Player Discussion Lias Andersson: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Sorry, but Fast and Lias aren't the same at all except they are Swedish.
Oh wow, you guys really took me literally. Didnt need anyone to tell me that Lias is 20 and Fast was 23. My comparison wasn't about age. Jespers high point was a whopping 13 goals. Of course Lias has his whole career to surpass anything that Fast has put up on the scoreboard. Does Lias have more talent? Most probably. I just dont see what you guys are raving about. I forgot.....comparisons had better be spot on here, or you will be taken to task. I DON'T wish that Lias is another Fast, I simply stated that right NOW, he is a replica. That is MY opinion.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I just dont think he is similar to Fast at all. They play different games. I think over time Lias will settle in and his overall game and attributes will shine through. A tough sob to play against in the middle of the ice who will have no fear going to the net or standing in front of it to bang home goals. Its hard to judge him on this year because mentally he just hasnt seemed there at times. The demotion got to him. He is still a kid. Getting that goal last game was monumental for him to finish off this season and prepare for a rigorous offseason of training.

That same training needs to be completed by Chytil, Howden, ans Lemieux. Obviously I would love to see a guy like Lindgren force his way onto the team next season because he worked his ass off to do so

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I DON'T wish that Lias is another Fast, I simply stated that right NOW, he is a replica. That is MY opinion.

By this logic:
Vitali Kravtsov is another Valeri Nichushkin
K'Andre Miller is another Patrick Wiercioch
Nils Lundkvist is another Tim Erixon
Igor Shestyorkin is another Matt Zaba

Right now...

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Jesper fasth is criminally underappreciated by our fan base.

I'd still trade him if the asset coming back is a good one..but fasth is a very good nhler.

The Brayden schenn comparison is intriguing and one I never thought of but man...it sure seems like a good one (if everything works out)

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Jesper fasth is criminally underappreciated by our fan base.

I'd still trade him if the asset coming back is a good one..but fasth is a very good nhler.

The Brayden schenn comparison is intriguing and one I never thought of but man...it sure seems like a good one (if everything works out)

Schenn's development after being drafted:

Y1: 0P 1GP
Y2: 2P 8GP
Y3: 18P 54GP
Y4: 26P 47GP
Y5: 41P 82GP
Y6: 47P 82GP
Y7: 59P 80GP

Lias' development so far:

Y1: 2P 7GP
Y2: 6P 40GP

lilphildub

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2009
By this logic:
Vitali Kravtsov is another Valeri Nichushkin
K'Andre Miller is another Patrick Wiercioch
Nils Lundkvist is another Tim Erixon
Igor Shestyorkin is another Matt Zaba

Right now...

Not sure what your point is. We're not talking about future. Right now Fast and Andersson remind me of each other also. nothing wrong with that. Right now I'd take the player Jesper Fast over Lias Andersson. In the long run I'd rather have Andersson than Fast. Andersson has potential to surpass him & am confident he will. Why can't we talk about Lias in the present unless we're comparing him to some top 6 center in the future?

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Not sure what your point is. We're not talking about future. Right now Fast and Andersson remind me of each other also. nothing wrong with that. Right now I'd take the player Jesper Fast over Lias Andersson. In the long run I'd rather have Andersson than Fast. Andersson has potential to surpass him & am confident he will. Why can't we talk about Lias in the present unless we're comparing him to some top 6 center in the future?
iu

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Schenn's development after being drafted:

Y1: 0P 1GP - 18
Y2: 2P 8GP - 19
Y3: 18P 54GP - 20
Y4: 26P 47GP - 21
Y5: 41P 82GP - 22
Y6: 47P 82GP - 23
Y7: 59P 80GP - 24

Lias' development so far:

Y1: 2P 7GP -19
Y2: 6P 40GP - 20
Lets hope, with Quinn/good coaching, he could reach the peak faster than Schenn.. 40 pt player in 1-2 years. 50 pt player in 2-4 years.

Reactions: Inferno

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I cringed so hard when he said that because I knew it was going to be permanently embedded into this board's collective head.

Same. I never even thought it was THAT bad.

Obviously it takes some mental gymnastics to consider Lias a Jesper Fast at centre, with a possible top6 offensive skillset. But the pick clearly caught the commentators off guard, and Pierre was just trying to quickly relate it to our roster at the time.

With all the wacky and weird shit that Pierre has said and done, that comment should of been buried a week after the draft.

Last edited:

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Same. I never even thought it was THAT bad.

Obviously it takes some mental gymnastics to consider Lias a Jesper Fast at centre, with a possible top6 offensive skillset. But the pick clearly caught the commentators off guard, and Pierre was just trying to quickly relate it to our roster at the time.

Of the wacky and weird **** that Pierre has said and done, that comment should of been buried a week after the draft.
Not going to lie, i totally freaked out when he said that because I didn't know much about Lias yet (until i read about him afterwards and knew he was nothing like him).

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I just hope lias can come to camp and start next season being more assertive and trying to make plays. Just feels like he's been content (of sorts) to muck it up in front of the net and try to win pucks but not a lot of work with the puck on his stick. Maybe that will never come, I dunno, but for him to grow as a player in the NHL I think he needs to be able to start doing that.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
I just hope lias can come to camp and start next season being more assertive and trying to make plays. Just feels like he's been content (of sorts) to muck it up in front of the net and try to win pucks but not a lot of work with the puck on his stick. Maybe that will never come, I dunno, but for him to grow as a player in the NHL I think he needs to be able to start doing that.

was a big time fan. still am but i don't see the high end skill.

his wheels are average. hes good with the puck but the foot speed is lacking and the dynamic play is also lacking.

he seems more plumber than surgeon.

expectations are funny. hes young and still finding his way, but he hasn't impressed me that much and im beginning to think he will fill an important role on this team but the 3C to me seems where hell end up.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
was a big time fan. still am but i don't see the high end skill.

his wheels are average. hes good with the puck but the foot speed is lacking and the dynamic play is also lacking.

he seems more plumber than surgeon.

expectations are funny. hes young and still finding his way, but he hasn't impressed me that much and im beginning to think he will fill an important role on this team but the 3C to me seems where hell end up.

I basically just want to see him using the skills he does have better. I want to see him control the puck a bit more..he has the hands for it. He's no Kravtsov or all that but he has the ability to make some moves, make at least one guy miss, he can setup his linemates, and he has a heavy shot. Find a way to use those skills rather than spend time mucking it up with the other team or "plumbing" as you say.

We'll see what it turns out to be, every time I watch him I'm not really impressed but I feel like I"m watching a guy who just hasn't found his way yet at this level, not someone who's currently playing at the best level he can

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I basically just want to see him using the skills he does have better. I want to see him control the puck a bit more..he has the hands for it. He's no Kravtsov or all that but he has the ability to make some moves, make at least one guy miss, he can setup his linemates, and he has a heavy shot. Find a way to use those skills rather than spend time mucking it up with the other team or "plumbing" as you say.

We'll see what it turns out to be, every time I watch him I'm not really impressed but I feel like I"m watching a guy who just hasn't found his way yet at this level, not someone who's currently playing at the best level he can

This. His game is based on finding the soft areas and pouncing on opportunities. It feels like he hasn't quite figured out where to go or he can't quite get there yet. His hockey IQ is there, it's been proven at pretty much every other level

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
He looked really good I thought for the last 2 weeks of the season or so. Looked like he was playing with more pace, first step was noticeably better and he was actually carrying the puck and looking to make plays instead of just dumping and changing every time.

I think confidence and him being comfortable were a big part of that but also remember Joe mentioning on a broadcast that Lias had lost some weight to get faster.

I'm hoping he has a good summer training and comes into camp looking even quicker.

I think he made good progress overall this season from how he looked in September to how he looked Saturday night is really drastic. I know people crap on him, but when you take a step back he really did make good progress. Now hopefully a good summer of training he can come in and take that next step to actually producing.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
If Lias doesn't improve another step I think he'll be better off on the wing. He needs to get his pace up a bit if he's going to be an effective point producer as a center. The wing seems to work more towards certain of his strengths. I think he has more of a shoot first mentality than a lot of his teammates and he's got a gritty game---he's just got to learn how to use that gritty game more to his benefit. The last couple weeks the Rangers were happy with what he was doing--or at least Quinn said so and I think he was better at the end. Sometimes players (particularly younger ones) try to do too much and I think that's an issue for him too. He gets down on himself because the goals and points aren't coming but those are things that 99% of younger players have to work through.

In any case I can see him shuffling back and forth between New York and Hartford next year. It might happen to Chytil though too. Filip's not going to get by with a 20-25 point season and he's going to need to use his size better and clean up on some of his defensive issues. Howden I think is here to stay though his ceiling isn't as high as Chytil's is. He's just been more reliable all over the ice.

Speaking of Fast--he saw a role he could fit into on a much better Rangers team and he took it. He's a smart heady player but he's never going to be a big goal scorer or point producer. He doesn't get enough shots to the net.

I'm very interested next year in Hajek and Lindgren. Hajek did not have a good season in Hartford but he looked really good for us. I like the way Lindgren plays. He's got some real mean in him.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'm very interested next year in Hajek and Lindgren. Hajek did not have a good season in Hartford but he looked really good for us. I like the way Lindgren plays. He's got some real mean in him.
Think that both of them played really well. Problem is getting them both in the line up at the same time.

Reactions: belford222

InTheShift

Jul 24, 2002
One of the overlooked benefits of winning the second overall pick is how much pressure it is going to take off of Lias being “the guy” just because he was drafted 7th overall.

Kakko and Kravtsov are going to be looked at as the game changers while Lias can continue to develop into a heck of a solid player.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
One of the overlooked benefits of winning the second overall pick is how much pressure it is going to take off of Lias being “the guy” just because he was drafted 7th overall.

Kakko and Kravtsov are going to be looked at as the game changers while Lias can continue to develop into a heck of a solid player.

It's going to be potentially even more than that. Shestyorkin is coming too. Defense will always be something we're continually focusing on. Could have Rykov/Hajek around. We're about to have a bunch of shiny new toys and Lias will become a player that has lost that luster to him. Chytil will be the same thing. Let him slide into a 3rd line role and play his game. Continue to adjust and go from there.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Chytil should be the 2C unless they draft one in June, and Howden the 3

Lias should be on the wing, with Zibanejad

His place on the team long term will be wing, I’ve believed so for a while now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad