NFL: Le'Veon Bell continues holdout - will not report in 2018

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
The guy can rot on the bench, not worth what he is requesting and if he signs a Franchise tag then this will be his last season. Good luck to ever overpays him next year.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I know week 1 is all about being overhyped, but if Bell dosn't play, does Cleveland have a shot? I would really love it if Cleveland won week 1.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
good thing i picked up james conner
Can’t pass block, not good at hitting the right hole. Both Bell’s strengths.

He showed flashes in the preseason, but folks who think Conner can replace Bell and the Steelers won’t miss a beat are sadly mistaken.

Fantasy wise though, good for you If Bell does sit some games and you got Conner late seeing as he’ll be their guy.

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
The guy can rot on the bench, not worth what he is requesting and if he signs a Franchise tag then this will be his last season. Good luck to ever overpays him next year.

No RB is worth that kind of money but I dont blame him for wanting to get paid.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
No RB is worth that kind of money but I dont blame him for wanting to get paid.
It's about term, and he has earned it.
Didn't he have the most catches in the league last season. Look what Sammy Watkins is getting. Not a steelers fan but Bell might be the best player in the league that's not named Brady.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
It's about term, and he has earned it.
Didn't he have the most catches in the league last season. Look what Sammy Watkins is getting. Not a steelers fan but Bell might be the best player in the league that's not named Brady.

That's a hot take imo. Lots of great players just on offense alone. Rodgers, AB, OBJ, Julio. And then if you want to throw in defensive guys like Donald and Ramsey.

Best RB in the league by far though.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Not surprised, suspect we wont see him till around week 4

What are the rules about his contract status? He got tagged, so there was a cutoff date, which has passed for him and the Steelers to come to a long term other, otherwise, he has no other option but to play on the Tag.

Now, if the Steelers were to cut him, I take it that makes him a free agent and he can sign anywhere for any amount?

As a RB, it's the most physical punishing skilled position. Life span is short. He's given the Steelers the 4 year rookie deal plus 1 Franchise Tag season already. Unfortunately for him, the rules are what the PA agreed to before he was drafted. Teams have the right to tag him multiple times.

Is there a deadline for him to sign the Franchise Tag contract and report? Steelers can't fine him if he's not under contract.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
That's a hot take imo. Lots of great players just on offense alone. Rodgers, AB, OBJ, Julio. And then if you want to throw in defensive guys like Donald and Ramsey.

Best RB in the league by far though.
I'll give you Rodgers but Bell is right with the rest.Probably have more catches than AB ,julio,OBJ..
There is a solid argument to be made for Bell.He signed the FT last year and was rewarded with another.Next season rolls around and what happens? If he doesn't get hurt.Most times I don't side with players but I am this time, He earned some term.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I agree he deserved to be paid. I have no problem with, especially given runningbacks shelf lives are a lot shorter than other positions, players trying to get theirs.

I think it's just a bit unrealistic to declare him as the best player in the NFL behind Brady. There's a lot of competition there.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
I agree he deserved to be paid. I have no problem with, especially given runningbacks shelf lives are a lot shorter than other positions, players trying to get theirs.

I think it's just a bit unrealistic to declare him as the best player in the NFL behind Brady. There's a lot of competition there.
There is competition and there is an argument that can be made. He F'ed himself holding out last season and reported today,last year. Not in game shape and he will be in the same boat again.
To me tagging a player like him is fine if used how it's supposed to.Buy time to make a deal,if not its a slap in the face.Now they have done it again.IDK what happens if he holds out all season and signs with another team,if that team must give two 1st.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I think Pittsburgh is smart for not paying him here. Tremendous player, but I don't think I'd ever pay an RB that kind of money.

For pure curiosity's sake i'd like to see him land with a team without the same resources that the Steelers have. Would love to see how he does behind an OLine like the Texans or Seahawks.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Why is he not worth it?

I love how people side with billionaire owners. Who instituted the artificial cap, rather than players who continue to get screwed by the league with non guaranteed “contracts”

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
As a Steelers fan, I wish they had found a way to move on this off-season. Trading him for a draft pick while signing someone like Dion Lewis to play with Conner would have been ideal and would have given them more cap flexibility on defense.

He's a great player, it's just not how I would allocate money when building a team.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Why is he not worth it?

I love how people side with billionaire owners. Who instituted the artificial cap, rather than players who continue to get screwed by the league with non guaranteed “contracts”

Guaranteed contracts screw players much more than non-guaranteed contracts. You have players who don't deserve the money using the cap space so teams are forced to underpay everyone else to offset it.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Guaranteed contracts screw players much more than non-guaranteed contracts. You have players who don't deserve the money using the cap space so teams are forced to underpay everyone else to offset it.
Caps. Are. Instituted. By. owners.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I'm all for players getting their money. Cap goes up every year. Teams are loaded. Pay the talent that put butts in the seat. Nobody comes to see a bunch of rich dudes sit in luxury boxes.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
As a Steelers fan, I wish they had found a way to move on this off-season. Trading him for a draft pick while signing someone like Dion Lewis to play with Conner would have been ideal and would have given them more cap flexibility on defense.

He's a great player, it's just not how I would allocate money when building a team.
I doubt Bell would return a 1st or 2nd round pick. With his salary demands, it reduces what teams are willing to give up. I'd think Pitt could have gotten between a 3rd or 4th round pick for him.

The Steelers didn't have to tag him. If this is a headache for them, they could have let him walk and sign with another team. But, they knew full well that he wouldn't be happy playing on another FT. No player would, especially not in such a physically punishing position like RB. It's as much on them as it is on Bell. They could have done what Carolina did with Norman and rescinded the tag if they couldn't finalize a deal before the deadline to get a long term deal done, and let Bell walk. Then they could have moved on and not expected him to be on the roster.

IMO, Bell will report, but he's going to make the Steelers pay for not giving him a contract with term and guaranteed money. He'll sign the deal at the last minute. Doubt he passes up $850k a game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->