Player Discussion Lias Andersson: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
if lias keeps doing what he's doing he'll find himself on that second line. No one cares what happens to strome here. he's failing at 2c, but better him failing at 2c than lias. We're only 2 games into the season folks.

We're two games in. No one is failing yet.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
It's early but I'd like to see Lias with better teammates. That's my only gripe. How the minutes are divided or what line you wanna call it isn't as important. Mix in a few shifts on Strome's line, idk. Strome isn't good enough to worry about his mandatory mins.

I'm not sure how we're supposed to evaluate him if he ends up with Brendan Smith and Gregg McGregg as his wings. They're gonna get caved in. We'll see what happens though.

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Its very early in the season to get bent out of shape about Lias' minutes. If anything, they could be and you could argue should be giving minutes to Strome and Howden to see what they have in them and perhaps think about moving at some point in the season. They also have to see how Chytil fits in as well. I think we have another season of having a lot of things on the table... trading players and netting more draft picks.
Was anybody else at the round table last Wednesday? I'm sure you feel the same way. The emphasis on patience was brought up a lot and I think fans should be ready for a roller coaster of a season. One thing is certain is that the roster at the end of the season will not be the same as what we have right now. Personally, I'm crossing my fingers for an eventual 2nd line of Chytil-Andersson-Kakko... getting those 3 to step up and click changes everything in the long term.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Atrocious argument you literally did nothing to highlight his play.

I want to see people here actually present an argument based on specific plays instead of just a general "hes second best" line.

Not saying he isn't second best. I'm saying what I'm saying...which is provide an actual argument

Watch his next game if u have to wait. Make a few notes.
The current reality is, Strome has done nothing for that line and Howden played with those players in preseason and it didn't work well at all. Lias is the next option. He looks improved from last year, he's faster, stronger & more assertive. That line needs a center and we currently have one center who hasn't gotten a chance on it.

IMO we don't need a super sophisticated argument beyond that. They're looking for combos that work and he's the guy who hasn't been plugged in there yet. Line combos can change literally from shift to shift, there is zero risk in plugging in the only other center option to see how he works.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
It's early but I'd like to see Lias with better teammates. That's my only gripe. How the minutes are divided or what line you wanna call it isn't as important. Mix in a few shifts on Strome's line, idk. Strome isn't good enough to worry about his mandatory mins.

I'm not sure how we're supposed to evaluate him if he ends up with Brendan Smith and Gregg McGregg as his wings. They're gonna get caved in. We'll see what happens though.

Wasn’t that the point of a rebuild? Not going well in your opinion?

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
The current reality is, Strome has done nothing for that line and Howden played with those players in preseason and it didn't work well at all. Lias is the next option. He looks improved from last year, he's faster, stronger & more assertive. That line needs a center and we currently have one center who hasn't gotten a chance on it.

IMO we don't need a super sophisticated argument beyond that. They're looking for combos that work and he's the guy who hasn't been plugged in there yet. Line combos can change literally from shift to shift, there is zero risk in plugging in the only other center option to see how he works.
Idk why this is difficult. Use HIS play to convince Quinn. What would you say?

A three year old can say hes better than strome, that lias is faster and yet by saying this you do nothing to show how his overall game is better on the ice. It's boring and lazy.

There are some very fast skaters in the world who can't play hockey.

If you are unable to actually talk hockey and all you can do is say "we don't need to discuss hockey. Its simple. Hes faster." than I'm not interested in the nothing you have to say on the subject.

Last edited:

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Idk why this is difficult. Use HIS play to convince Quinn. What would you say?

A three year old can say hes better than strome, that lias is faster and yet do nothing to show how his overall game is better on the ice. It's boring and lazy.

There are some very fast skaters in the world who can't play hockey

You're like the David Quinn of hockey board posting, demanding posting the right way and non-negotiable effort.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
You're like the David Quinn of hockey board posting, demanding posting the right way and non-negotiable effort.

I'm asking for something specific. If you don't know how to answer so etching very specific then why are you shocked if I tell you how your answer doesn't address the question?

Do you people just not know hockey? Are you just talking out of your asses? Bc if you watched then this shouldn't be hard.

If you didn't watch or you don't remember then that's fine, there's nothing wrong with that. But then you're incapable of answering the question. So why waste your time and mine telling me the question doesn't need to be answered. It's annoying. God forbid I'm curious about examples based on plays hes making on the ice.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
What's funny is that we have to prove why Andersson should be the 2C, but we don't have to prove why Strome should be the 2C.

What has Ryan Strome done that tells me he should play in that spot? Nothing. He has done nothing. He got on a hot shooting streak at the end of last season. That's not enough.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
What's funny is that we have to prove why Andersson should be the 2C, but we don't have to prove why Strome should be the 2C.

What has Ryan Strome done that tells me he should play in that spot? Nothing. He has done nothing. He got on a hot shooting streak at the end of last season. That's not enough.

Holy christ you DONT have to prove anything.

Read the goddamn post.

I was curious about what people saw lias actually doing and from these responses I take it the answer is "f*** all" bc all I can get is "well hes not strome"

But I know the answer isn't f*** all bc I watched him and was impressed with a lot. Examples.

Positioning, he used his stick repeatedly to clog lanes. He was hard on the puck to help break up an opponent's chance behind the net.
Still was CURIOUS what others saw
Specific hockey shit on a hockey forum. The horror

Last edited:

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Holy christ you DONT have to prove anything.

Read the goddamn post.

I was curious about what people saw lias actually doing and from these responses I take it the answer is "**** all" bc all I can get is "well hes not strome"

Lias is aggressive and plays hard on the boards. He is quick to the puck and a constant net front presence (when on a line with guys who can get the puck to the net).

I don't think he's ready to be a 2C, but neither is Strome or Howden. Why not give the kid a chance to win puck battles and smack in the garbage for Kreider and Kakko?

And I'm probably in the minority here, but I'd even be okay with seeing him getting some time on the wing with Names gone, or some PP time in front of the net.

I don't know why we are only looking at 8 minutes a night or 2C usage. There are lots of ways to get a promising kid, meaningful minutes.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Y'know what the last page teaches us? That a lot less people actually watch and can talk about actual hockey plays than you'd think. It also teaches us that people are talking out of their ass completely and throwing darts at the board

I'd say it also teaches you that I can be a bit of a massive prick when I'm frustrated but we all already knew that. I'm not even frustrated if you dont know what you're talking about. I'm frustrated that you're clueless and telling me I shouldn't be trying to talk hockey on a hockey forum bc the answer Is "simple".

Maybe someone picked up on some cool thing he does in front of the net to maintain inside position or someone noticed some underrated positive we dont talk about often.

I wish I'd had the patience to say this before but I didn't.

Reactions: effen

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Y'know what the last page teaches us? That a lot less people actually watch and can talk about actual hockey plays than you'd think. It also teaches us that people are talking out of their ass completely and throwing darts at the board

I'd say it also teaches you that I can be a bit of a massive prick when I'm frustrated but we all already knew that. I'm not even frustrated if you dont know what you're talking about. I'm frustrated that you're clueless and telling me I shouldn't be trying to talk hockey on a hockey forum bc the answer Is "simple".

Maybe someone picked up on some cool thing he does in front of the net to maintain inside position or someone noticed some underrated positive we dont talk about often.

If we already knew that then you taught us nothing. I want proof that you're a prick

So you're in front of Quinn. U have to convince him you're a massive prick when frustrated.

What's your argument?.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York

This is my issue as well.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey

I’d say it teaches us people don’t want to write essays for your approval. You can find all the arguments for Lias to be 2C, with specifics about his play, spread out across these boards since the middle of training camp

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009
Lias is aggressive and plays hard on the boards. He is quick to the puck and a constant net front presence (when on a line with guys who can get the puck to the net).

I don't think he's ready to be a 2C, but neither is Strome or Howden. Why not give the kid a chance to win puck battles and smack in the garbage for Kreider and Kakko?

And I'm probably in the minority here, but I'd even be okay with seeing him getting some time on the wing with Names gone, or some PP time in front of the net.

I don't know why we are only looking at 8 minutes a night or 2C usage. There are lots of ways to get a promising kid, meaningful minutes.[/QUOTE

I don't know if he is a 2C but I actually agree with you that he is good around the net and would like to see him get that chance on the 2nd unit, he just lacks size.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Demanding Andersson show extra oomph in moving up in the lineup over what is 'fair' is designed to become part of his overall game going forward. It's a development tool, and not exactly a new one.

It's really not a big deal. This goes for the other kiddos just as much. Before someone chimes in about Howden, for all his games played and bad play, he never sniffed 2nd line contention despite being an alleged teachers pet. He's pegged for what he is.

Last edited:

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
There's ways he can stand out and there's things he could do to impact the game that aren't dependent on who he's playing with. I think that's what they want to see more consistently. But he's still playing with 2 NHL forwards, not dog shit. It's pretty clear the coaches, right or wrong, have a specific plan for him. And Strome, Smit or McKegg have absolutely nothing to do with that plan. I think he's been pretty solid this year and if he keeps it up he'll be moved up in the lineup. He's so young. He'll be ok.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
It's 2 games in, if Lias continues to show good board play, good defensive play, continues to create chances at a rate higher than the other centers not named Mika, despite his linemates, his play will take care of itself. He will be ahead of Howden and Strome eventually. It's going to happen.

Obviously based on Quinn's comments it's not going to happen in the next couple of days, big deal. Just relax and be happy Lias seems to have improved tremendously over the kind of player he was last year. Sooner rather than later he will be moved up the lineup.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

Or people do watch and can talk hockey and simply disagree with you about how and why players should be moved around at this early point in the season.

I think the person who generally appears to be the second most capable center on the roster as of today should be given a try at 2C based on his general body of work, the fact that he hasn’t had a shot at that position yet, and because there is no risk in trying it this early in the year.

That doesn’t mean I don’t watch or can’t talk hockey, it means I’m not mentally cataloging and retaining the fine details of the play of guys who don’t get 10 minutes a night and I can’t go to the DVR in the middle of the day to give you the detailed report you had in mind. Instead, I’m sharing a more general and simple reason that I think has merit and logic to it. You have 3 options, 2 don’t work and you haven’t tried 1. It can be, but doesn’t need to be, more complicated than that. You can surely disagree but that doesn’t justify this petty stone throwing.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008

One hot shooting streak is still more than what Lias has ever done at the NHL level.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
There's ways he can stand out and there's things he could do to impact the game that aren't dependent on who he's playing with. I think that's what they want to see more consistently. But he's still playing with 2 NHL forwards, not dog ****. It's pretty clear the coaches, right or wrong, have a specific plan for him. And Strome, Smit or McKegg have absolutely nothing to do with that plan. I think he's been pretty solid this year and if he keeps it up he'll be moved up in the lineup. He's so young. He'll be ok.

Not an attempt at poking holes in your argument, but I just found it funny that you said "... he's still playing with 2 NHL forwards,...", when he's literally playing with an NHL forward and an NHL defenseman :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad