Player Discussion Lias Andersson: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Kreider is one of the best puck tippers in the nhl. Lias andersson has yet to score a power play point (obviously lack of minutes is a big part of this)

I’d be shocked if lias is the net front guy.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Kreider is one of the best puck tippers in the nhl. Lias andersson has yet to score a power play point (obviously lack of minutes is a big part of this)

Kinda difficult to produce on the powerplay when you're given 2:19 there all season. For f***'s sake, Marc Staal, Brendan Smith, and Jesper Fast all played more on the PP than Andersson this season

Reactions: Midikem

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey

Kreider was terrible at it for a while when he started in the NHL. At least Lias has played there and did really well at other levels (including the SHL)

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
After this draft lias will be lucky to even play on the fourth line for this franchise long term. He’s the bust we know we were going to eventually get with all these top picks. Of course it would have been nice if our first top 7 pick of the rebuild wasn’t our first bust but things happen (to us always)

But with kakko Kravtsov Howden chytil Mika Buchnevich Lemieux Strome and probably one of Kreider or Panarin here not to mention if we get another high end kid with that Winnipeg pick he’s just going to continue to get pushed down the depth chart. Hate to break the news he’s not sniffing the 2nd line center role.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Kinda difficult to produce on the powerplay when you're given 2:19 there all season. For ****'s sake, Marc Staal, Brendan Smith, and Jesper Fast all played more on the PP than Andersson this season
I'll say it again...what has lias' done to earn those minutes? People jeep talking about stuff he's done in other leagues and that's just not at all relevant...what has he done here to deserve those minutes?
Nothing. Yet.

Kreider is a borderline elite net front guy in the power play..

One does not simply replace kreider with lias' Andersson

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Borderline elite? His stats on top goals and the stats that don’t show up for his screens that lead to Mika goals id say make him very much an elite net front pp guy. I can’t think of many better.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
too early to call LA a bust.

not too early to lower expectations and forget where he was drafted.

hes a bulldog competitor but his skating will continue to hold him back.

OrlandK

Oct 18, 2017
Westchester NY
Lias has a mediocre skill set; he is an average skater with average quickness. He is going to make it in this league as a grinder, if at all. Time to forget his #7 pick status and accept that he is not going to move the needle. Hopefully he can have a decent NHL career; almost certainly as a bottom 6 forward. At this point Howden looks to have a bit more potential and he still projects as a 3C.

Almost every borderline NHL player was a superstar at lower levels. There is literally nothing about what Lias has shown on the Rangers or Hartford that indicates he can be elite at the NHL level. The only reason some continue to tout him is that he was picked # 7, and the hype that went along with that; and plenty of #7 picks don't make it. And the 2017 draft had a big fall off after the first 6 picks. Sadly I recall the Rangers were hoping that Pettersson or Makar were going to fall to 7, but they went 4 & 5.

The good news is we now (especially after the upcoming draft) have a good group of high end forward prospects. Andersson is not one of them though.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
too early to call LA a bust.

not too early to lower expectations and forget where he was drafted.

hes a bulldog competitor but his skating will continue to hold him back.
His skating isn't nearly as much of a concern of mine as is his strength on the puck. He's far far far too easily knocked off the puck. You don't have to be a rocket on skates in the NHL...but you can't be slow and weak on the puck. You just can't.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I'll say it again...what has lias' done to earn those minutes? People jeep talking about stuff he's done in other leagues and that's just not at all relevant...what has he done here to deserve those minutes?
Nothing. Yet.

Kreider is a borderline elite net front guy in the power play..

One does not simply replace kreider with lias' Andersson

Why does he need to earn PP minutes? It's completely different than 5v5. There are plenty of very poor 5v5 players that a great at 5v4 (Wayne Simmonds for one) and there are plenty of bad 5v4 players that are great 5v5 (Rick Nash for one). I think his 5v5 play should have absolutely no bearing on whether or not he is used on the PP. As long as he seems to work well there in practice and can play a role they want there (net front guy or whatever) it's worth seeing how he can do.

Emptyvoid

Apr 11, 2009
I looked up how many games Lias has played. 49 NHL games.

You're ready to call him a bust after 49 NHL games!?

Whatever man.

Looking forward to see Lias's continued development. Player development is a very non linear process.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017

Whatever man.

Looking forward to see Lias's continued development. Player development is a very non linear process.

He was implying Lias was a bust from the moment he got drafted. While it's possible, I wouldn't take that poster's opinion on the matter, even with a massive grain of salt.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Why does he need to earn PP minutes? It's completely different than 5v5. There are plenty of very poor 5v5 players that a great at 5v4 (Wayne Simmonds for one) and there are plenty of bad 5v4 players that are great 5v5 (Rick Nash for one). I think his 5v5 play should have absolutely no bearing on whether or not he is used on the PP. As long as he seems to work well there in practice and can play a role they want there (net front guy or whatever) it's worth seeing how he can do.
By this logic Tanner glass was a terrible player at 5 on 5...but why not just see how he'd do on the power play?

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA

Whatever man.

Yeah I'm not calling him a bust yet.For sure there's a ton of time left for him to improve. My issues are strictly based on what I'm seeing of him and what people think he deserves. I just haven't seen anything to lead me to believe he deserves more playing time than other players. Granted I've basically never seem him outside the NHL and ahl. But from what I've seen I'm seeing a 3rd line center maybe a 4th line center..

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I did happen to mention seeing how he does there in practice and seeing if he can fill a role they want. Not just blindly throwing him out there.
But you're making this statement as if he's for sure not being given the chances in practice. How would we know that either way?

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
But you're making this statement as if he's for sure not being given the chances in practice. How would we know that either way?

The beat writers very often report on the teams PP practice units and the like. I do not recall ever seeing any of them mentioning having him practice there.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
The beat writers very often report on the teams PP practice units and the like. I do not recall ever seeing any of them mentioning having him practice there.
Fair enough. I honestly haven't paid attention. And again just from my standpoint lias is just way too easy to knock off the puck...that's literally the worst thing you can say about a net front guy.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
LA has been less than i expected. and i was a big LA fan on draft day. i liked that pick once EP was taken.

LA hasn't shown me enough yet. he lacks a dynamic component to his game that i saw before he was drafted.

he needs to play with more pace and create more. he seems more plumber than surgeon at this point.

im a little concerned

Emptyvoid

Apr 11, 2009
Yeah I'm not calling him a bust yet.For sure there's a ton of time left for him to improve. My issues are strictly based on what I'm seeing of him and what people think he deserves. I just haven't seen anything to lead me to believe he deserves more playing time than other players. Granted I've basically never seem him outside the NHL and ahl. But from what I've seen I'm seeing a 3rd line center maybe a 4th line center..

I mean I guess that's fair.

But a counter point. Responsible 2 way centers that put up a lot of points. I'd wager most of them, early on their career, looked exactly like 3rd/4th line centers.

I just feel judging a young prospect strictly on what you see at the current time ignores their ability to grow. Kreider looked like Sjostrom. Callahan looked like an elite 4th line grinder. Just sayin.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
LA has been less than i expected. and i was a big LA fan on draft day. i liked that pick once EP was taken.

LA hasn't shown me enough yet. he lacks a dynamic component to his game that i saw before he was drafted.

he needs to play with more pace and create more. he seems more plumber than surgeon at this point.

im a little concerned
I thought he was really coming around the last two weeks of the season. Playing with way more confidence and notably playing with pace and actually making plays. Looked faster. I thought he looked very good overall the last couple weeks.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
The game has not slowed down for him yet. You see him being slow because he's processing too much and hesitating. ( His skating technique could still be improved. Footspeed is not an issue )

He has the hands and mentality to be a great net-front presence.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Instead of focusing on who deserves PP time, why don't we focus on who currently is getting PP time and not doing anything with it? That's a much better assessment to determine who you put out there.

Reactions: kovazub94

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Lias did very little to impress me last season. So much of his game is predicated on having the physical strength to go along with his compete level though; he just feels like a guy who's going to continue to improve longer than the average prospect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad