Player Discussion Lias Andersson: Part III

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
he had the inside track too though...penciled in as the 2C heading into camp. he wasn't ready...the fact that they feel that 3C or 4C is ok for howden and lias right now but not chytil is another debate but I think Chytil very much had the inside track going in. just higher expectations to go along with it...

Well they apparently think 2C is okay for Howden right now, which is pretty laughable. I still maintain that our forwards should be:

Panarin-Zib-Buch (least until that line slows down, for more than 1 game)
Kreider-Chytil-Kakko
Kravtsov-Andersson-Strome
Lemieux-Howden-Fast
McKegg

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
@Mikos87 was bemoaning Gorton's lack of attention to organizational depth all of last season, and at this point it's starting to become gospel. Very disappointed in our lack of ability to backfill our bottom-6 - this shouldn't be a difficult task, and "rebuilding" isn't an excuse. There is no reason he shouldn't have signed a veteran placeholder or two to prevent things like having Smith and Haley in our bottom 6 from happening. It's easily the biggest gripe I have with Gorton so far. As unimpressive as guys like Vesey and Namestnikov were, they're still better than what we're rolling with now. Fast and Andersson are the only quality players in that current grouping who are capable of filling their role. Lemieux makes it three when fully healthy. That's part of the reason we get caved in possession wise - half our forwards are blackholes who fill no role.

It's on the coaching too.

There are 30 teams in the NHL.

How many dress 7 defensemen. Or play a converted one on wing and D? How many play that player with the last goon in the game?

There are other options, not great upgrades but better than what the coaching staff dressed last night.

What the Rangers need is a legitimate 4th line.

Gorts hasn't had a good one as a GM imo.

The last good 4th line was Boyle-Moore-Dorsett.

You need a group that can play the game.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Played 12:16 tonight, and did well from what I saw. Made an excellent play in deep on the PK to almost get Fast a goal

Reactions: haveandare

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Played 12:16 tonight, and did well from what I saw. Made an excellent play in deep on the PK to almost get Fast a goal
The only way his handling makes sense to me is that maybe the team thinks confidence (or lack thereof) had a big impact on his play last season and this year they’re giving him something he definitely can handle and are incrementally increasing it.

Outside of that I’m over here like :dunno:

Reactions: UnSandvich

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
The only way his handling makes sense to me is that maybe the team thinks confidence (or lack thereof) had a big impact on his play last season and this year they’re giving him something he definitely can handle and are incrementally increasing it.

Outside of that I’m over here like :dunno:
One could argue that Andersson isn’t getting minutes because there are players in front of him that will be on the move at some point by the deadline. I don’t think Andersson is going anywhere... wishful thinking but perhaps both Strome and Howden along with Kreider and Smith are being given every opportunity to show what they have in order to pull the trigger on something Gorton is after.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
One could argue that Andersson isn’t getting minutes because there are players in front of him that will be on the move at some point by the deadline. I don’t think Andersson is going anywhere... wishful thinking but perhaps both Strome and Howden along with Kreider and Smith are being given every opportunity to show what they have in order to pull the trigger on something Gorton is after.

Kreider should be given that opportunity because realistically he is probably the one that is gonna fetch something decent. And he is gonna be given that opportunity.
On the other hand, Guys like Strome and especially Smith are not gonna fetch anything significant. Lets say we give Stome significant ice time over someone like Lias so he can grab his 3o points instead of 15-20 maybe he garners us a third rounder rather than a 4th. I would rather take a 4th or 5th and give his ice time to Lias if Lias is playing well.
We are delusional if we think Strome is gonna breakout season and get us anything decent at the deadline. I just don't see it.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I mean, if we're being honest here the single biggest problem with this team right now is Chris kreider. He's a complete and utter dud this year. From the first game of the preseason till now he's been somewhere between bad and awful. Even the assist he had which was a nice play was about the only good thing he did. He's been so unbelievably passive and floaty out there.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Still think you need to put back Zibanejad with Kreider and then move Kakko with Panarin. Then Lemiuex goes with Strome and Fast and that’s a decent line

badi

Jan 21, 2008
Bad News not even 9 minutes of ice time today
Good news does not really needs to take a shower,,,

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Bad News not even 9 minutes of ice time today
Good news does not really needs to take a shower,,,

In Europe, when players play fewer than 10-11 minutes, they put in some extra time on the treadmill or bike after the game. Not sure they do the same in the NHL

Bill Sergio

Mar 2, 2018
This coaches lack of use of Andersson is mindboggling to me. Andersson has been noticible for all the right reasons on most of his very limited even strength shifts this season and consistanly gets less then 10 minutes of icetime. Also please tell me what the hell Howden has done, NOTHING!!!!! While we are at it please get some help to Kakko, he needs to play with better players ASAP. For a developmental coach he seems like AV 2.0, that is very scary

Reactions: MikaIsGod

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Question is: Would he play similar minutes with the Rangers had we drafted him?

Similar minutes to what? He's playing 11 minutes/game in Buffalo. One minute more than Lias. Similar 5v5 time and then he gets PP mins and lias has PK mins.

He'd probably be getting more minutes with the Rangers if he was the 2C.

Reactions: Irishguy42

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
It's on the coaching too.

There are 30 teams in the NHL.

How many dress 7 defensemen. Or play a converted one on wing and D? How many play that player with the last goon in the game?

There are other options, not great upgrades but better than what the coaching staff dressed last night.

What the Rangers need is a legitimate 4th line.

Gorts hasn't had a good one as a GM imo.

The last good 4th line was Boyle-Moore-Dorsett.

You need a group that can play the game.

What they need is to continue building depth. I think Lemieux-Howden-Fast could be a good 4th line, but they’re up toiling in the top 9 because the team has no depth. And I don’t think it’s a fair critique towards Gorton since he took over at about the time the depth of this organization went into a tailspin. I’m happy the rebuild is going quicker than anticipated, but it’s still going to take time to put 12 capable bodies up front

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
EHbTs4DW4AY6qol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad