it's been in spite of Clark, not because of him.

Until Kravtsov packed up and went back to Russia, this board was swooning over him. He was largely considered to be a top-10 prospect league wide. If you want to say he's whiffed on some high picks then go right ahead, but let's not pretend that he hasn't stocked the pool with a number of other high quality players since the rebuild kicked off. We can debate the true meaning of "Great" as much as we like but I can't for a minute buy the notion that this organization has the best prospect pool in the league in spite of the guy who is supposed to be leading the way.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
We have reached the Timmy Gettinger portion of the Rangers season. He was called up this time last season.

Good luck trying to make an impression in your 5 minutes of playing time.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Until Kravtsov packed up and went back to Russia, this board was swooning over him. He was largely considered to be a top-10 prospect league wide. If you want to say he's whiffed on some high picks then go right ahead, but let's not pretend that he hasn't stocked the pool with a number of other high quality players since the rebuild kicked off. We can debate the true meaning of "Great" as much as we like but I can't for a minute buy the notion that this organization has the best prospect pool in the league in spite of the guy who is supposed to be leading the way.

It really is shocking how quickly people's opinions shifted on Kravtsov, as soon as he dared go home and get paid more with greater ice time on a familiar team. One month he was a surefire Top 6 prospect, the next he's suddenly bust material. It's absurd.

/endrant

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad