Speculation: Lias Andersson asks for a trade - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

archanfelnsx

Feb 25, 2018
Speculation here on my part but I believe his foot injury is the main source of all this. Maybe he got a bad diagnosis from the NYR or Hartford medical staff. Perhaps he came forward with the injury and the medical staff or coaching staff told him it wasn’t too serious and the injury became much worse. Compounding the issue is his frustration with playing poorly and getting sent down to the AHL.

He then loses trust in the organization and goes back to Sweden where he feels “safe”. His dad did say in the translated interview that if Lias didn’t go back to Sweden himself, he would’ve went to go and get him. It all adds up to physical and psychological issues that took the joy out of playing the game which affected his on ice performance. When he recovers from all this, which may take some time, I believe he will come back and either stick to his trade demand (most likely) or will return to Hartford more motivated and work harder to get back to the Rangers (less likely but I hope he does this).

Then trade him.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Have you started doing this because of Ola's mini-freakout the other day?

Because it gets me every time :laugh:

No offense @Ola , I just love seeing people getting razzed!

Haha, lol non taken, but did I have a mini-freak out the other day? Seriously though, not expecting and love for post I make in this thread and it’s a hard subject to get a message through. I know I am going to fail mostly, but that haven’t stopped me before. ;)

Last edited:

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
I don't share your views on JD.

But the one thing that's just not adding up is the disconnect between Lias and the organization's public commentary.

Lias says there were "incidents" and JD doesn't seem to think there was. How is it possible that JD knows nothing? Wouldn't Lias' agent have to tell the org what the issues were? Would the agent really leave the team in the dark like that? And wouldn't Lias have to tell his agent what the issues were?

I mean, it's either total career suicide to just up and leave a team and not share the full reasons why with your agent. Which seems unlikely. Or it's kinda career suicide for an Agent to not tell an organization why his client has left the team. I mean, the agent has more than just one client. He has relationships he needs to protect too.

Taking that all into account, here are some possibilities for what's happening.

1 - The agent/Lias are preparing to file a legit grievance with the NHLPA and until that's investigated are being tight lipped. But why would they file a grievance before bringing the issues up to the team first to see if they can address? Chances the team would know. Which means either JD is lying about knowing. Which seems odd because why wouldn't they just get out in front of something bad?

2 - Lias is not saying anything to anyone other than his family. And everyone else is baffled. Possible, I guess. Seems unbelievably immature for a professional athlete, even a 21 year old.

3 -- The Agent knows all and is lying to protect his client who's going through something more serious. I guess this is possible. But if it were anything serious the team would need to know. It's almost malpractice to without anything serious.

4 - JD knows much more than he's letting on. He has tried to apologize and sort things out, and is lying to protect... Lias and what little is left of his trade value. I find it highly doubtful that JD is lying to protect the organization as that will only backfire if and when anything truly terrible could come out. If it was truly bad, you'd see heads roll and you might not know why (like the Montgomery situation). If JD is hiding something bad for the org it will look really bad eventually because he will accused of covering something up or almost as bad, he didn't know anything.

If I had to put my money on what's going on? Chances are JD is withholding most of what he knows but not because the incidents are truly bad for the Rangers.

Though, finally, I will say this. David Cunniff left Hartford abruptly for a new coaching opportunity on November 27th. Not much was said about it. And it's odd for a coach to leave right in the middle of the season like that. And oddly, it happened about 9-10 days after Lias was sent down. If anything I do find that timing interesting or at least coincidental.

You could tell from watching the games that Lias was deeply frustrated when he first went down. But one couldn't tell if it was just about his own game or being sent down.
Interesting note you brought up about a coach leaving on November 27th. That’s a day after the peters story broke

Follow-up: from reading the article I linked- sounds like David cunnif was offered an upgrade position and that things were positive in Hartford but couldn’t pass up the chance to be the head man.

Worcester Railers make changes: GM/coach Jamie Russell fired, David Cunniff hired

Last edited:
Reactions: Ola

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I also think JD is being honest and sincere.

The problem is that the way he handles it is unprofessional and not constructive.

This of course don’t change how I feel about the situation, it could be 90/10 or 10/90 on the team/Lias, and I am leaning towards the later being more at fault than the organization for sure. But it takes two to tango and JDs statements just oozes of the environment in which you get these kind of problems to start with.

1. First of all, it’s a real character assassination of Lias (an asset we are trying to trade):

According to JD there is one problem, Lias is “disappointed”. Since Lias is referring to several instances that are non-hockey related, JD is directly also saying that Lias is completely delusional. Right? Correct me if I am wrong. Sure there are some ifs, but in today’s media world we know those won’t get through.

And there is more:
"Sometimes the other person needs time to try to figure this stuff out.

there’s the reality of what you have to go through to play. And this is a tough league. This is a hard game

So according to JD, Lias is not only butt-hurt and delusional, but also soft. Right?

All these comments are very defensive/protective. But they help the Organization how exactly? If any kid ever gets a problem with something, they know the Presidents stance at least, they will be deemed to be butt-hurt, delusional and soft.

2. Why does Lias say A but not B? Why does he make vague comments?

Seriously, why should he? He can have all kinds of reasons for not going public with everything. The details can be very hard to communicate, the little that is tangible is usually the tip of the ice berg. I am sure everyone can imagine that. Is it his problem? No it’s not, — IF — there are issues (Lias feels that there are, they don’t have to have big magnitude to the rest of us, or they do, who really knows) it’s the organization’s problem. An employee has zero obligations to go lengths to have an employer get rid of rotten eggs or correct issues. Kudos to those that do, but they have no obligation to do so.

3. And again, the talk a long the lines of how this organization’s top management have the heart in the right place and hence it’s unlikely to be any legit problems.

Like OMG lol. I don’t know where to start, if you understand why I roll my eyes at that, you do, if you don’t you don’t.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I don't share your views on JD.

But the one thing that's just not adding up is the disconnect between Lias and the organization's public commentary.

Lias says there were "incidents" and JD doesn't seem to think there was. How is it possible that JD knows nothing? Wouldn't Lias' agent have to tell the org what the issues were? Would the agent really leave the team in the dark like that? And wouldn't Lias have to tell his agent what the issues were?

I mean, it's either total career suicide to just up and leave a team and not share the full reasons why with your agent. Which seems unlikely. Or it's kinda career suicide for an Agent to not tell an organization why his client has left the team. I mean, the agent has more than just one client. He has relationships he needs to protect too.

Taking that all into account, here are some possibilities for what's happening.

1 - The agent/Lias are preparing to file a legit grievance with the NHLPA and until that's investigated are being tight lipped. But why would they file a grievance before bringing the issues up to the team first to see if they can address? Chances the team would know. Which means either JD is lying about knowing. Which seems odd because why wouldn't they just get out in front of something bad?

2 - Lias is not saying anything to anyone other than his family. And everyone else is baffled. Possible, I guess. Seems unbelievably immature for a professional athlete, even a 21 year old.

3 -- The Agent knows all and is lying to protect his client who's going through something more serious. I guess this is possible. But if it were anything serious the team would need to know. It's almost malpractice to without anything serious.

4 - JD knows much more than he's letting on. He has tried to apologize and sort things out, and is lying to protect... Lias and what little is left of his trade value. I find it highly doubtful that JD is lying to protect the organization as that will only backfire if and when anything truly terrible could come out. If it was truly bad, you'd see heads roll and you might not know why (like the Montgomery situation). If JD is hiding something bad for the org it will look really bad eventually because he will accused of covering something up or almost as bad, he didn't know anything.

If I had to put my money on what's going on? Chances are JD is withholding most of what he knows but not because the incidents are truly bad for the Rangers.

Though, finally, I will say this. David Cunniff left Hartford abruptly for a new coaching opportunity on November 27th. Not much was said about it. And it's odd for a coach to leave right in the middle of the season like that. And oddly, it happened about 9-10 days after Lias was sent down. If anything I do find that timing interesting or at least coincidental.

You could tell from watching the games that Lias was deeply frustrated when he first went down. But one couldn't tell if it was just about his own game or being sent down.

Deep down I like JD a lot, but I am just afraid that he won’t do a great job. Messier is my biggest idol, not sure I want him to coach etc.

However, one thing that we shouldn’t forget is that these things can be about anything really. Vinny L and Brendan Smith had big issues with each other and ended up having a real ugly bout on the ice during practice. Maybe some players were really close to McCambrige and thinks the high profile kids got him fired with poor reviews. There have been several high profile incidents between groups in lockerroom siding on different sides before and after a coach firing.

Or there can be a number of things. Girl friends. Whatever.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
If I were Lias' agent, I would really think about the consequences of these events with Lias.

Does the agent look appealing to future clients based on how this is playing out? Given the advice and council may not be adhered to, but rather how the agent is having to leak things to the media. Having to reach out to Dreger to say his client doesn't have mental health issues. The public trade request after walking out from the Rangers.

Some agents are hard to deal with from a team's perspective, but they are great for their clients. Think guys like Allan Walsh. Some agents are great brokers, advisors and mediators.

But having to release statements through the media to reflect how his client is feeling, and act as a conduit for a communique when a simple phone call would suffice isn't the most dignified position to find yourself in.

JD spoke about disappointment. He was very classy in his message. This to me, is a byproduct of pride and immaturity.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I also think JD is being honest and sincere.

The problem is that the way he handles it is unprofessional and not constructive.

This of course don’t change how I feel about the situation, it could be 90/10 or 10/90 on the team/Lias, and I am leaning towards the later being more at fault than the organization for sure. But it takes two to tango and JDs statements just oozes of the environment in which you get these kind of problems to start with.

1. First of all, it’s a real character assassination of Lias (an asset we are trying to trade):

According to JD there is one problem, Lias is “disappointed”. Since Lias is referring to several instances that are non-hockey related, JD is directly also saying that Lias is completely delusional. Right? Correct me if I am wrong. Sure there are some ifs, but in today’s media world we know those won’t get through.

And there is more:
"Sometimes the other person needs time to try to figure this stuff out.

there’s the reality of what you have to go through to play. And this is a tough league. This is a hard game

So according to JD, Lias is not only ********* and delusional, but also soft. Right?

All these comments are very defensive/protective. But they help the Organization how exactly? If any kid ever gets a problem with something, they know the Presidents stance at least, they will be deemed to be *********, delusional and soft.

2. Why does Lias say A but not B? Why does he make vague comments?

Seriously, why should he? He can have all kinds of reasons for not going public with everything. The details can be very hard to communicate, the little that is tangible is usually the tip of the ice berg. I am sure everyone can imagine that. Is it his problem? No it’s not, — IF — there are issues (Lias feels that there are, they don’t have to have big magnitude to the rest of us, or they do, who really knows) it’s the organization’s problem. An employee has zero obligations to go lengths to have an employer get rid of rotten eggs or correct issues. Kudos to those that do, but they have no obligation to do so.

3. And again, the talk a long the lines of how this organization’s top management have the heart in the right place and hence it’s unlikely to be any legit problems.

Like OMG lol. I don’t know where to start, if you understand why I roll my eyes at that, you do, if you don’t you don’t.

Most people try to read between the lines, but if you go to the sub sub sub-basement, you’ll find whatever delusional slop this take is.

Reactions: mrmovies779

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Way too much drama for a grown ass man to care about. I really don’t care about lias and what happens to him at this point, just want him gone.

Credit to JD for the effort, Im sure he had to bite his tongue a lot during this whole dumb ordeal

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
F***ing dramatic mess which honestly just blows for both sides.

Ranger luck just had to rear it's ugly f***in' face this year, huh? Bread, Tony & Foxy going next level but nooooo we had to have a 7OA bolt on the org.

Honestly, this is worse than Dylan Mac right now, at this moment in time.

Reactions: RGY

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
The medal throw

7OA

mcilrath 10OA

Cant skate

But... intangibles

hartford

bad feet

Home to Sweden

is he really Russian and not Swede ?

enver lisin was also Russian. They said....

i wanted tarasenko

vague references

bullying is wrong

suck it up buttercup

fire renney

Any questions ?
Disjointed, but could go well with this:

Reactions: East Coast Bias

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
F***ing dramatic mess which honestly just blows for both sides.

Ranger luck just had to rear it's ugly f***in' face this year, huh? Bread, Tony & Foxy going next level but nooooo we had to have a 7OA bolt on the org.

Honestly, this is worse than Dylan Mac right now, at this moment in time.

these things happen. Did we really expect everything to work out? Let’s be happy about the positive situations you mentioned.

what makes the Andersson situation particularly galling is how he’s being such a spoiled brat. But, to be brutally honest, he was on the path to Bustville even before this childish episode

Reactions: haveandare

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Don't think JD said much tbh. Unless Andersson expresses to someone in the organization what the issue was outside of being disappointed he wasn't an NHLer yet, how can he or the organization know?

He said he called him and Andersson said talk through my agent. JD then did that, multiple times.

All we know is Andersson was disturbed by something and that he is injured at the moment. We don't know for how long he's been hurt.

JD said something because too much was being speculated and if they said nothing on it, that speculation would continue and the narrative would be that the Rangers are ignoring it all together. That had to change.

At this point, there is no trade option. He's in the organization until this is fully rectified or if it doesn't his professional career pretty much is over

Let's make something clear.

Andersson was allegedly disturbed by something and is allegedly injured.

Reactions: JimmyG89

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Send Lias and Georgiev to Canes for a 1st and something more. Move on from this mess.

That package aint landing a 1st. Andersson has negative value at this point. Id truly be surprised if we could move him for anything more than like a 4th rounder. And goalies never return squat. Add in the fact that teams know we are in a pickle when it comes to goalies, no teams giving us a 1st for Georgiev

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Lias is not going anywhere. Let him rot or never play in the NHL. I hope they can suspend him and his freeze his ELC. You cant let the player dictate what an organization, or the employer, does. Berglund was suspended. Same should happen for Lias. I am all for the player’s right to request* a trade but you dont just up and leave. You play. Just an awful job by him and his agents too.

Trading for anything less than a 2nd round pick is not even worth it imo. You force him to come back or simply never be an NHLer

Reactions: tbassler

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
That package aint landing a 1st. Andersson has negative value at this point. Id truly be surprised if we could move him for anything more than like a 4th rounder. And goalies never return squat. Add in the fact that teams know we are in a pickle when it comes to goalies, no teams giving us a 1st for Georgiev
If we could move Lias for a fourth then his value isn't negative. LOL. People keep saying he has negative value, which would mean we would be willing to give up an asset simply to get rid of him.

He has very minimal value, one would assume. But it's not negative. It's extremely rare that a guy would actually have negative value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad