Player Discussion Lias Andersson: Part III

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
I kept saying to everyone the Rangers are going to pick Cake Makar And then the Avs ruined it. And they did get Chytll.
Lias ended up being a nutter. It happens.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Senators got 4 2nd round picks (as well as 3 1st rounders and 2 3rd rounders) could that be the destination for Silver Thrower?

LA Kings got 3 2nd rounders and so does Detroit.
I would love to send him to Ottawa for a 2nd in this draft but he's not worth a 2nd. Barely worth a third rounder.

Reactions: egelband

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
For picking Kreider over Josefson and Schroeder? For picking Hagelin and Fast late? Stepan in the 2nd round? Miller, Lundkvist, Chytil, Wall, Shestyorkin, finding Talbot, Georgiev, Zuccarello

Every team makes mistakes in the draft. Tampa picked Koekkoek and Connolly in the top 10. Columbus with Filatov and Picard. Pittsburgh picked Derrick Pouliot 8th overall. Blackhawks picked Skille and Barker.

Nobody would ever claim the Rangers are among the best when it comes to drafting, but they are far from the worst

The stats (points and games played, collectively and per pick) place them very comfortably among the worst in the league.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I could understand that, but that's a convenient reason. When he's already made it clear that he has no interest in coming back to the team for next season, I'm more skeptical of the COVID reason.

Clearly something happened between him and the team, and he doesn't want to play for us anymore.

Agreed! Isn't Sweden one of the countries that basically has no restrictions on covid right now? I really don't know either way but many have been saying they are and will be in horrible shape so I doubt it's the Covid reason as well.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
If it truly was COVID-related, I'd be more accepting. Without knowing that, though, it just falls back into the emerging image of a guy who doesn't particularly want to be here.

Kravtsov ran away like a scared little boy but came back and worked hard. I admire that about him. Since he ran home, I haven't seen or heard one thing that makes me think Lias wants to put in the work to make it here, with us. I would expect a guy in his position who REALLY wanted to make it to say say, f*** yeah, I will be over for camp and I will bust my ass not just to make the roster, but to get into games. That type of "I really want this" mentality seems to be absent from Lias.

And yes. I saw the quotes from JD. They seem like stock JD quotes to me. He's ever the diplomat and also understands the importance here of the optics.

Reactions: bl02

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Does that take into account where they pick? Or is it just raw GP over a specific period of draft picks?

It’s all picks during Clark’s tenure. Doesn’t take into account position.

It’s not perfect, nor is it the be all end all. Don’t think that vaults the Rangers from a clear-cut bottom 3 drafting team to the middle of the pack though. Coupled with the fact that they’ve completely butchered any top pick they’ve had in the past 15 years, I would say it’s a pretty fair ranking.

Since Gordie Clark became Director of Player Personnel, one player he’s drafted has made the all star game. That was Chris Kreider, as an injury replacement.

I think it’s completely reasonable to want him gone. Far more reasonable than saying he has done a good job (not saying that’s you, of course).

Last edited:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

It’s not perfect, nor is it the be all end all. Don’t think that vaults the Rangers from a clear-cut bottom 3 drafting team to the middle of the pack though. Coupled with the fact that they’ve completely butchered any top pick they’ve had in the past 15 years, I would say it’s a pretty fair ranking.

Since Gordie Clark became Director of Player Personnel, one player he’s drafted has made the all star game. That was Chris Kreider, as an injury replacement.

I think it’s completely reasonable to want him gone. Far more reasonable than saying he has done a good job (not saying that’s you, of course).

When Gordie Clark retires, Bobrov will take over. I expect that to be in 2-3 years max. Since Bobrov joined the organization, the EU scouting department has had an overhaul and it has looked much better since.

The Konowalchuk signing for the WHL scouting is a good one as well. Gorton has made moves that have at the very least replaced our old crew

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

Don’t think that vaults the Rangers from a clear-cut bottom 3 drafting team to the middle of the pack. Coupled with the fact that they’ve completely butchered any top pick they’ve had in the past 15 years, I would say it’s a pretty fair ranking.

We've had some good and really bad drafts. Probably more bad than good. The past few have me hopeful. Like we did really well with Kreider, but the rest of the draft was terrible. The next year we get Fast, but the rest of the draft was abysmal, even ignoring McIlrath (which you can't). 2011 was good with Miller, lousy everywhere else. 2012 you had Skjei, then nothing really.

Then 2013! Buchnevich, Duclair, Graves in round three. Wizardry! We're on track.

Oh wait, 2014 saw Shesterkin (great pick, obviously) and six failures. 2015 with Gropp was bad, though Saarela could still be a player.

2016 could be okay. 2017 is really dependent on Chytil--even if Barron makes it, if Chytil ends up a 35 point guy and Andersson busts, that's a failed draft.

2018 and 2019, lots of room for optimism. Some really nice looking values in there. We'll see how it turns out.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I think he is worth a mid 2nd rounder especially to a rebuilding team that has 4 2nd round picks.
If I was Ottawa I would call for someone more solid like Georgiev who probably could be had for a second and a 3rd and forget Lias.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
When Gordie Clark retires, Bobrov will take over. I expect that to be in 2-3 years max. Since Bobrov joined the organization, the EU scouting department has had an overhaul and it has looked much better since.

The Konowalchuk signing for the WHL scouting is a good one as well. Gorton has made moves that have at the very least replaced our old crew

I hope you’re right, both about Clark being gone and his replacements being capable!

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Davidson said the decision for Andersson not to join the team in camp next month was mutual.

“I’d say it was both,” Davidson said. “He’s a part of the Rangers organization. We’re going to try to get him playing as best as he can, and we’ll just see where it all goes.”

Per Carp in the Athletic

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

Since Bobrov took over as Director of European Scouting, we've drafted the following European-based players:

Kakko
Henriksson
Aaltonen
Edstrom
Kravtsov
Lundkvist
Lindbom
Ragnarsson
Pajuniemi
Andersson
Chytil
Sjalin
Lakatos
Virta
Reunanen

Kakko was a given, so I feel like he ought to be excluded.

The rest? Lundkvist could turn out to be a grand slam. Kravtsov, jury is still out. Chytil looks promising, but still hasn't actually done much. Reunanen may be a find. Still, lots yet to be determined.

Andersson was a big whiff. Lindbom looks like a huge whiff. Virta and Lakatos are gone, Sjalin is likely gone, Ragnarsson odds are will be gone, etc.

It's tough to compare him to what we had before as we just didn't emphasize European players. Like the five drafts before--2011-2015--the highest we took a European was in the third. We ended up with Shesterkin and Buchnevich. Maybe Saarela makes it. But, eight overall selections in five drafts as opposed to 15 in four drafts with Bobrov.

So, I see Bobrov as a positive in that since he's arrived, we've certainly been more willing to go the European route, but I'm still not sure if he's...good. Like Gorton, it's all mixed.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
The way Lias did not show any remorse and come back apologizing made me feel uneasy and uncomfortable bringing him back. The guy has issues, and his production even in AHL was really underwhelming which also made me uncomfortable.

I hope there are some teams in NHL interested in giving him a chance and trading for him.
This makes me feel there might be more to it than a temper tantrum.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
This makes me feel there might be more to it than a temper tantrum.

I think he just doesn't adequately/professionally handle losing/failure. Throwing away silver medal was a clear sign. It was a form of temper tantrum. He likes to be a big fish in a small pond because it makes him feel like he is more important and a winner. He might thrive in some small market NHL team, but I have a feeling he just wants to play entire career in SHL.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I think he just doesn't adequately/professionally handle losing/failure. Throwing away silver medal was a clear sign. It was a form of temper tantrum. He likes to be a big fish in a small pond because it makes him feel like he is more important and a winner. He might thrive in some small market NHL team, but I have a feeling he just wants to play entire career in SHL.
Had he come back and apologized or even just said, ‘I’ve given it some thought...’ I’d say the Spoiled Brat option was probably right. But his behavior makes me think there’s much more to the issue. I do agree he may simply choose to spend the next few years or even his whole career in Sweden. He seems to be way more comfortable there. Sucks for us but that’s life. I hope he’s happy and successful either way. (Which I think you and 99% of the rest of the folks he would agree).

Reactions: GAGLine

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Had he come back and apologized or even just said, ‘I’ve given it some thought...’ I’d say the Spoiled Brat option was probably right. But his behavior makes me think there’s much more to the issue. I do agree he may simply choose to spend the next few years or even his whole career in Sweden. He seems to be way more comfortable there. Sucks for us but that’s life. I hope he’s happy and successful either way. (Which I think you and 99% of the rest of the folks he would agree).

Yeah, he can still earn good money being a star player in Sweden. Sucks that our scouts either missed it or decided to ignore it.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
I don't think it has anything to do with corona. I still see it as simple as he doesn't think he's gonna get the role/minutes he wants here, has been passed on the depth chart and doesn't see eye to eye with the coach. I don't think he has it out for the organization. If what JD said is legitimate I don't have a problem with the guy staying over there, if there is a path to him being a future Ranger with the role he's looking for it will come in a season or two where we have a better idea of whether Strome is still here and how Chytil has progressed. What's he gonna do here if he plays again next season? Play 10 minutes a night behind Zib, Strome and Chytil... clearly he isn't willing to play that role. It is what it is at this point I wouldn't get too worked up about it

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Dont forget about all the prospects loaded in the Tampa system our scouts picked Howden and Hajek (supposedly the crown jewel of the trade) for McDonagh who was our best trade asset.

McDonagh and that 7th overall pick are two of the three most valuable assets we had since the rebuild started and we dont have much to show for it.

It is a terrible, indefensible look.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Dont forget about all the prospects loaded in the Tampa system our scouts picked Howden and Hajek (supposedly the crown jewel of the trade) for McDonagh who was our best trade asset.

McDonagh and that 7th overall pick are two of the three most valuable assets we had since the rebuild started and we dont have much to show for it.

It is a terrible, indefensible look.

Yeah that's all spin. Those were the best pieces stingy ass Yzerman was willing to part with so they broke down and took it. I'm sure they inquired about better prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad