Player Discussion Lias Andersson: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Seems to me they’re softly admitting Lias isn’t a top 6 player, and that him getting 3/4th line minutes is fine, cause that’s all he is

Howden will get a chance to center that second line soon I’m sure.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Seems to me they’re softly admitting Lias isn’t a top 6 player, and that him getting 3/4th line minutes is fine, cause that’s all he is

Howden will get a chance to center that second line soon I’m sure.
It really feels to me like Strome is going to be the 2C until they decide to call up Chytil

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
It's fine. Lias isn't ready for 2nd line center duties. There's no need to rush him.

I'd agree that he's not, but I would prefer he get meaningful minutes, even if it has to be at wing.

It is not a fine line between getting a shot at 2C and getting buried in the lineup for the foreseeable future. They are different ends of the spectrum.

If Quinn hasn't already seen a kid that deserves to get 10+ minutes a night of even strength time, then I'm not sure Lias is going to be able to step up enough to convince him.

Ultimately, I see Lias as a high end 3C if he develops well, but the kid has come in and earned more of an opportunity. With everything else Quinn has said and done, this decision just sticks out as being odd.

Last edited:

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Again, there’s no evidence of negative bias, unless people are seeking it. Neither Andersson nor Howden are ready for 2C and patience is needed to protect prospects from being put in roles they are not ready for. There’s no such concern with Strome and this is why he’s 2C “by default”. However, the ice time between the former two will be allocated based on performance. It’s been only two (!!!) games. 1/41 of a season. 3% rounded. Let’s not project onto the whole season, and wait for a more reasonable sample to do it.

Reactions: Edge and Leetch3

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
It's fine. Lias isn't ready for 2nd line center duties. There's no need to rush him.

How do we know he is not ready without trying it? We know Strome can't do it either. I don't think he will be irreparably harmed if he plays on the 2nd line for a week, performs poorly, and then gets put back into a bottom line role. They may think he's not ready based on practice and such but if they don't actually try it they'll never know for sure.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
How do we know he is not ready without trying it? We know Strome can't do it either. I don't think he will be irreparably harmed if he plays on the 2nd line for a week, performs poorly, and then gets put back into a bottom line role. They may think he's not ready based on practice and such but if they don't actually try it they'll never know for sure.
Yeah, that's my whole thing. It's not like these kids have any legitimate competition.

They should, but different can of worms.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
everyone talks about quinn's double standards with players...but funny how constantly the same decisions are judged as good coaching or bad coaching based on whether or not the move results in the guy people like better getting more ice time...is that not a double standard?

first it was pionk is playing over deangelo cause quinn doesn't value talent and only cares about blind hard work...then fast forward and he inflated pionk's value to the point that he got us Trouba, meanwhile deangelo became a better player because of the tough love and is now a top 4 guy...

then the outrage was vesey is playing over buchnevich cause quinn only trusts college players from boston. and talent doesn't matter...fast forward and vesey is gone and buch had a great 2nd half and is now on the top line...

now the outrage is that he is playing howden and strome over lias cause quinn hates puppies or whatever...

quinn was right the first 2 times so maybe people should take a deep breath and show a little patience to see how things pan out...

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
everyone talks about quinn's double standards with players...but funny how constantly the same decisions are judged as good coaching or bad coaching based on whether or not the move results in the guy people like better getting more ice time...is that not a double standard?

first it was pionk is playing over deangelo cause quinn doesn't value talent and only cares about blind hard work...then fast forward and he inflated pionk's value to the point that he got us Trouba, meanwhile deangelo became a better player because of the tough love and is now a top 4 guy...

then the outrage was vesey is playing over buchnevich cause quinn only trusts college players from boston. and talent doesn't matter...fast forward and vesey is gone and buch had a great 2nd half and is now on the top line...

now the outrage is that he is playing howden and strome over lias cause quinn hates puppies or whatever...

quinn was right the first 2 times so maybe people should take a deep breath and show a little patience to see how things pan out...
Quinn sheltered Pionk heavily the second half of last year.

Reactions: DanielBrassard

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

I'm sure he'll get his chance when they feel he's ready for it. It's a long season and we've only just begun.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
I complained like crazy last year about the way Quinn handled Buch and ADA, but it seems to have actually worked. Could it have been done quicker - I guess that's a possibility - but we can't assume that. Quinn seems to know what he's doing and thus far, which buttons to push.

My first instinct is to not love how he is utilizing Lias 2 games in - but I'll defer to him and trust his methods until he gives me a reason not to.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
fil has the talent but no clue how to use it. hes big and fast but so is chris kreider.

chad has the smarts and the motor but the talent isn't there. the wheels and the dynamic 2nd gear is what's missing.

howden is in between. smart and big but the hands are lacking and the vision is so-so.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

Puppy hate is a scourge that needs to be eradicated.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It really feels to me like Strome is going to be the 2C until they decide to call up Chytil
Am a bit disappointed at the comments. Can't lie. I think that Andersson's camp and early play should have earned him more minutes. I would love to see what he can do with Kakko and Kreider and already love what I have seen from him as Lemieux's pivot.

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
I don't get the "Buchnevich and Deangelo are better players because of Quinn" narrative.

The core "issues" still remain: Buchnevich is still engaged about as much as Buchnevich wants to be engaged, which means sometimes he is and sometimes he isn't (and like Kreider, this will always be an issue) , and Deangelo was pretty much the same player in April that he was in October (and almost certainly still a dick).

As far as I can tell the biggest service Quinn has done for them is to stop giving their ice time to inferior players.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
He's been our second best center so far. Simple.
Atrocious argument you literally did nothing to highlight his play.

I want to see people here actually present an argument based on specific plays instead of just a general "hes second best" line.

Not saying he isn't second best. I'm saying what I'm saying...which is provide an actual argument

Watch his next game if u have to wait. Make a few notes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad