Player Discussion Lias Andersson

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrlandK

Oct 18, 2017
Westchester NY
yeah, all busts play almost 1000 games in the nhl...
Manny was a great guy and would have had a better career except for a terrible eye injury (like Staal). That said he averaged about .3 point a game, but was solid defensively. Perhaps a roadmap for Lias. So if you think 25 points a year for Lias means he's not a bust for a 7th draft pick, enjoy.

For most that will be a huge bust - which is why I think he will ultimately be better off starting over with another team.

Skating and stick handling is what separates most elite prospects from the run of the mill. Could one improve - of course - but you could say that about 100's of prospects. Elite talent is still the best indicator of future success, and even that doesn't always work.

Reactions: Crease

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Zibanejad clearly has, and Chytil looks to be ahead of Lias. I would say that I’m much more bullish on both Kravtsov and Miller in that regard.
Thats fine, and I don’t necessarily disagree but that’s still 4 out of 20 players, and only 2 of them are NHL players, with one of them being a rookie still, it’s a pretty high standard to hold even NHL players to. I still see Lias as becoming a Kadri type player, who’s only a 3C because he has a Matthews and Tavares in front of him, but he’s probably a higher end 2C

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Lias was progressing until he got called up this year. He struggled at the NHL level which is damn fair for a 19 year old, was sent back down and seems discouraged by it at the moment. He is letting it get to him because he seems much less engaged than his first stint in the A this year. You cant sit here and label/project him as a 3C at this point so early in his career at a time when it seems the mental part is overshadowing the physical part.

Needs way more time.

There also isnt a ton of talent down there for him to work with whether he is logging 1C or 2C minutes.

Last edited:

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Rangers are acting very strange on this one. The team has no chance making the playoffs and thus have a great chance developing Lias in the NHL right now.

I do understand his concerns, if he is not good enough for this Rangers team then what about his future next season?

Not strange at all.

Just wait until we deal players off the current roster, Lias will be up. Assuming he earns it with his AHL play. I don't watch those games so i'm not sure how's he doing. Stat wise could be better over the last month. But as usual, the Pack are a complete dumpster fire.

Reactions: haveandare

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Thats fine, and I don’t necessarily disagree but that’s still 4 out of 20 players, and only 2 of them are NHL players, with one of them being a rookie still, it’s a pretty high standard to hold even NHL players to. I still see Lias as becoming a Kadri type player, who’s only a 3C because he has a Matthews and Tavares in front of him, but he’s probably a higher end 2C

I’m not sure I see a high end 2C. I see his attributes, but I have him in the same mold as Howden. And from what I’ve seen, I think Howden is the better defensive player.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I’m not sure I see a high end 2C. I see his attributes, but I have him in the same mold as Howden. And from what I’ve seen, I think Howden is the better defensive player.
I think they’re in the same mold as far as they’re both ‘two way centers’ but I don’t really see them as all that similar, but I’m going to agree to disagree because I don’t really want to be in a long LA discussion/debate this morning

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Lias was progressing until he got called up this year. He struggled at the NHL level which is damn fair for a 19 year old, was sent back down and seems discouraged by it at the moment. He is letting it get to him because he seems much less engaged than his first stint in the A this year. You cant sit here and label/project him as a 3C at this point so earlier in his career at a time when it seems the mental part is overshadowing the physical part.
I think that this is a great point. Clearly he is sulking right now. He was doing well at AHL prior to the call up. He just has to get his head right and then we can see what happens.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I think that this is a great point. Clearly he is sulking right now. He was doing well at AHL prior to the call up. He just has to get his head right and then we can see what happens.
Clearly? How do you know he's not playing through an injury? How do you know he's not just in a slump? I love your assumptions as usual with nothing to back it up.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Clearly? How do you know he's not playing through an injury? How do you know he's not just in a slump? I love your assumptions as usual with nothing to back it up.
FWIW, I think I was the first to say he was "sulking" a couple weeks ago. It was just based on his general demeanor and how he's really not getting involved in anything. It did cross my mind that it could be an injury, but it's just so obvious that he's not in the game, it would be hard to believe that he had an injury that the team wasn't picking up. But I've also said the "sulking" thing was just my observation and may not actually be the case. Something is causing him to disengage, though.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

pblawr

Jul 16, 2016
FWIW, I think I was the first to say he was "sulking" a couple weeks ago. It was just based on his general demeanor and how he's really not getting involved in anything. It did cross my mind that it could be an injury, but it's just so obvious that he's not in the game, it would be hard to believe that he had an injury that the team wasn't picking up. But I've also said the "sulking" thing was just my observation and may not actually be the case. Something is causing him to disengage, though.

Yeah, to be fair, virtually the whole Hartford team has been a disaster. It's not just Lias by any means. Basically everyone is disengaged and seems to be mailing it in. It would be tough to exaggerate how bad they looked against the Phantoms on Sunday. The 4th goal they gave up wouldn't have been acceptable in high school hockey. I would assume there is a lot I don't know, but it seems to me like there is some kind of serious issue there and I would be confused if McCambridge ends up staying.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Also, I still stand by my initial observation that he was just fine in the NHL. He was given primarily fourth line duties, and I think he handled them well.

He was 11th in P/60, ahead of guys like Namestnikov, Chytil, and Strome. He'd be 8th in Shots/60. 9th in Takeaways/60. 5th in Hits/60. 15th in iCF/60, right ahead of Buch, ahead of Fast, Howden, Nieves. His CF%Rel sucked but is right in the middle of all the guys he played with, ahead of McLeod, Nieves, Howden, Spooner, right behind Lettieri and Strome, etc. I mean we could go and analyze his stats all day but my point is I don't think he looked at all out of place. I think he could have been left there for a lot longer and done fine. I also think he could have stepped up to the 3C when Howden decided he no longer wanted to contribute anything and he would have done much better in terms of production.

The AHL performance since being sent down is disconcerting, but it's not like he can't handle it. 14 points in 25 games as a teen last year (on a bad team) and 12 in 14 before he was recalled this year. I hope he gets over whatever he's battling.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
hartford has been a disaster for a while now. its a problem.

anyone who thinks shesty will want to go there is mistaken. russian kids have no interest at all in coming over and riding a bus from hartford to binghamton ny.

its one thing if its a winning culture but hartford is a hot mess.

as for LA, he was taken 7OA and cant stay in NY on a team that isnt very good.

sulking is to be expected i guess. feel bad for the kid but he's starting to soften my belief that he was worth 7OA.

still time though

Reactions: Wind Waker

dangsLITE

Jan 16, 2011
NYC
Sulking is kinda more concerning for him that it would be for other players since one of his best qualities is supposed to be his intangibles/leadership.

You'd think he would be rising to the occasion

Reactions: Irishguy42

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I dont wanna get ahead of ourselves, Lias is a young kid and much like Zibanajad or Schieffle(not comparing skill sets just time frames) he may take longer that we were hoping. I still think he has the skill set and the heart to be a good player, I think they will work on his skating and off ice training and when he fills out i do think he will be good for us. The only reason Chytil is ahead is because he is already a good skater, I have full confidence they will fix Lias skating.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
How can you back up your version? It's all speculation and discussion. Hello, welcome to HF boards. It's what we do here.

Zats Muccarello

Grinder
Dec 30, 2010
NYC
hartford has been a disaster for a while now. its a problem.

anyone who thinks shesty will want to go there is mistaken. russian kids have no interest at all in coming over and riding a bus from hartford to binghamton ny.

its one thing if its a winning culture but hartford is a hot mess.

as for LA, he was taken 7OA and cant stay in NY on a team that isnt very good.

sulking is to be expected i guess. feel bad for the kid but he's starting to soften my belief that he was worth 7OA.

still time though

Bing aint so bad lol

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
We need to make Hartford not such a mess. I feel like it hurts our development.
Toronto are where they are rn in large part due to how good of a developmental program the Marlies are, same but to a much lesser extent with Tampa and the Crunch. Rangers need a complete rehaul in Hartford and I think they should start by looking to get a coach from the CHL like the Leafs did with Keefe and Tampa did with Groulx.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Toronto are where they are rn in large part due to how good of a developmental program the Marlies are, same but to a much lesser extent with Tampa and the Crunch. Rangers need a complete rehaul in Hartford and I think they should start by looking to get a coach from the CHL like the Leafs did with Keefe and Tampa did with Groulx.

It's easy to develop high level players. We have nothing outside of maybe Andersson,Hajek and Gilmour there to work with and the team stinks. You can change the coach 12 times but until our prospect pool is large enough to ice a decent team it isnt going to help. Everyone in the leaf organization has looked good because of their scouts, same goes for Tampa.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
your ahl affiliate is only as good as your drafting....

there's a reason the syracuse crunch produce good nhl players.

ill leave it at that

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
It's easy to develop high level players. We have nothing outside of maybe Andersson,Hajek and Gilmour there to work with and the team stinks. You can change the coach 12 times but until our prospect pool is large enough to ice a decent team it isnt going to help. Everyone in the leaf organization has looked good because of their scouts, same goes for Tampa.
And look how Lias and Hajek are playing, their stats are really bad. Hartford is not good enough for the development of our players. This falls on our talent evaluators for not bringing in good AHL vets to help the youngins out and the coaching in Hartford not being good

Reactions: Off Sides
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille