Speculation: Lias Andersson asks for a trade - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Leaving college in my senior year was probably good for my "mental" health. It was also stupid and immature and a price that took me years to finally pay back. 21-year-olds are still dumb and immature and make stupid decisions, so I understand that's part of the equation. But, until I see otherwise, I'm not seeing a higher ground here that Andersson is operating on.

I'm someone who never minded the Andersson pick as much as some, and thought the Rangers handling of him left quite a bit to be desired.

But having said that, this whole thing has me shaking my head. Only keeping the door slightly open for the possibility that something heinous went on behind the scenes has kept me from wanting to tell Andersson to not let the same door hit him on the ass on his way out.

The Sweetness

Jul 15, 2010
Stockholm
Leaving college in my senior year was probably good for my "mental" health. It was also stupid and immature and a price that took me years to finally pay back. 21-year-olds are still dumb and immature and make stupid decisions, so I understand that's part of the equation. But, until I see otherwise, I'm not seeing a higher ground here that Andersson is operating on.
I’m not saying Lias has a “higher ground”. He’s not really claiming he does either.

That’s being said, it’s impossible for us to judge him and his decision as we don’t know what he’s gone through. It could be he’s made an extremely difficult and intelligent decision that might have a positive impact on his life.

The thing about life is that you only get one and if a person is extremely unhappy it might be the right decision to make a difficult change for quality of life. I’d never venture to judge if one of our posters claimed he or she was unhappy living in another country and wanted to move home despite having the potential to make a ton of money. I won’t do it in Lias’ case.

As a Rangers fan I think this sucks. But it’s his life and none of us know anything about what’s going on so we shouldn’t judge him IMO.

Edit - I should add that Lias does need to keep communication with the NYR open. That’s something I’m judging him for.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
He's actually a really responsive dude.

I'd rally like to meet him at some point. I know many give him grief, and some of which he creates just based on his profession and goals with his articles, however I'm sure he has some crazy stories and quite a bit of insight into how it all works.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
So on the one hand you have a 21 y/o professional athlete and one cryptic, translated interview.

On the other hand, you have a bunch of people using this to make enormous claims not just about the personal life of the athlete in question but about entire swaths of people whose overlapping 'qualities' range from being born within a certain, arbitrarily ascribed set of years, being of a certain profession, of having any profession at all, or of being of a certain income bracket -- none of them necessarily at the same time.
Hello alien being welcome to earth and welcome to humanity.

@nyr2k2 is single-handily responsible for the collapse of Blockbuster video and the eventual rise of Netflix and other streaming services.

This is the biggest news we've had since @jas brought down a couple of stone tablets from Mount Sinai.

Nyr2k2 has been Marc Randolph all this time :eek:

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I'm someone who never minded the Andersson pick as much as some, and thought the Rangers handling of him left quite a bit to be desired.

But having said that, this whole thing has me shaking my head. Only keeping the door slightly open for the possibility that something heinous went on behind the scenes has kept me from wanting to tell Andersson to not let the same door hit him on the ass on his way out.

What I will say is that you're not going them all right all the time, so I'm not seeing something endemic to the Rangers, especially when we're seeing other success stories. But, as I postulated yesterday, the cynical bastard of me wonders if, seeing what down went with both Calgary and Toronto has influenced Andersson's approach in this matter.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I'd rally like to meet him at some point. I know many give him grief, and some of which he creates just based on his profession and goals with his articles, however I'm sure he has some crazy stories and quite a bit of insight into how it all works.

Larry can be a bit of a pain in the ass --- but that's also part of his job and how he's survived as long as he has.

On the issues where he's dug-in, he's stubborn and can be very...standoffish.

On other issues, he can be a very interesting conversation and someone who is deeply passionate about hockey.

Reactions: NYR Viper

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

Yeah barring some surprise revelations about coaching/mangement of Andersson this still feels like a guy who thought he wasn't treated as fairly by the coaching staff and organization as he believed and got so in his head about it that he decided to head home.

i some ways that's fine but my biggest complaint would again be how this has all played out in the media and blah blah blah

Reactions: jas

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Yeah barring some surprise revelations about coaching/mangement of Andersson this still feels like a guy who thought he wasn't treated as fairly by the coaching staff and organization as he believed and got so in his head about it that he decided to head home.

i some ways that's fine but my biggest complaint would again be how this has all played out in the media and blah blah blah

If he takes issue with how he was handled, I can understand that. In fact, I can agree with a lot of it.

I can understand if he wants a trade as well. But there's an approach to that. And that approach doesn't even have to be to do the Rangers any favors, it's about doing himself favors.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
@NernieBichols What you're saying is true, but it doesn't make it right. Ghosting your boss is never ok. If you're old enough to get a job, you're old enough to be responsible and answer the phone. If you can't then go home to mom and dad's because you ain't ready for the real world (which is exactly what he did).

Kids are maturing later in 1st world countries for whatever reason (*ahem* coddling *ahem*). Doesn't make this behavior more acceptable because it can be traced to a cause. Eventually individuals represent themselves no matter how they were raised.

I agree though, 21 is still very young to come to terms with your personal deficiencies, but it is still a very bad look for him professionally no matter the age.
I personally never ghosted a boss or took off without telling the place I was working for/with

But to be honest, I was the rare case within my circles in that way.

However, I have walked away from some dead end and bad work or pay situations on the spot and then never returned calls asking to come back or to pick up final checks

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
If he takes issue with how he was handled, I can understand that. In fact, I can agree with a lot of it.

I can understand if he wants a trade as well. But there's an approach to that. And that approach doesn't even have to be to do the Rangers any favors, it's about doing himself favors.

I guess I can see a guy hyped up on his draft position and the Rangers probably talked him up...felt high on himself. Then maybe he feels like they were harsh about Traverse, rushed him to the AHL, yo-yo'd him around, maybe they kept telling him "you need to do this or you'll never be a NHL player" and he felt he did do that but they didn't feel the same way, then Howden gets a long leash despite sucking and he's stuck on the fourth line, sent down, the final straw is he hurts his feet and wonders why he's putting his health on th eline for a franchise that doesn't seem to value him and is trying to trad ehim so he decides enough is enough

put all together maybe it makes sense but in the end the method is still perhaps not the greatest

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

Yeah this has been my thing all along. I understand why he was upset initially. Or, why he would be, since now I'm not sure based on what has been said. But I do understand why he'd theoretically be disappointed and upset. I complained pretty loudly over the past year-and-a-half or so about how the team handled him.

But when he reached the point where he decided something needed to be done about it, it seems like he did literally everything completely wrong. I don't know if it's just him being young and stupid, or his dad being a jerkoff, or his agent not being useful, a combination thereof, whatever...it has just been ugly. And it seems like every time he/his agent/his designee says something else, it just makes it worse.

Really odd situation, honestly. Sucks for us, sucks for him.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I guess I can see a guy hyped up on his draft position and the Rangers probably talked him up...felt high on himself. Then maybe he feels like they were harsh about Traverse, rushed him to the AHL, yo-yo'd him around, maybe they kept telling him "you need to do this or you'll never be a NHL player" and he felt he did do that but they didn't feel the same way, then Howden gets a long leash despite sucking and he's stuck on the fourth line, sent down, the final straw is he hurts his feet and wonders why he's putting his health on th eline for a franchise that doesn't seem to value him and is trying to trad ehim so he decides enough is enough

put all together maybe it makes sense but in the end the method is still perhaps not the greatest
Yeah, I agree. I started really angry at Andersson. Then I kinda backed off, and it was more 50/50. Then comes his initials interviews, and I don't know what to think. They come more, and he again looks like an ass. But it's been so all over the place, it's impossible to know fully what has happened, when it happened, why, who said what, etc. So basically I'm no longer mad at anyone and I'm just disappointed in the situation, since even if he was only going to be a 3C or whatever, we still basically just lost that for nothing. Or for something, but something we probably won't every really know about.

Reactions: egelband

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
Common sense tells me the NHL teams could have issues going forward on the gray area of whether pushing players to play through injuries is abusive: either physically or mentally

Playing through being hurt as opposed to injured and teams and trainers pushing younger players to test that threshold.

That’s always been a part of hockey.

But now, in light of the sensitivity to abuse, what if a player deems it to be abusive.

They forced me to play through pain or the more likely, they f***ed with me head to get me to play,

‘Oh don’t be a mary’
‘Your a hockey player, your alright’

All this stuff is suddenly touchy if you have an overly sensitive player on your hands.

Reactions: egelband

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX
Blockbuster never recovered from this.

Back in the late 90s, I had a Masters course case study on Blockbuster. I predicted a pretty rapid decline for Blockbuster. Most people argued against my prediction. Very few people knew about nyr2K2's resignation though.

As far as Lias goes, people are really getting worked up about it without knowing much, if anything. We can't hit on all draft picks. I'm not a fan of his leaving the team, but I'll pass on the name-calling and throwing accusations on either side. The only thing I really care about is hopefully we don't have a systemic issue. Time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad