Player Discussion Lias Andersson: Part III

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Boston is just an obscure example to use. Pastrnak and McAvoy would be the two best players Gordie Clark has drafted in the past ten years, and probably ever (McAvoy doesn’t blow me away but we haven’t drafted a defenseman of his caliber during the Gordie era). In the case of Pastrnak, quality far exceeds quantity. Duclair, Buchnevich and Graves doesn’t return you Pastrnak.

And for all the praise we give Gordie for drafting Buchnevich, Jake Debrusk has been more productive. Another odd example to highlight by the OP. Boston is a wildly successful team built off the back of their drafting and player development.

The draft is a crapshoot and all teams mess up. We just mess up more than most and we’re essentially the only team in the league that hasn’t hit the jackpot.
Boston has been a wildly successful team because in 2006, some interim GM named Gorton drafted Kessell, Lucic and Marchand; traded for Tukka Rask and signed Zdeno Chara as a UFA.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Boston has been a wildly successful team because in 2006, some interim GM named Gorton drafted Kessell, Lucic and Marchand; traded for Tukka Rask and signed Zdeno Chara as a UFA.

The Bruins "reputation" is because AV got lackadaisical with a 3-1 series lead and every other team in Boston won a championship around that time. If Vancouver closes them out, the 2010s Bruins are the early 90s Buffalo Bills.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Boston is just an obscure example to use. Pastrnak and McAvoy would be the two best players Gordie Clark has drafted in the past ten years, and probably ever (McAvoy doesn’t blow me away but we haven’t drafted a defenseman of his caliber during the Gordie era). In the case of Pastrnak, quality far exceeds quantity. Duclair, Buchnevich and Graves doesn’t return you Pastrnak.

And for all the praise we give Gordie for drafting Buchnevich, Jake Debrusk has been more productive. Another odd example to highlight by the OP. Boston is a wildly successful team built off the back of their drafting and player development.

The draft is a crapshoot and all teams mess up. We just mess up more than most and we’re essentially the only team in the league that hasn’t hit the jackpot.

DeBrusk was drafted 14th overall in a draft where our highest pick was 41st
Pastrnak was drafted 25th overall in a draft where our highest pick was 59th

Reactions: haveandare

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
DeBrusk was drafted 14th overall in a draft where our highest pick was 41st
Pastrnak was drafted 25th overall in a draft where our highest pick was 59th

What? Obscure to just revive this and completely misunderstand it.

The OP was using Boston as an example to show that the Rangers aren’t the only team that makes mistakes drafting. I said that was a bad example to use, seeing that Boston has a slew of homegrown players that have brought them success. We were never comparing the Rangers performance in that specific draft.

Where is our David Pastrnak? Where is our Charlie McAvoy? Where are our drafted, homegrown elite players?

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007

Did you guys coordinate to just completely take posts out of context and revive them for no reason?

Boston’s entire first line - maybe the best in the league - was drafted and developed in house. We haven’t drafted a player since Gordie Clark has been running the show that can hold Bergeron, Marchand or Pastrnak’s jock strap. That is the be-all-end-all to any discussion of trying to compare Boston and NYR’s drafting pedigree. It was an awful example from the get-go.

Where have I insulted Jeff Gorton anywhere? This discussion is about Gordie Clark. I’m aware Gorton made some nice moves in Boston. The sky is also blue.

Last edited:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Where is our David Pastrnak? Where is our Charlie McAvoy? Where are our drafted, homegrown elite players?

Not having a 1st rounder for 4 straight years and not even having a 2nd rounder in some of those years, severely impacts your draft results. Where you draft, matters. Colorado can't draft outside the top 10 to save their lives. Yet they have several elite players because they have had high picks almost every year for a decade

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Not having a 1st rounder for 4 straight years and not even having a 2nd rounder in some of those years, severely impacts your draft results. Where you draft, matters. Colorado can't draft outside the top 10 to save their lives. Yet they have several elite players because they have had high picks almost every year for a decade

Gordie Clark has been directing our scouting for 13 years. We simply cannot keep using the excuse of 2013-2016. We have drafted one player that has made the all-star game, and he made it on a technicality. David Pastrnak, at 25, was the highest drafted player on that top line in Boston. David Krejci was a third round pick. We’re so desperate to credit ourselves for late-round picks that we use a 40 point, one-dimensional pouting loser like Pavel Buchnevich as a crowning achievement.

We’re back at square one. Draft position matters, of course. But the Rangers are statistically a bottom-3 team in terms of games played and points by drafted players (cumulative and per-pick).

Let me know when Dylan McIlrath, Lias Andersson or Kravstov become 10th overall pick Mikko Rantanen. Let me know when we draft a forward that scores more than 3rd round defenseman Tyson Barrie. All I’ve got is JT Miller. Not even Derek Stepan, who most would argue is Clark’s savviest pick to date, has achieved this illustrious achievement.

It’s like Gordie Clark is Craster and half of you are related to him in some way. I’m constantly amazed at all of the mental gymnastics that people use to defend him, when literally all the evidence and data points to him doing a terrible job. Imagine jumping blindly to your colleague’s defense when he has time and time again failed to do what he’s supposed to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Gordie Clark has been directing our scouting for 13 years. We simply cannot keep using the excuse of 2013-2016. We have drafted one player that has made the all-star game, and he made it on a technicality. David Pastrnak, at 25, was the highest drafted player on that top line in Boston. David Krejci was a third round pick. We’re so desperate to credit ourselves for late-round picks that we use a 40 point, one-dimensional pouting loser like Pavel Buchnevich as a crowning achievement.

We’re back at square one. Draft position matters, of course. But the Rangers are statistically a bottom-3 team in terms of games played and points by drafted players (cumulative and per-pick).

Let me know when Dylan McIlrath, Lias Andersson or Kravstov become Mikko Rantanen. Let me know when we draft a forward that scores more than Tyson Barrie. All I’ve got is JT Miller.

It’s like Gordie Clark is Craster and half of you are related to him in some way. I’m constantly amazed at all of the mental gymnastics that people use to defend him, when literally all the evidence and data points to him doing a terrible job. Imagine jumping blindly to your colleague’s defense when he has time and time again failed to do what he’s supposed to do.

Maybe Rangers are just not as good at developing prospects as Boston is... Boston relies on their AHL farm team, while Rangers rely on NCAA, SHL and KHL to develop their prospects for them.

Reactions: NYSPORTS

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Maybe Rangers are just not as good at developing prospects as Boston is... Boston relies on their AHL farm team, while Rangers rely on NCAA, SHL and KHL to develop their prospects for them.

Why are we seeking out ridiculous answers to this question, like the above, instead of just realizing that we have sucked ass at drafting hockey players for over a decade?

Edit: Sorry to be blunt. I’m always down for a good discussion and I think Hartford has plenty of question marks (but the hive mind here seems to have fallen in love with the new HC after 20 good games to start the season, which is equally as baffling). But the discussion of our drafting and player development is an exhausting one when there’s so much data pointing right at the answer, whether or not people want to admit it.

Last edited:
Reactions: NYSPORTS

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I don't think so. Why? Are you interested?
He probably saw this on IG and has questions, lol..

Graves - that’s Jacob Moverare who plays for Frölunda. They’re good buds.

Looking at the first photo, it looks like Lias has lost some weight.

Last edited:

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Why are we seeking out ridiculous answers to this question, like the above, instead of just realizing that we have sucked ass at drafting hockey players for over a decade?

Edit: Sorry to be blunt. I’m always down for a good discussion and I think Hartford has plenty of question marks (but the hive mind here seems to have fallen in love with the new HC after 20 good games to start the season, which is equally as baffling). But the discussion of our drafting and player development is an exhausting one when there’s so much data pointing right at the answer, whether or not people want to admit it.

Our drafting sucks because they know that their development at Hartford sucks and go for college and European players because they do not have a good development program in Hartford.

Reactions: CasusBelli

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Our drafting sucks because they know that their development at Hartford sucks and go for college and European players because they do not have a good development program in Hartford.

So, just to clarify, you’re saying we’re intentionally not drafting higher caliber players in leagues like the CHL because they’d have to go through our AHL program?

Please re-read your post and understand how far-fetched and absurd that sounds.

Reactions: Kupo

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
I think you can/should be worried about some of our high picks without thinking our drafting outside of the first round has been any worse than average. The big stars in the late rounds are so hard to find and Shesty has a fair chance at hitting that mark. Guys like Graves/Duclair/Keane/Saarela will probably hang around the league, just not with us.

I feel like we aren't very good at developing "bottom six" players anymore but whether that's Hartford's fault, New York's fault or a handful of players just not being good enough, who knows.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
What? Obscure to just revive this and completely misunderstand it.

The OP was using Boston as an example to show that the Rangers aren’t the only team that makes mistakes drafting. I said that was a bad example to use, seeing that Boston has a slew of homegrown players that have brought them success. We were never comparing the Rangers performance in that specific draft.

McAvoy is overrated fam

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
What?!?! Just when I thought.... Nevermind.. I award you this gif for posting this nonsense..

Billy-Madison-1.gif

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York

Let me know when Dylan McIlrath, Lias Andersson or Kravstov become 10th overall pick Mikko Rantanen. Let me know when we draft a forward that scores more than 3rd round defenseman Tyson Barrie. All I’ve got is JT Miller. Not even Derek Stepan, who most would argue is Clark’s savviest pick to date, has achieved this illustrious achievement.

hey, Anthony Duclair made the all-star game!

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
So, just to clarify, you’re saying we’re intentionally not drafting higher caliber players in leagues like the CHL because they’d have to go through our AHL program?

Please re-read your post and understand how far-fetched and absurd that sounds.

sure as long as you go back and re-read how absurd it sounds to compare drafting success of 2 completely different teams when there are so many other factors involved. I am guessing our scouting department when most things are about equal will give an edge to drafting somebody who will be developed in Europe or in NCAA. That seems to be their comfort zone. They do not have a ton of faith in their AHL development program. Bruins have a lot of faith in their AHL, they got a good program there they bring in their draft picks over there as soon as possible, but it isn't a guaranteed program either, look at 2 of their 3 1st rounders in 2015.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
sure as long as you go back and re-read how absurd it sounds to compare drafting success of 2 completely different teams when there are so many other factors involved. I am guessing our scouting department when most things are about equal will give an edge to drafting somebody who will be developed in Europe or in NCAA. That seems to be their comfort zone. They do not have a ton of faith in their AHL development program. Bruins have a lot of faith in their AHL, they got a good program there they bring in their draft picks over there as soon as possible, but it isn't a guaranteed program either, look at 2 of their 3 1st rounders in 2015.

They draft from Europe and the NCAA because they trust that area of their scouting group. Honestly, if it were true what you said, they would not have signed Miller, Chytil, Lias and Kravtsov in the first 24 months after they drafted them. They literally did the exact opposite of what you are implying here

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
They draft from Europe and the NCAA because they trust that area of their scouting group. Honestly, if it were true what you said, they would not have signed Miller, Chytil, Lias and Kravtsov in the first 24 months after they drafted them. They literally did the exact opposite of what you are implying here

yes, because everybody knows you can never trust a QMJHL scouts, those backstabbers.

Kravtsov stayed a year in Russia then came here and immediately ran back to Russia (sure is a good sign for Hartford development program, then finally returned and struggled to produce.

Chytil was in Czech Republic which is not considered a great developmental league in recent years so they decided to bring him in hear along with Lias. He spent a total of 55 games in AHL.

Lias ran back to Sweden in his 1st season, and in the 3rd season he quit the team and ran back to Sweden.

Yeah great program we have over there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad