Player Discussion Lias Andersson: Part III

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Kreider-Strome-Kakko has been one of the worst lines in the NHL. Howden gets as much ice-time as Strome, can take face-offs, has scored a goal, and taken twice as many shot attempts. Why wouldn't he get a shot?
I am more than fine with Howden getting a few games to see. But no matter what, Strome needs to go to the 4th and allow Andersson to have more time. Andersson has been much more visible than Howden. They deserve the chance.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Pre-season and training camp doesn't count?

it does but again, there was a lot of flip flopping and changing around then too. all of a sudden Quinn is going into panic mode after 3 games ?

bottom line, its 3 games. not enough time. Quinn was preaching patience as recently as a few days ago. JD was singing the same tune. patience. 3 games ? where's the patience.

but now Quinn flip flops again and moves strome to line 3 and promotes brendan smith UP to line 3 ?? really ? the 3rd line is smith strome and fast ? yeesh.

and chad is stapled to line 4 even though hes been praised by Quinn ?? and lemme is on line 4 ? again, wtf ?

brett howden has done nothing to earn a chance at the 2C in fact, chad has done more than brett yet hes on the 4th line.

patience....

Last edited:

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Both Kreider and Strome can be the problem on that line at the same time

agreed. they can be.

but kreider is in a contract year making alot of bank. and hes done zip. he plays prime PP1 mins and 5v5 hes supposed to be a dynamic catalyst player with speed and blah blah blah. hes done nothing. dude has 5 shots in 3 games.

and its ryan stromes fault ?

lets go Quinn. promote kakko to PP1 where he belongs. get 20 with mika and get him rolling. light a fire under his ass.

brett howden is not the answer to the CK riddle.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
agreed. they can be.

but kreider is in a contract year making alot of bank. and hes done zip. he plays prime PP1 mins and 5v5 hes supposed to be a dynamic catalyst player with speed and blah blah blah. hes done nothing. dude has 5 shots in 3 games.

and its ryan stromes fault ?

lets go Quinn. promote kakko to PP1 where he belongs. get 20 with mika and get him rolling. light a fire under his ass.

brett howden is not the answer to the CK riddle.
Well, by separating 2 players who aren’t playing all that great, you get new information on which one is really the anchor. There’s also questions to be answered about how well the young centers can play higher in the line up as opposed to whatever they’re trotting out as bottom 6 wingers, so answer 2 questions with the one move of demoting Strome

Reactions: Brooklyn Ranger

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Can see him at best turning into a Kadri type of player, a 200 ft player ! At worst he turning to a traditional shutdown C 15+25 guy!
Really like those character guys who never takes a shift off, he also looks smart out there!#2cents

Reactions: TheDirtyH

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Well, by separating 2 players who aren’t playing all that great, you get new information on which one is really the anchor. There’s also questions to be answered about how well the young centers can play higher in the line up as opposed to whatever they’re trotting out as bottom 6 wingers, so answer 2 questions with the one move of demoting Strome

fair enough. i mean really were seeing the effects of having 3 guys who probably top out at the 3C

strome already there.
howden not there yet
and chad prob destined to get there.

chytil the only one who might be a legit 2C

given that CK is the proven top 6 player on that line and hes in a contract year and his resume shows production, his poor pay has been the drag on that line.

the other player is an 18 yr old rook and the center is a 26 yr old experienced guy who is probably better suited at the 3.

there is no easy fix but just having 20 return to his baseline would be a solid start and would alleviate some of the knee jerk stuff Quinn is showing already.

again, if CK has 2 goals and kakko 1 and stromer 3 assists and that line is even at 5v5 the chatter about the 2C is less and the spotlight is shone on real problem we have- the lack of a true top LD to play with 8.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Per Cyrgalis, Lias is centering McKegg and Haley on the 4th line, while Smith moves up to the 3rd and Howden the 2nd. These lines are getting absurd.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
After having a better camp and pre-season than Chytil and Howden, there's no reason to send him to Hartford

Not for nothing, but we don't know that he had a better camp than Howden. The most we can say is that he had better pre-season games, but that's only like 10% of the information.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Per Cyrgalis, Lias is centering McKegg and Haley on the 4th line, while Smith moves up to the 3rd and Howden the 2nd. These lines are getting absurd.

@Mikos87 was bemoaning Gorton's lack of attention to organizational depth all of last season, and at this point it's starting to become gospel. Very disappointed in our lack of ability to backfill our bottom-6 - this shouldn't be a difficult task, and "rebuilding" isn't an excuse. There is no reason he shouldn't have signed a veteran placeholder or two to prevent things like having Smith and Haley in our bottom 6 from happening. It's easily the biggest gripe I have with Gorton so far. As unimpressive as guys like Vesey and Namestnikov were, they're still better than what we're rolling with now. Fast and Andersson are the only quality players in that current grouping who are capable of filling their role. Lemieux makes it three when fully healthy. That's part of the reason we get caved in possession wise - half our forwards are blackholes who fill no role.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

I am sure I’ve missed something, been swamped at work the last days, but where is Lemieux?

badi

Jan 21, 2008

Just ridiculous,,,,
Play him 20 minutes in Hartford and give him a real chance after or trade him

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Pre-season and training camp doesn't count?

so Quinn takes Chytil off the 2nd line and he didn't give him a chance? But cause he hasn't put Lias there like you want it means he is ignoring pre-season and training camp?

So does what chytil did in training camp and preseason not matter?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
so Quinn takes Chytil off the 2nd line and he didn't give him a chance? But cause he hasn't put Lias there like you want it means he is ignoring pre-season and training camp?

So does what chytil did in training camp and preseason not matter?

Missing the point, but you put it perfectly. To me, there's no scenario where you demote Chytil based on camp and preseason, but at the same time still have Howden ahead of Lias for the season opener. It makes no sense to me

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Not for nothing, but we don't know that he had a better camp than Howden. The most we can say is that he had better pre-season games, but that's only like 10% of the information.
It's also pretty subjective information to begin with. There hasn't been a post in Howden's thread in two weeks. It's like people don't even consider him one of our prospects lol.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
It's also pretty subjective information to begin with. There hasn't been a post in Howden's thread in two weeks. It's like people don't even consider him one of our prospects lol.

I have a theory as to why management doesn't consider him a prospect either. To me, it seems like there are 4 different groups in pre-season.

Group A: Play 1 or 2 games, make the team regardless of performance. They're locks. Guys like Kreider, Zibanejad, Panarin, Trouba, Staal etc.

Group B: Fringe players and prospects who play 3 or more games to give coaching staff an extensive look at what they have. Kravtsov, Andersson, Chytil, Fox.

Group C: Players who won't make the team but still earn a game or two in pre-season. Reunanen, Jones, Robertson, Keane, Fogarty come to mind.

Group D: Fillers, to make sure they have enough warm bodies in practice. Leedahl, Gropp, Day etc.

Brett Howden played 2 pre-season games, and he made the team. Does he fall in Group A? Was he always going to make the team? It's not impossible. If so, it would also explain why he was ahead of Lias Andersson who, by all accounts, performed better. Beat writers said so, fans share the opinion. It's not just me saying this.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

Maybe not in his thread but he’s probably the most mentioned player on the board lol

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I have a theory as to why management doesn't consider him a prospect either. To me, it seems like there are 4 different groups in pre-season.

Group A: Play 1 or 2 games, make the team regardless of performance. They're locks. Guys like Kreider, Zibanejad, Panarin, Trouba, Staal etc.

Group B: Fringe players and prospects who play 3 or more games to give coaching staff an extensive look at what they have. Kravtsov, Andersson, Chytil, Fox.

Group C: Players who won't make the team but still earn a game or two in pre-season. Reunanen, Jones, Robertson, Keane, Fogarty come to mind.

Group D: Fillers, to make sure they have enough warm bodies in practice. Leedahl, Gropp, Day etc.

Brett Howden played 2 pre-season games, and he made the team. Does he fall in Group A? Was he always going to make the team? It's not impossible. If so, it would also explain why he was ahead of Lias Andersson who, by all accounts, performed better. Beat writers said so, fans share the opinion. It's not just me saying this.

on a team with 1 center...the idea that a young center that spent the entire year in the NHL last year had an inside track to a spot isn't much of a conspiracy theory :naughty:

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

he had the inside track too though...penciled in as the 2C heading into camp. he wasn't ready...the fact that they feel that 3C or 4C is ok for howden and lias right now but not chytil is another debate but I think Chytil very much had the inside track going in. just higher expectations to go along with it...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad