NFL: Le'Veon Bell continues holdout - will not report in 2018

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Bell was set to make what like 14M this year on the tag? Normally I am all for the players and what not, but he's being a little selfish. If he wants to be the highest paid player he needs to play every game.

I think he wants security more than anything. He's got 3-4 seasons left of peak play and he wants to secure his financial future -- what if he plays tomorrow and breaks hi leg? He'll lose all kinds of money. RBs are usually done by 30-32, he just wants to get what he earned as this is going to be his only chance at doing so.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I think he wants security more than anything. He's got 3-4 seasons left of peak play and he wants to secure his financial future -- what if he plays tomorrow and breaks hi leg? He'll lose all kinds of money. RBs are usually done by 30-32, he just wants to get what he earned as this is going to be his only chance at doing so.

I don't blame him at all. Have to wonder what his objective this season is though since he isn't allowed to play under anything other then the franchise tag amount this season. The July 1st deadline to negotiate a deal has long since passed.

Is he going to wait until week 10 to report? Is he trying to pressure the Steelers to some sort of non-enforceable agreement on an extension or usage time?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I don't blame him at all. Have to wonder what his objective this season is though since he isn't allowed to play under anything other then the franchise tag amount this season. The July 1st deadline to negotiate a deal has long since passed.

Is he going to wait until week 10 to report? Is he trying to pressure the Steelers to some sort of non-enforceable agreement on an extension or usage time?
Mainly to conserve his body. Risk $8.5 million if he misses the most he can but still report to earn a year towards free agency, thus playing out year 2 of the tag, so that if the Steelers opt to tag him again next season, it would cost them a super insane amount and thus they won't do it.

The best back that is older than Bell is McCoy, who has played 4 more years. McCoy is at 2,600 touches. Bell is around 1,600 so far. Given what he would normally get, he'd pass McCoy within 3 years. So, you can see he's on pace to take more of a beating than McCoy in 1 less year of action.

It might also get personal to the point that Bell doesn't care if the Steelers win the SB this year. By, not playing the Steelers likely make the playoffs and win their division, but are they good enough to get a bye? Thus in week 2 of the playoffs they have to go on the road.

That's the balance the Steelers organization had to weigh was salary cap implications/risk versus a happy player who is buying into the team. They made their decision and now they have to deal with it. They probably didn't think Bell would miss a cheque. Likely expected him to skip OTAs, camp and pre-season, but be ready for the regular season like last year. Bell, said no, not again, not going to do a 400 plus touch season if you plan on dumping me afterwards.

Reactions: Voight

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
I'm surprised how little money he's actually made in his career thus far [grossed somewhere around 16 million]

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'm surprised how little money he's actually made in his career thus far [grossed somewhere around 16 million]
He was a 2nd round pick and they get around $1 million per on their 4 year rookie deal. Then add the $12 million tag last season, so 5 years at $16 million is his number.

Kareem Hunt, Alvin Kamara, Dalvin Cook are going to all get under $5 million for their 4 year rookie deal. That's why the tag hurts the RB position. Life span of a RB is anywhere from 7-9 years. McCoy still going into year 10 as a feature back. That's why RB need to hit free agency and secure a big 2nd contract. Not going to get a 3rd one.

Reactions: Clowe Me and Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
He was a 2nd round pick and they get around $1 million per on their 4 year rookie deal. Then add the $12 million tag last season, so 5 years at $16 million is his number.

Kareem Hunt, Alvin Kamara, Dalvin Cook are going to all get under $5 million for their 4 year rookie deal. That's why the tag hurts the RB position. Life span of a RB is anywhere from 7-9 years. McCoy still going into year 10 as a feature back. That's why RB need to hit free agency and secure a big 2nd contract. Not going to get a 3rd one.

Exactly.

MJD, Foster, DeMarco Murray and Jamaal Charles are all guys who were done by 30. Look at Charles specifically, all it took was 1 injury for his career to basically end and at no point did he ever have a long term contract (aside from his rookie deal).

You get the anomalies like Frank Gore who are still workhorses in their mid 30's but its very rare.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Exactly.

MJD, Foster, DeMarco Murray and Jamaal Charles are all guys who were done by 30. Look at Charles specifically, all it took was 1 injury for his career to basically end and at no point did he ever have a long term contract (aside from his rookie deal).

You get the anomalies like Frank Gore who are still workhorses in their mid 30's but its very rare.

Charles had multiple knee injuries.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I can respect a guy trying to get his money, especially at a rough position like RB. Bell is starting to look like a huge dick in this situation.

He posted a tweet today (the "lookie here" type emoji thing) after they tied Cleveland. Makes you look really petty when the guy who replaced you went for a buck thirty and a TD. As if it's somehow his fault.

I kinda wanna see the Steelers stick it to him because of his ego. If they can string together a couple good games from Conner it's gonna get real interesting.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
There’s a point where you need to be mature and just let it be. But that’s how he is.

DJ getting extended likely didn’t make him feel any better.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Looks like Bell has a wish to end up with the Colts.

He's been liking pics on Instagram, Pat Macafee and Eric Ebron have noticed and trying to convince him.

This has been going on for months.

The fit makes sense though - they have the cap space and a need at RB. Bell is also an amazing pass blocker and would help protect Luck.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I'm a bit surprised. I honestly thought what happened with Earl Thomas, Bell was gonna turn around and go "see, that's why!" and just dig his heels in further. Almost seems counterproductive to come back with that in mind.

Good on him though. If you handle it professionally, they might actually give you what you want.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
If Bell is gonna be upset with anyone it should be with the Players Union who negotiated these franchise tags and non guaranteed contracts.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I'm a bit surprised. I honestly thought what happened with Earl Thomas, Bell was gonna turn around and go "see, that's why!" and just dig his heels in further. Almost seems counterproductive to come back with that in mind.

Good on him though. If you handle it professionally, they might actually give you what you want.

doesn't he have to play x amount of games to reach free agency or this whole shenanigans would roll over to next year?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
doesn't he have to play x amount of games to reach free agency or this whole shenanigans would roll over to next year?

Yes, if he sits out the year they can give him the same tag again.

The tricky part now is will be with the transition tag - the Steelers can still use that and they can match any offer to him in the offseason.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I think from his prospective he'll still be able to play/show teams hes still elite while not putting another 16 games of wear and tear on his body.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I think from his prospective he'll still be able to play/show teams hes still elite while not putting another 16 games of wear and tear on his body.

That is definitely his plan, we'll see if it works. If he gets traded and needs to learn a new system and doesn't have the Steelers OL, this whole thing could prove very costly for him.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I think he's the best RB in the game, but he f***ed this up royally. No one is going to utilize him to the extent that the Steelers do, and Conner's play has definitely dropped his value.

Reactions: m9

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Exactly.

That's cause Frank Gore is a hofer as a player and a person.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I think he's the best RB in the game, but he ****ed this up royally. No one is going to utilize him to the extent that the Steelers do, and Conner's play has definitely dropped his value.
Nah, he'll get paid.

Earl Thomas would, too, but who knows how his injury will change his next deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad