Speculation: Lias Andersson asks for a trade - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
chances that he gets traded when:
the holiday roster freeze ends,
traded at the trade deadline or
do they make him sit and he gets traded at the NHL Draft??

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
chances that he gets traded when:
the holiday roster freeze ends,
traded at the trade deadline or
do they make him sit and he gets traded at the NHL Draft??
Unless is a really good deal I don’t see him being moved anytime soon. Maybe at the deadline to package with Kreider.

More likely I think he’s gone in the summer. Perhaps they work out an agreement for him to be loaned to another AHL team until they move him. Don’t see him back with Hartford

Last edited:

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Unless is a really good deal I don’t see him being moved anytime soon. Maybe at the deadline to package with Kreider.

More likely I think he’s gone in the summer. Perphaps they work out an agreement for him to be loaned to another AHL team until they move him. Don’t see him back with Hartford

Lias Andersson is an idiot for what he is doing. especially during his contract. such a selfish primadonna

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Yeah I’d be in no rush to trade him at all. If someone offers something great, take it. Otherwise, the org is under no obligation to take an even bigger loss on him as a favor to a guy who just screwed them.

Reactions: Buchnevich89

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Lias Andersson is an idiot for what he is doing. especially during his contract. such a selfish primadonna
Lias has no future here in NY. He knows we already tried to trade him.

Zbad
Chytil
Howden

Add Strome into the mix If someone goes down or the team needs a shake up.

He’s doing what he feels is best for his career. You’re allowed to be selfish when it comes down to your own life.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Unless Gorton takes pennies on the dollar, he will most likely be an add on in a deal.

At this point, I would let him eat cheetos and play video games. No matter how frustrated he was with the Rangers this move was pretty bad. Had he just shut up and worked hard he would have probably been called up sooner or later. He can eat a big bag of d--ks.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Yeah I’d be in no rush to trade him at all. If someone offers something great, take it. Otherwise, the org is under no obligation to take an even bigger loss on him as a favor to a guy who just screwed them.

It's not so much about trading as I'm not sure any GM is going to touch him after this.

Not just in the NHL, in professional sports as a whole, franchises are having a zero tolerance policy for using the third bully [social media] as leverage in trades and other negotiations.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
If there's no immediate trade for another struggling or disgruntled 1st round prospect out there, Andersson will have to report back to Hartford if he has any ambition to have an NHL career at all.

The Rangers will not trade him for cents on a dollar and unlike JP Lias is under contract with the Rangers through next year.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Unless Gorton takes pennies on the dollar, he will most likely be an add on in a deal.

At this point, I would let him eat cheetos and play video games. No matter how frustrated he was with the Rangers this move was pretty bad. Had he just shut up and worked hard he would have probably been called up sooner or later. He can eat a big bag of d--ks.

Called up for more 4th line duties playing 7min a game..? Lol.....

Letting Lias Rot does not help this club. Stop being overly emotional.

Gorton will do what’s best for the organization. He’s not going to sabotage Lias’s career because his feelings are butt hurt like some of ya’ll. He’ll move him straight up for another struggling prospect (which every team pretty much has) or he’ll be a nice sweetener for a bigger trade.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
I don’t think Lias’ value has dropped as far as some here are believing.

nominally he's got: a stacked trophy case; meh primary stats, 7th OA pick.

What has he really? Only aspect of his game I can defend is his defensive awareness. Some adv. stats guy tell me if my eye-test checks out and what else he's got going for him.
Talking "intangibles": he's has thrown every notion of attitude or leadership out of the window.

As far as I recall for myself, Lias didn't get any shots with better linemates though.

---------
People tend to simply look at the player, but the environment is the other major factor. What's the league gonna be looking for?
The league is becoming faster. Good skating is more than ever the prerequisite to a long term NHL career.
Aside from this fiasco, Lias' big weakness is skating, his value really shouldn't be high.

All in all I hope this somehow resolves itself with a great bottom-6er.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Lias has no future here in NY. He knows we already tried to trade him.

Zbad
Chytil
Howden

Add Strome into the mix If someone goes down or the team needs a shake up.

He’s doing what he feels is best for his career. You’re allowed to be selfish when it comes down to your own life.
Yeah, on a purely personal level I can understand the decision (just like with VK). My problem is that by walking away and forcing the team to suspend him, he has possibly significantly decreased our leverage in trade talks, which just makes it more difficult for us to trade him--in turn delaying what he wants. He may have also tarnished his image in the eyes of other clubs; totally possible there were some teams curious about him that have now said, "No way, no how!" now that he walked out, which again makes it more difficult to trade him.

I can understand the emotions at play, and I don't like how the Rangers handled him, either, but I think the way Lias himself has handled this has only made it much worse for himself.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Yeah, on a purely personal level I can understand the decision (just like with VK). My problem is that by walking away and forcing the team to suspend him, he has possibly significantly decreased our leverage in trade talks, which just makes it more difficult for us to trade him--in turn delaying what he wants. He may have also tarnished his image in the eyes of other clubs; totally possible there were some teams curious about him that have now said, "No way, no how!" now that he walked out, which again makes it more difficult to trade him.

I can understand the emotions at play, and I don't like how the Rangers handled him, either, but I think the way Lias himself has handled this has only made it much worse for himself.

I think Lias has absolutely made it harder on the team, but on the other hand, what happens if he gets hurt in one of those games he's currently sitting out? His stats aren't gonna make people bite on a trade, and if he brings an injury with him on top of that...

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
NYR Viper said:
I don’t think Lias’ value has dropped as far as some here are believing.

If teams behave rationally it should not drop at all. I've written about this in the past. Let us say the highest a team values Andersson as a player is pick 30. If they now say "Ok well with this situation the best I'm going to offer is pick 61" well that doesn't work. Then one of the other 30 teams will jump in and offer a pick between 30 and 61 since we know his true value is pick 30. But since they thought he was worth pick 30 beforehand, and he's still the same player, they should obviously beat the other teams offer and offer pick 30 now. So with it being a free trade market for them to behave rationally then none of this stuff affects his value at all. The only real exception to this is if a player has a NMC and will only accept a trade to one specific team.

All of that being said I don't believe his value was high in the first place (nor do I believe teams actually act rationally).

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT

I don’t mind that he requested a trade. But it does aggravate me that if went public, and that he left his team.

I’m not here trying to condone his actions. Nor blame the team entirely. Both sides royally ****ed up.

The value we could have gotten from him likely has dropped, but I don’t think it has drastically. I think GM’s are in-tune with what happened here.

Some teams might shy away, but at the end of the day you just need 1 interested party. The talks Gorton is having right now must be pretty interesting.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
nominally he's got: a stacked trophy case; meh primary stats, 7th OA pick.

What has he really? Only aspect of his game I can defend is his defensive awareness. Some adv. stats guy tell me if my eye-test checks out and what else he's got going for him.
Talking "intangibles": he's has thrown every notion of attitude or leadership out of the window.

As far as I recall for myself, Lias didn't get any shots with better linemates though.

---------
People tend to simply look at the player, but the environment is the other major factor. What's the league gonna be looking for?
The league is becoming faster. Good skating is more than ever the prerequisite to a long term NHL career.
Aside from this fiasco, Lias' big weakness is skating, his value really shouldn't be high.

All in all I hope this somehow resolves itself with a great bottom-6er.
FWIW, on the leadership thing, there have been so many guys who have captained NHL teams that have done things that are actually bad in a criminal or moral sense, and I'm sure they'd have some teammates lining up to tell you how amazing they were. Richards, Chelios, Corson, Theo Fleury (my boy), Alfredsson, etc. Hell, Messier isn't exactly the model of leadership, yet we all know how revered he is as "The Captain". Obviously these guys range from good to HOF NHL players, but my point is I don't know that this is indicative of poor leadership abilities. Poor attitude, yes. Leadership? It's hard to know without really knowing how he interacts with his teammates and coaches.

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I think Lias has absolutely made it harder on the team, but on the other hand, what happens if he gets hurt in one of those games he's currently sitting out? His stats aren't gonna make people bite on a trade, and if he brings an injury with him on top of that...
I think the Rangers would much rather have playing and work to move him, then the path he chose to take

It’s his right to do what he wants but I don’t think it was the wise choice to take

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Certainly true. You just have to weigh your options, I guess. I feel like for a 21-year-old who has proven nothing at the NHL level, he has more to gain by continuing to play and trying his best to show what he can do in the AHL than by walking away and "playing it safe". He should be showcasing himself instead of...this.

I mean if he went down to Hartford and busted his ass and scored 20 points in 20 games then I think he'd be moved a lot more quickly.

But that's just IMO.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
I think the Rangers would much rather have playing and work to move him, then the path he chose to take

It’s his right to do what he wants but I don’t think it was the wise choice to take

Why should he care what the Rangers would prefer? If he doesn't think he's got a future in the organization, which seems obvious by the trade request, why should he do them a favor?

Certainly true. You just have to weigh your options, I guess. I feel like for a 21-year-old who has proven nothing at the NHL level, he has more to gain by continuing to play and trying his best to show what he can do in the AHL than by walking away and "playing it safe". He should be showcasing himself instead of...this.

I mean if he went down to Hartford and busted his ass and scored 20 points in 20 games then I think he'd be moved a lot more quickly.

But that's just IMO.

Oh, for sure. But he'd also have to weigh the odds of doing that versus getting hurt and both making it harder for the team to trade him, and actually being hurt

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Why should he care what the Rangers would prefer? If he doesn't think he's got a future in the organization, which seems obvious by the trade request, why should he do them a favor?

Oh, for sure. But he'd also have to weigh the odds of doing that versus getting hurt and both making it harder for the team to trade him, and actually being hurt

Well probably because if they want the Rangers can completely ruin his NHL career by refusing to trade him and giving him QOs and then suspending him for refusing to report.

Reactions: haveandare

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Well probably because if they want the Rangers can completely ruin his NHL career by refusing to trade him and giving him QOs and then suspending him for refusing to report.

How does that benefit the Rangers though? What material benefit is there, as opposed to getting say a 2nd or 3rd round pick for him?

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
How does that benefit the Rangers though? What material benefit is there, as opposed to getting say a 2nd or 3rd round pick for him?

It does not benefit the Rangers but it would not surprise me if ownership took that stance rather than doing a favor to someone who acted in the manner you proposed,

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
It would probably be in his best interest to work with them though. Again he has every right not too, but it’s a lot easier to trade him if he’s showing he’s willing to work

Also not sure I see it as doing them a favor. He has a contract with them, it’s not like he’s playing for fun/free. And he’s been rightly suspended for violating the contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad