Player Discussion Lias Andersson: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
He needs to be put on the PP, he's consistently been excellent on the PP through his young career, get him on the PP, he'll get points which will lead to his confidence rise which will lead to him playing better at ES.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
He needs to be put on the PP, he's consistently been excellent on the PP through his young career, get him on the PP, he'll get points which will lead to his confidence rise which will lead to him playing better at ES.
I get the thinking here..but by and large the guys on the power play currently have all been power play producers at various times at both lower levels and at higher levels.
All of them are vastly outproducing lias at even strength and have earned their ice time. I dont think it's the rangers job to hand things to lias' that he hasn't deserved yet. I think it's lias' job to force the rangers to make that choice.

On any given power play you'd like 2 right handed shots.

So that's Mika, Ada, pionk, strome, and shattenkirk. Across the board these 5 guys have done a ton more to deserve power play time. .lets just say pionk is the odd man out though out of these 5 and the 4 of them will all play on the power play. That leaves 6 lh spots available

I think it's a given that kreider, buch, chytil and lemieux all have spots in those 6 for various reasons.
That leaves 2 spots up for grabs.

Right now he's fighting with namestnikov, vesey, and howden for those last 2 spots. Vesey is a 15 to 20 goal scorers, namestnikov has played really well except he can't seem to finish worth a damn, and howden is just like lias'. .. probably undeserving of his time, but on the flip side he's actually put up some points this year.

So I guess you have to ask yourself...has lias' done enough to take pp ice time away from 2 of namestnikov, howden or vesey. Basically he just has to beat out 2 of those guys..bone of which ata playing exactly gangbusters to get some ppl tine.

And honestly he hasn't Done that yet. It really only takes a marginal increase in his play to be better than those 3...if he can do that, he'll get on the power play.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
I get the thinking here..but by and large the guys on the power play currently have all been power play producers at various times at both lower levels and at higher levels.
All of them are vastly outproducing lias at even strength and have earned their ice time. I dont think it's the rangers job to hand things to lias' that he hasn't deserved yet. I think it's lias' job to force the rangers to make that choice.

On any given power play you'd like 2 right handed shots.

So that's Mika, Ada, pionk, strome, and shattenkirk. Across the board these 5 guys have done a ton more to deserve power play time. .lets just say pionk is the odd man out though out of these 5 and the 4 of them will all play on the power play. That leaves 6 lh spots available

I think it's a given that kreider, buch, chytil and lemieux all have spots in those 6 for various reasons.
That leaves 2 spots up for grabs.

Right now he's fighting with namestnikov, vesey, and howden for those last 2 spots. Vesey is a 15 to 20 goal scorers, namestnikov has played really well except he can't seem to finish worth a damn, and howden is just like lias'. .. probably undeserving of his time, but on the flip side he's actually put up some points this year.

So I guess you have to ask yourself...has lias' done enough to take pp ice time away from 2 of namestnikov, howden or vesey. Basically he just has to beat out 2 of those guys..bone of which ata playing exactly gangbusters to get some ppl tine.

And honestly he hasn't Done that yet. It really only takes a marginal increase in his play to be better than those 3...if he can do that, he'll get on the power play.

I don't really disagree, you make a fair point that in all likelihood represents the situation as the coach/management sees it.

There is a bit of a problem in the logic of deserving though when you consider that the three players you mention have 4, 3, and 2 PP points all season respectively, including 1 goal for Vesey and Names and 0 for Howden. Through 60-80 games, consistently getting PP1 or PP2 ice time, those are pathetic results and hardly profile a player who 'deserves' the spot.

And if Quinn is as consistent as he and all the hockey world claim (which seems to be the case, frankly), then each and every player, not just Lias, would be accountable to earning the ice time they recieve, powerplay or otherwise. Quinn has not hesitated to move a player who's done very little to deserve it up the lineup — or even keep them in the lineup at all (see Brickley, McCleod) — for the sake of demoting or benching a better player who hasn't deserved to play.

So if failing to score at even strength is keeping Lias from PP time, why is failing to score on the PP (or at all in many parts of the season for those three players you mention, all holding HUGE streaks without goals and points at any strength) not grounds for taking them off the PP?

My fear is that the Rangers just don't think Lias is a PP player for them, now or in the future, and are grooming him for PK and evens exclusively. It might have to do with Lias's endurance and concerns that with ev and PK time, PP time would push him over his limit rn. IDK why he doesn't play the PP, but the 'deserving' or 'earning' it explanation seems to fall short when considering who he's competing with and their performance (or near-absolute non-performance) when awarded the opportunity.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I don't really disagree, you make a fair point that in all likelihood represents the situation as the coach/management sees it.

There is a bit of a problem in the logic of deserving though when you consider that the three players you mention have 4, 3, and 2 PP points all season respectively, including 1 goal for Vesey and Names and 0 for Howden. Through 60-80 games, consistently getting PP1 or PP2 ice time, those are pathetic results and hardly profile a player who 'deserves' the spot.

And if Quinn is as consistent as he and all the hockey world claim (which seems to be the case, frankly), then each and every player, not just Lias, would be accountable to earning the ice time they recieve, powerplay or otherwise. Quinn has not hesitated to move a player who's done very little to deserve it up the lineup — or even keep them in the lineup at all (see Brickley, McCleod) — for the sake of demoting or benching a better player who hasn't deserved to play.

So if failing to score at even strength is keeping Lias from PP time, why is failing to score on the PP (or at all in many parts of the season for those three players you mention, all holding HUGE streaks without goals and points at any strength) not grounds for taking them off the PP?

My fear is that the Rangers just don't think Lias is a PP player for them, now or in the future, and are grooming him for PK and evens exclusively. It might have to do with Lias's endurance and concerns that with ev and PK time, PP time would push him over his limit rn. IDK why he doesn't play the PP, but the 'deserving' or 'earning' it explanation seems to fall short when considering who he's competing with and their performance (or near-absolute non-performance) when awarded the opportunity.
Definitely a fair take.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Lias' has had an excellent game so far.
I think he has looked progressively better and better as the season has gone along since his second call up.

He looks more like he's adjusting to the pace and no longer looks like he's way behind anymore, night and day from beginning of the season.

I really don't get the negativity surrounding him. I think he's made good progress for a 20 year old in basically their first NA pro season.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Lias' has had an excellent game so far.

I've been really rooting for him to get a goal in the final games. Just get a little bit of a positive feeling going into the off-season.

And maybe Quinn could have used him more and so forth, but it has also felt like that Quinn has waited for Lias to like get a goal or whatever and award him for that. DQ has done that regularly with the kids. The pts haven't come though...

Reactions: romba

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I'm really happy for Lias. Anytime you have a prospect that can get some NHL games in during his D+1 year and then have him double his goals output in his D+2 year is a good sign. I hope he can build on this and finish off the season strong.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I'm really happy for Lias. Anytime you have a prospect that can get some NHL games in during his D+1 year and then have him double his goals output in his D+2 year is a good sign. I hope he can build on this and finish off the season strong.

He has more goals in his D+2 than Scheifele, Brassard, Couture, Barzal and Giroux combined FYI

Reactions: UnSandvich

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
Lias will be fine. We do need to taper our expectations about his upside though... without him being elite at anything, it's doubtful he'll exceed ~50 points in this league. I see his career trajectory similar to Callahan's

Considering how weak the 2017 draft was, the was a decent pick at the spot we took him. Are there players taken after him that will turn out better than him? Of course, but it's probably players other teams passed on as well. After the top 5 it was a massive crapshoot

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Nevermind that he scored that beautiful breakaway goal on that great pass from Names.......just seemed to me that he had an all around solid game. Admittedly, I have been down on him, just not really expecting "too much", but for the 1st time I kind of feel like he might eventually be a real solid player. In the words of Asia; "Only time will tell".
Looking much more promising than at the beginning of the year. I personally believe he is a replica of Fast, only at the center position, but might end up on the wing. Who knows? More than likely we will lose Jesper......so, there ya' go. On the cheap.

Reactions: Ola

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Nevermind that he scored that beautiful breakaway goal on that great pass from Names.......just seemed to me that he had an all around solid game. Admittedly, I have been down on him, just not really expecting "too much", but for the 1st time I kind of feel like he might eventually be a real solid player. In the words of Asia; "Only time will tell".
Looking much more promising than at the beginning of the year. I personally believe he is a replica of Fast, only at the center position, but might end up on the wing. Who knows? More than likely we will lose Jesper......so, there ya' go. On the cheap.
They are nothing alike. Fast did not make his debut in the NHL at 20 years old. Anderson did. He was 23 years old when he played over 50 games with NYR. Anderson did so at 20. At the same age and for a few more years thereafter, Fast was still playing in the SEL.

Fast has absolutely nowhere near the ability of Anderson.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Lias has looked much more confident lately, he’s skating more with the puck and he’s been a lot more noticeable. Needs some PP time though hopefully in a one timer position. Still hasn’t got a chance to fully show off his good shot

Reactions: Rangers743

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

Sorry, but Fast and Lias aren't the same at all except they are Swedish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad