NFL: Le'Veon Bell continues holdout - will not report in 2018

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Nah, he'll get paid.

Earl Thomas would, too, but who knows how his injury will change his next deal.

I think it worked out OK for Earl Thomas. He played great this year and since he showed up he got paid his full contract. He'll be completely healthy as an UFA and get a good deal.

Bell has already lost 5 or 6 million bucks that's he's never making back.

Reactions: MikeyMike01

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
At this point I assume he doesn't want to be traded at the risk of being exposed behind a poor offensive line somewhere else. So, hold out past the trade deadline.

Just a guess though - who knows what he's thinking at this point. I guess when you make a dumb decision you might as well go all-in on it. Costing him money though, for sure.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
At this point I assume he doesn't want to be traded at the risk of being exposed behind a poor offensive line somewhere else. So, hold out past the trade deadline.

Just a guess though - who knows what he's thinking at this point. I guess when you make a dumb decision you might as well go all-in on it. Costing him money though, for sure.
This is so ridiculous.

Is there seriously 1 GM who's going to be dumb enough to make him the highest paid RB at this point? All he wants is to protect himself on a chance to cash in, including his number of touches in the future which he has already discussed at large.

Sone teams like the Colts, Jets, Texans and the 49ers have the need and the cap space to sign him, but why throw out so much money for a guy with that attitude?

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
This is so ridiculous.

Is there seriously 1 GM who's going to be dumb enough to make him the highest paid RB at this point? All he wants is to protect himself on a chance to cash in, including his number of touches in the future which he has already discussed at large.

Sone teams like the Colts, Jets, Texans and the 49ers have the need and the cap space to sign him, but why throw out so much money for a guy with that attitude?

As a Steelers fan, I agree.

He already lost $6 million by holding out. Who knows how much money he lost out for his next contract.

It will be funny if his next contract will end up being less than what the Steelers offered. And at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being the case.

Reactions: Babe Ruth

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I have not followed Leveon Bell's demands too closely. Say, he is to get traded after signing the franchise tag, could the team getting him be able to franchise tag him again in 2019-20? Or is Bell going to be a free agent. I know franchising him next year would be pointless but just wondering how his contract situation would be like next year.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Read today that Conner has four games with 100 yards+ and multiple touchdowns this season... while Bell has 3 in his entire career.

Even if it's for a 7th pick, cut your losses amd trade him before Tuesday. No way in hell is Conner going back to the bench as a back-up.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I have not followed Leveon Bell's demands too closely. Say, he is to get traded after signing the franchise tag, could the team getting him be able to franchise tag him again in 2019-20? Or is Bell going to be a free agent. I know franchising him next year would be pointless but just wondering how his contract situation would be like next year.

No, he cannot be franchised again unless it is at the QB tag which would be 20+ million. He could get transition tagged, though there is some confusion about what that tag number would be as it could be based on what he actually earned this year.

Read today that Conner has four games with 100 yards+ and multiple touchdowns this season... while Bell has 3 in his entire career.

Even if it's for a 7th pick, cut your losses amd trade him before Tuesday. No way in hell is Conner going back to the bench as a back-up.

They can't trade him until he signs. He doesn't want to be traded, so he probably won't sign until after the trade deadline.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Understood.

Has there been news of Colbert permitting teams of negotiating a contract or could they still be committed to him?

Bell can't sign a new contract at this point with anyone.

Bell can either keep holding out or sign the franchise tag contract with the Steelers.

The Steelers can do nothing until Bell signs, though they could rescind the tag at anytime and Bell would become an immediate UFA. That is very unlikely.

Bell likely signs after the trade deadline. Not sure how the team handles him from there.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Bell can't sign a new contract at this point with anyone.

Bell can either keep holding out or sign the franchise tag contract with the Steelers.

The Steelers can do nothing until Bell signs, though they could rescind the tag at anytime and Bell would become an immediate UFA. That is very unlikely.

Bell likely signs after the trade deadline. Not sure how the team handles him from there.
Biggest miss-management/ waste of opportunity in sports I can remember of since atleast the Eric Lindros in Philly days.

Thanks for the explanations

Reactions: m9

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Said in here on September 5th he was getting bad advice from him agent and it looks even worse now.

If he comes back now and gets hurt, no idea what kind of market there is for him now. Conner has exposed Bell to a large extent, especially in the running game.

Reactions: Babe Ruth

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Bell’s leverage and future contract value swirling down the drain every week Connor plays

I kinda have to disagree here. Bell's leverage with the Steelers is diminishing, but that just means they won't franchise tag him for next season, letting him become a UFA.

Some team will give Bell a UFA contract this offseason with the sort of guaranteed money he tried to get from Pittsburgh.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Some team will give Bell a UFA contract this offseason with the sort of guaranteed money he tried to get from Pittsburgh.

They will regret it.

Bell is good, possibly even very good, but he’s definitely a product of the Steelers.

Whenever’s he’s hurt or suspended or otherwise inactive, the backup comes in and does just as well. From DeAngelo Williams to James Connor.

He wants a Gurley contract but he isn’t Gurley, or anything close.

Reactions: Terry Yake

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I kinda have to disagree here. Bell's leverage with the Steelers is diminishing, but that just means they won't franchise tag him for next season, letting him become a UFA.

He wasn't going to get franchise tagged for a third time, they would have had to pay him like 25 million for 2019.

He's trading real money he will never see again to protect against injury, even though he probably could have just gotten some sort of insurance and accomplished the same thing.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
He wasn't going to get franchise tagged for a third time, they would have had to pay him like 25 million for 2019.

He's trading real money he will never see again to protect against injury, even though he probably could have just gotten some sort of insurance and accomplished the same thing.

He has until nov 13th at 4PM to sign, which he will

Jets will likely give him a big deal

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
He has until nov 13th at 4PM to sign, which he will

Jets will likely give him a big deal

Maybe.

At this point I hope when he shows up at the facility to sign, the team just rescinds their offer. He can go do what he wants. The team is out a compensatory 3rd round pick in 2020, but will gain even more cap room which can be used in future years.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Maybe.

At this point I hope when he shows up at the facility to sign, the team just rescinds their offer. He can go do what he wants. The team is out a compensatory 3rd round pick in 2020, but will gain even more cap room which can be used in future years.

Unlike the NHL, there's no soon deadline to sign and be playoff eligible.

It's week 17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad