Speculation: Lias Andersson asks for a trade - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pidto Files

Nov 8, 2019
Lias has no future here in NY. He knows we already tried to trade him.

Zbad
Chytil
Howden

Add Strome into the mix If someone goes down or the team needs a shake up.

He’s doing what he feels is best for his career. You’re allowed to be selfish when it comes down to your own life.
Sure. Doesn't mean you abandon your team. There's such a thing known as being a professional.. Lias is acting out by leaving.

Pidto Files

Nov 8, 2019
Called up for more 4th line duties playing 7min a game..? Lol.....

Letting Lias Rot does not help this club. Stop being overly emotional.

Gorton will do what’s best for the organization. He’s not going to sabotage Lias’s career because his feelings are butt hurt like some of ya’ll. He’ll move him straight up for another struggling prospect (which every team pretty much has) or he’ll be a nice sweetener for a bigger trade.
How is a kid who can barely skate, sulked when sent down, and now left his club a sweetener? Lias is damaged goods. It is what it is. The biggest thing is he left. Shows character issues just the wrong kind.

Pidto Files

Nov 8, 2019
If teams behave rationally it should not drop at all. I've written about this in the past. Let us say the highest a team values Andersson as a player is pick 30. If they now say "Ok well with this situation the best I'm going to offer is pick 61" well that doesn't work. Then one of the other 30 teams will jump in and offer a pick between 30 and 61 since we know his true value is pick 30. But since they thought he was worth pick 30 beforehand, and he's still the same player, they should obviously beat the other teams offer and offer pick 30 now. So with it being a free trade market for them to behave rationally then none of this stuff affects his value at all. The only real exception to this is if a player has a NMC and will only accept a trade to one specific team.

All of that being said I don't believe his value was high in the first place (nor do I believe teams actually act rationally).
I see how you ended your post. I agree with you about his trade value as well. Teams can also rationalise his absence as a major red flag and not want him because he may pull this shit again.

Pidto Files

Nov 8, 2019
I don’t mind that he requested a trade. But it does aggravate me that if went public, and that he left his team.

I’m not here trying to condone his actions. Nor blame the team entirely. Both sides royally ****ed up.

The value we could have gotten from him likely has dropped, but I don’t think it has drastically. I think GM’s are in-tune with what happened here.

Some teams might shy away, but at the end of the day you just need 1 interested party. The talks Gorton is having right now must be pretty interesting.[/QUOTE]
I mean if it's about a bag of pucks or a new Zamboni in Hartford. I can buy that....Lias just isn't that good. I go and watch the Pack. Lias has been a weight on his line mates in the f***ing AHL. Other teams see this, too. His value has been completely deflated.

Pidto Files

Nov 8, 2019
Certainly true. You just have to weigh your options, I guess. I feel like for a 21-year-old who has proven nothing at the NHL level, he has more to gain by continuing to play and trying his best to show what he can do in the AHL than by walking away and "playing it safe". He should be showcasing himself instead of...this.

I mean if he went down to Hartford and busted his ass and scored 20 points in 20 games then I think he'd be moved a lot more quickly.

But that's just IMO.

Showcasing himself is what he should do. However, he is not skilled enough to put up aPPG in the AHL. He's just not that good. He disappears for long stretches has since he was sent down. He looks even more lost this year compared to last. You can see it on his face. Has been just going through the motions since November.

Pidto Files

Nov 8, 2019
Why should he care what the Rangers would prefer? If he doesn't think he's got a future in the organization, which seems obvious by the trade request, why should he do them a favor?

Oh, for sure. But he'd also have to weigh the odds of doing that versus getting hurt and both making it harder for the team to trade him, and actually being hurt

Because he is still being paid????????

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Showcasing himself is what he should do. However, he is not skilled enough to put up aPPG in the AHL. He's just not that good. He disappears for long stretches has since he was sent down. He looks even more lost this year compared to last. You can see it on his face. Has been just going through the motions since November.
I think he is skilled enough to put up a PPG in the AHL like he did when he started with 12 in 12. The problem is mental with him, and whatever is going on between his ears prevents him from producing. Even if we're not talking a literal point per game, he absolutely has the talent to have a season like Steven Fogarty did last year: 21/31/52 in 66, 50 PIM. Andersson could do that if he actually decided to dedicate himself to playing hard and exerting maximum effort.

Alas, it won't happen, because he has decided he's too good to be down there or whatever.

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
I understand. Just seems like Tolvanen could be a Brandon Pirri type player, which ultimately is probably a more useful player than what Lias is projecting to be

And I've said this before...but wait for it...(drum roll)...ultimately, all of these players are irrelevant. They are replaceable parts and do not move the needle whatsoever.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
i cant be the only one who thinks this kid lacks legit NHL skills.

those skills wont magically appear elsewhere just bc he changes sweaters.

every player has a "book".

chads books says hes slow. at everything he does. and slow my friends doesnt work well in any sport.

and now a new chapter in his book. attitude.

i see bad things here. bad pick. bad player. bad ending. crap for crap = crap

hope im wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pidto Files

Deleted member 23124

those skills wont magically appear elsewhere just became he changes sweaters.

chads books says hes slow. at everything he does. and slow my friends doesnt work well in any sport.

hope im wrong.

Attitude was there before he got here...

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Lias has played 9:33/game. There are 9 players classified as rookies this year who have played less than that (min 10 GP and of various prospect levels) - Gustafsson/Luoto/Chalpik/Timashov/Gregor/Beaudin/Kamenev/Poehling/Verhaege. That's 3 second rounders and one first rounder.

19 rookies played less than that last year. Notable ones being A.J. Greer, Appleton, Kamenev, Lemieux, Frederic, and then Kyrou at 9:40.

It's hardly unprecedented usage and I don't see any of the other guys quitting. Even if he was the highest draft pick there so what? His production hasn't been better than many of them.
Just moving this over to the Lias thread. Thank you for this. It's exactly what I've been saying. His development may not have been ideal - and he was probably rushed - but his treatment hasn't been walk-out-on-the-team bad.
Unless there's more to the story we don't know. But we can only judge based on what we know.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

those skills wont magically appear elsewhere just became he changes sweaters.

hope im wrong.

I mean, you're not wrong, here. I don't see a single TRUE NHL-level skill in him. I see a bunch of AAAA level skills. Sometimes those guys who can do everything at a AAAA level can make it.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

those skills wont magically appear elsewhere just bc he changes sweaters.

hope im wrong.

You're probably not the only one, but all it takes is a couple of GMs to think otherwise to get a decent deal. We'll see. I certainly won't be surprised if it's crap for crap, but maybe there's a Nylander deal somewhere out there.

Reactions: Trxjw and jas

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I understand. Just seems like Tolvanen could be a Brandon Pirri type player, which ultimately is probably a more useful player than what Lias is projecting to be
Would rather include him as a sweetener in a bigger deal for a longer term piece. Even if it ends up being overpayment.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I hope they don't. Sometimes a relationship is doomed to fail. Dragging it out and bring vindictive is not the answer. It's business after all.

It is a business. Precisely why you can't let a bad player on a rookie contract dictate whether he will be a part of your team or not. You cannot let a bad egg like that have so much power.

99.9% of the time I come down on the side of the player versus the owners/team. This is a case where a player is completely in the wrong.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
It is a business. Precisely why you can't let a bad player on a rookie contract dictate whether he will be a part of your team or not. You cannot let a bad egg like that have so much power.

99.9% of the time I come down on the side of the player versus the owners/team. This is a case where a player is completely in the wrong.
Yeah, I can see that too. It could be a bad precedent. I have the talk about Puljujarvi in the back of my head where Oilers fans were like, let him rot until his rights expire. But he wasn’t under contract. This is a different kind of situation. Fair point.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Yeah, I can see that too. It could be a bad precedent. I have the talk about Puljujarvi in the back of my head where Oilers fans were like, let him rot until his rights expire. But he wasn’t under contract. This is a different kind of situation. Fair point.

Yeah, this guy is getting some awful advice from his agent (or ignored his agent). It's such a bad look and he has no real cards, here.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Maybe Quinn has not give Andersson a look because of his attitude and something that has happened behind the scenes, maybe he did something we don't know about. Maybe he shown the coaches that he has not worked hard like the coaching staff wants him too. Listening in practice could be an issue with Andersson

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
His skating was always going to be an issue, people just hoped he had the hockey IQ to make up for it

And thus far he hasn’t.

I had been saying for a while he would make a better wing, and Chytil a center.

I’d be up to trade him for another struggling 2017 prospect like Tolvanen, but I worry Quinn will not like a player like Tolvanen

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
I mean, how hard could helping this kid improve his skating be? That's what blows my mind. And even regardless of his speed (which hey as crazy as it is, some guys have made it a whole career being bad skaters), if he showed up this year and played the way he did, just give the kid his shot.

I put more on the team then the kid here. Are we sure Lias is the one who exploited the trade request? Genuine question, not defending him blindly. I don't agree with that but to this point I see a mishandling of your player from the point of the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad