NFL: Le'Veon Bell continues holdout - will not report in 2018

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Unlike the NHL, there's no soon deadline to sign and be playoff eligible.

It's week 17

It has nothing to do with playoff eligibility. The only scenarios left are:

-Bell signs with the Steelers before November 13th and then they use him as they see fit
-Bell doesn't sign with the Steelers before November 13th and can't play football this year
-The Steelers rescind the franchise tag and Bell is free to sign with anyone

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014

-Bell signs with the Steelers before November 13th and then they use him as they see fit
-Bell doesn't sign with the Steelers before November 13th and can't play football this year

IMO, option 1 is the likeliest, but what's the chances of #3 happening?

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

probably pretty low. his cap hit wouldn't be that bad they can't stomach it, Bell is still likely better than conner, conner could get injured, steelers love their comp picks and wouldn't be eligible for one if they rescinded the tag.

#1 has 99% chance of happening, imo.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

probably pretty low. his cap hit wouldn't be that bad they can't stomach it, Bell is still likely better than conner, conner could get injured, steelers love their comp picks and wouldn't be eligible for one if they rescinded the tag.

#1 has 99% chance of happening, imo.

They can stomach the cap hit, but essentially it will come down to having Bell for a few games & a 2020 3rd vs saving 7 or 8 million in cap space for next season.

But yeah, I agree that there's a high chance of #1 happening. I would say 90% chance of it, if not more.

I would be very interesting if Conner got hurt because in that situation Bell could demand more money from the Steelers to sign the tag. He could ask for his full salary this year just for playing the last 5 or 6 games or whatever. If that happens, this whole thing might still end up a win for Bell.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire

They can give him the transition tag. That would work against Bell. I know Connor is saying all the right things regarding Bell maybe coming back, but you have to wonder how he will be received in the room by the 53 players.
Do Steeler fans have any faith in Tomlin doing what is right for the team if he does come back?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
They can give him the transition tag. That would work against Bell. I know Connor is saying all the right things regarding Bell maybe coming back, but you have to wonder how he will be received in the room by the 53 players.
Do Steeler fans have any faith in Tomlin doing what is right for the team if he does come back?

The scenarios I presented were the ones for this season, but yes the transition is in play for next year.

I have faith Tomlin can get it figured out, yeah. I have less faith that they can figure out how to stop Mahomes or Brady from ripping apart their secondary in the playoffs, though. Would have been nice to have used that Bell $$ on a starting CB last year.

Reactions: DaveG

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
He should be extra careful after what just happened with Dez. He went from working out on his own, reportedly being in great shape, and then tearing his Achilles two days later when he went full go in a NFL practice. Maybe that's just a fluke occurrence but we've seen this with players who miss a bunch of time before as well. It's usually the soft tissue injuries rather than something very serious though.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
No big loss, hope he's happy when he gets less money.
It’s a gamble for sure. RBs don’t have a long shelf life. Shady McCoy is in year 10 and not having a very good season. This would have been year 6 for Bell.
Bell has made around $16 million so far in 5 years, most of it from them tag he played under last year. He could have been at $31 million or so after the tag this year. If he played in the tag this year at the pace he was on last year with 400 touches I highly doubt he gets a boatload of guaranteed money on his next deal.

He would be looking at a signing bonus plus his first year base salary guaranteed with maybe a small amount of year 2 base guaranteed only. I think any new team keeps him for 2 years and come the off season after that 2nd year, so after year 8 for Bell, they are prepared to cut ties with him.

Those 2 years would be worth between $25 to $30 million. Taking his career earnings to between $56 to $60 million over 8 years.

Is he going to for sure earn $40 million after not playing this year? Any new team would have to keep him for 3 years basically.

I think it would likely come out as a wash. Don’t think he would make $10 million more by sitting out this year vs playing on the tag and leaving Pitt in the off season.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
7 figure talent, 2 cent brain.
That’s where the agent has to be realistic with his client. Play on the tag to get to $30 million in career earnings through 6 years. Likely get around $25 million guaranteed on the next deal. Can earn more but it won’t be guaranteed.

This route they are taking, don’t think it nets him more money overall. It likely will get him more guaranteed money to protect against injuries which is the only reason to pursue this option.

I mean Pitt would run him into the ground with 400 touches.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I think Bell is done in Pittsburgh. the room seems to be much tighter now and listening to some of the players they dont want him back. Connor of course is saying all the right things because he is a good dude and a really good RB.
He is only hurting himself right now. which really isnt all that shocking.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
That’s where the agent has to be realistic with his client. Play on the tag to get to $30 million in career earnings through 6 years. Likely get around $25 million guaranteed on the next deal. Can earn more but it won’t be guaranteed.

This route they are taking, don’t think it nets him more money overall. It likely will get him more guaranteed money to protect against injuries which is the only reason to pursue this option.

I mean Pitt would run him into the ground with 400 touches.

The agent botched this one from the beginning. His priority should have been to get Bell paid this year, whether with the Steelers or demanding a trade. Oh well.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The agent botched this one from the beginning. His priority should have been to get Bell paid this year, whether with the Steelers or demanding a trade. Oh well.
Steelers weren’t trading him from what it appears. He’s untradable once the deadline of the franchise tag passed to get a long term dea done. Whether in Pitt or somewhere else Bell would not be happy on the tag. Now, would a team have been able to trade for him then rescind the tag them sign him to a multi year deal or once the tag is rescinded after the long term dea deadline, the team holding his rights at the time can’t be the one to sign him?

I personally hope both sides lose out. That Pitt goes down early in the playoffs. As an outside third party I get both sides but given how short careers are I’m not a fan of the tag, either you want the player or if you are not comfortable giving him a long term dea with guaranteed money let him go. Pitt is allowing his money to go unused this year cause they expect him back.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Steelers weren’t trading him from what it appears. He’s untradable once the deadline of the franchise tag passed to get a long term dea done. Whether in Pitt or somewhere else Bell would not be happy on the tag. Now, would a team have been able to trade for him then rescind the tag them sign him to a multi year deal or once the tag is rescinded after the long term dea deadline, the team holding his rights at the time can’t be the one to sign him?

I personally hope both sides lose out. That Pitt goes down early in the playoffs. As an outside third party I get both sides but given how short careers are I’m not a fan of the tag, either you want the player or if you are not comfortable giving him a long term dea with guaranteed money let him go. Pitt is allowing his money to go unused this year cause they expect him back.

I meant trade him in last offseason, which was the obvious solution. Poorly played by everyone involved.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I think the situation might best be summed up as: does sitting out a year extend his career by a year? I suspect it will, but who knows. With running backs it tends to be the mileage that finishes them more then pure age.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think the situation might best be summed up as: does sitting out a year extend his career by a year? I suspect it will, but who knows. With running backs it tends to be the mileage that finishes them more then pure age.
I think it’s a push. Neither extended nor shortened. But, by playing it out the way he has he just ensured that he didn’t get a taxing 400 touch workload and then get dumped at the curb. Plus he goes to market with clean health.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad