Prospect Info: Liam Ohgren LW, 19th Overall, 2022 NHL Draft

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I saw the speed and good skating others did. He isn’t the high end offensive talent but we sure drafted a sure fire 3rd line shutdown wing in the first which I know we all dream about!!
Haven’t really watched the WJC, but he never seemed like a top line player when he was drafted. More of a middle 6 Swiss Army Knife kind of guy. Not a super sexy draft pick, but certainly useful. Plus we drafted Yurov shortly after so I’m okay with the “safer” pick.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
So many times he’d just skate the puck into the zone, kinda float to no man’s land/the perimeter and give it away. Like he’s not thinking of where he wants to go or what to do with the puck. Looked pretty weak out there when not forechecking.

Reactions: MNRube

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
So many times he’d just skate the puck into the zone, kinda float to no man’s land/the perimeter and give it away. Like he’s not thinking of where he wants to go or what to do with the puck. Looked pretty weak out there when not forechecking.
Didn’t he just come back from injury not too long ago?

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
I was wondering how he performed at the World Jr's as I saw he only had 2 assists. Reading through the thread I see he wasn't too impressive. I thought he would have played much more of an offensive role especially after being named "Captain".

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
I was wondering how he performed at the World Jr's as I saw he only had 2 assists. Reading through the thread I see he wasn't too impressive. I thought he would have played much more of an offensive role especially after being named "Captain".
He was not bad at all. Snakebitten and had a hard time getting his shot through. Hit the crossbar and missed a couple of breakaways.
Played high slot on #1 PP, and the shooters often scored directly with no rebounds in front that he could shovel in.
I think he plays better soon.
He only played 5 SHL games since coming back from a back injury.

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
Thank you. I didn't get to watch any of the games so I was just going off stats and a few quotes. I was thinking too that he just came back from injury, and it's sounds like he could of had better stats too. If only he was a little bit luckier with crossbars aand missed breakaways.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
It's funny how a guy can put up no points at the WJC then score in the pros, and some other guys light up the WJC and then can't score in the pros.
WJC is still kids. Professional hockey is a completely different game.
What works with kids doesn't necessarily work in the pros, and not all pro things are understood by kids.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
It's funny how a guy can put up no points at the WJC then score in the pros, and some other guys light up the WJC and then can't score in the pros.
Quinn Finley played a depth role for USA and proceeded to score a hat trick in his first game back for Wisconsin.

I like that Ohgren is willing to turn and rip it.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
WJC is still kids. Professional hockey is a completely different game.
What works with kids doesn't necessarily work in the pros, and not all pro things are understood by kids.
It's more the reverse of that that's the interesting part. Ohgren put up a low amount of points in the WJC-U20 both of the last two years, and has actually outperformed those campaigns in both pro season he's played (by scoring rate). It's just a little weird.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I got impression he was hurt. Every time he would try to turn with the puck he lost it. Like he has a wrist injury

I also think a lot of guys aren’t built to dominant and when they go from playing pros to their peers they overcompensate and get away from the game they usually play

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
His point production is starting to heat up a little, last game he got an assist and today he scored another goal. He was one of the 3 shooters in the shootout and tried to go 5-hole from the slot. I liked his attempt even though he didn't score. No playing around, a fast shot from high slot area but the goalie read it well.
He's gonna be just fine, if it were my call I would let him play another year in the SHL and mature as a goal scorer and playmaker instead of rushing him overseas.
Luckily for everyone, it's not my call.

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
Five goals with one assist through 15 games. Any news?
His overall play is much better lately. He is finding his teammates and they are finding him. His team has been in a slump recently, and got shutout in three games, but did score 6 goals last game and is now on a 3 game win streak.
He gets PP time and looks more comfortable now, playing in a better league than he ever did before.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
He’s going to be a great 3rd liner
Sounds good to me. Could end up with 3 pretty good lines if that happens, each able to score some goals. Though, I have serious doubts about how good Zuccarello is going to be 2 years from now.

Kaprizov - Hartman - Yurov
Boldy - Rossi - Zuccarello
Ohgren - JEE - Foligno
someone - Gaudreau - someone else

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Sounds good to me. Could end up with 3 pretty good lines if that happens, each able to score some goals. Though, I have serious doubts about how good Zuccarello is going to be 2 years from now.

Kaprizov - Hartman - Yurov
Boldy - Rossi - Zuccarello
Ohgren - JEE - Foligno
someone - Gaudreau - someone else
C'mon man, lighten up! Heidt will be killing it in the top 6, and complaining about playing with shit players when stuck on a line with Zucc. Marat will kick Freddy's ass in a dressing room fight, who will ask for a contract termination and sue Leipold. Foligno will demand a trade to the new franchise in Salt Lake City, as he heard you can legally have more than one wife there(Taylor Swift will have broken up with Kelce by this time, and... well, you connect the dots).

And Stramel... well ... ya...

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Kunin was a 20-20 guy for those two years. I just don't see him with the skating, playmaking or puck handling ability Johansson has at the NHL level. I think he's more rugged than Johansson too. Kunin didn't really excel at any one thing, though he was decent enough at everything, and his strength was his shot. That's how I see Ohgren.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad