Lets talk about William Nylander.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Notice that Boston does not even bother to rough up or even defend Nylander. They pegged him as a non-factor.

Nylander made himself a non factor. Nylander is hiding from all the tough areas of the ice. After 10 mins of the first game, I sensed his fear. Nylander I dont care how people want to spin it and defend him but Nylander has quit on this team. No ambition, No resistance in puck battles, no passion, scared to carry the puck for fear of paying the price. Nylander is passive and seems to be perfectly content losing this series. Does anything fire Nylander up?

Babcock, Shanahan, Lamarello, his team-mates have NO CLUE what version of Nylander will show up in Game 6. Thats a fact.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Nylander made himself a non factor. Nylander is hiding from all the tough areas of the ice. After 10 mins of the first game, I sensed his fear. Nylander I dont care how people want to spin it and defend him but Nylander has quit on this team. No ambition, No resistance in puck battles, no passion, scared to carry the puck for fear of paying the price. Nylander is passive and seems to be perfectly content losing this series. Does anything fire Nylander up?

Babcock, Shanahan, Lamarello, his team-mates have NO CLUE what version of Nylander will show up in Game 6. Thats a fact.

Maybe it was all a scheme and he plans to show up big in Gm 6 and 7. Seriously though, sure he has been a bit disappointing but he is 21 with b2b 61PT seasons. If he is a disappearing act in the Playoffs at age 25 then I will start worrying. I for one, don't believe he has dragged our team down in any way, he has just been a non-factor.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Self preservation is evident, he has played at a very high level on the world stage throughout his career. This brand of hockey is not to his liking! Probably watching Mitch take a beating and said 'feck that'
Most youngsters are cautious when facing Zed ! It's common throughout the league.
He might come around yet though,good pedigree. I'm sure his dad will offer some advice!

Reactions: Duke16

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I think the posters here, particularly the Nylander supporters, are overly sensive about Brown's move into Mathews line over Willy.
Really? Almost all think it was a good move, including me.

After 10 mins of the first game, I sensed his fear. Nylander I dont care how people want to spin it and defend him but Nylander has quit on this team.
I mean, if you want people to take your opinion seriously, saying that you sense his emotions is not the way to go. Nobody will believe that you are a jedi. As for the I don't care-part, that's what people say when they have a predetermined agenda. Otherwise you are open to hear what people have to say, in case they bring up something good.

Reactions: Menzinger

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
Honestly I think a lot of folks with strong opinions against Willy probably pegged him as 'soft' or a 'pretty boy' right from draft day when he showed up with the baby face and wavy hair. You can see this mindset come out in posts around here whenever someone says something like 'if he cared as much about winning puck battles as he does about his hair...' or whatever. Those people have already made their mind up about Willy and seem to resent him.

I think he'll grow out of that image over time and will get stronger and tougher with age. He'll never be a wrecking ball like Kadri but he's not going to be a pushover either.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
The reality is Nylander has not been a factor in this series. But to be fair to him he is 21 years old playing against one of the toughest and best defensive teams in the league. He is not using his speed enough and not getting to the inside enough.

The kid has tons of skill at a young age, he is one of the most exciting young players in the league. No reason to give up on him, nothing we get in a trade for him will be nearly as good as he is at such a young age. Your not gonna get a 21 year old D man with that much talent anywhere except the draft. The kid is having a bad series for what we expect from him, but hes 21 and maybe if we do make it past the bruins by some miracle he will step it up in round 2. We have seen many super stars over the years have a scoreless series and then light up the next one. No need to panic on one of our brightest stars.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Really? Almost all think it was a good move, including me.

I mean, if you want people to take your opinion seriously, saying that you sense his emotions is not the way to go. Nobody will believe that you are a jedi. As for the I don't care-part, that's what people say when they have a predetermined agenda. Otherwise you are open to hear what people have to say, in case they bring up something good.

Saying that someone has an "agenda" because they cannot understand why a leaf fan doesn't care for a certain player is becoming common around here. Yet nobody states what that agenda is. What agenda do people have? They wanted someone else in the draft? They hate people born in Western Canada (Calgary)? They hate Michael Nylander? An agenda against blondes?

What agenda?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Saying that someone has an "agenda" because they cannot understand why a leaf fan doesn't care for a certain player is becoming common around here. Yet nobody states what that agenda is. What agenda do people have? They wanted someone else in the draft? They hate people born in Western Canada (Calgary)? They hate Michael Nylander? An agenda against blondes?

What agenda?

This place is becoming hilarious... Agendas, Appeal to authority, conspiracy theory. Fake news mentions.

Can't it just be an individuals opinion? I think the last game may have had foul play with the officials. So what. It seemed strange and I want to know more.

You can't form opinions around here or certain attack dog posters call you names, its amusing I keep posting and getting it right, just dancing flaunting that crap in their faces. Right in the face. The face, yeah... The face lol

Reactions: The Cobra

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
My only agenda these days in regards to hockey is to stop Hughson/Simpson from calling leaf games. I will carry on, but it seems like a lot hockey fans appreciate them. Even if it's an uphill battle, I carry on...

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
I wonder how much it would take to get Alexander Nylander. I'd bet that would benefit him greatly. We could get our own exact version of the Sedins (A playmaking C with chemistry with a good shooting winger).

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Saying that someone has an "agenda" because they cannot understand why a leaf fan doesn't care for a certain player
That's not what I said. I said that only people who are not intellectually honest about a topic would say that they have no interest in other peoples arguments. Reading comprehension, my friend.

For example, I'm on the opposite side of this discussion. I welcome disagreement, and listen to others. @WILDLIFEGUY recently corrected me when I said Nylander went PPG towards the end of last season. I welcomed that. Why? Because his information helped me have a more informed opinion. By saying "I don't care what other people say" in a situation like that, you basically say that you are more interested in how you want things to be than reality. It would be as if I said "Well, I don't care that it's not actually true that Willy went PPG last year, I prefer to think so anyway."

So it has nothing to do with picking sides. It's about whether you care about an objective truth.

Last edited:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Nylander got switched out for Brownie and Connor immediately took advantage of that opportunity.

I am one of the few that prefers Brown with Matthews because it makes Matthews work harder. Every single time I watch that Hyman Matthews Brown line Matthews is moving hard. I think Kapanen would be a great fit as well but it's a good thing.

Nylander needs another gear or to C for perhaps Marner but if Kadri gets Marner thats fine as well (this is going forward not this season) I think Nylander is a smart good player that tends to get lazy and not use energy to overcome obstacles.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Doesn’t sound like a guy whose disinterested in helping his team win to me.

And while I’ll be the first to agree he’s looked lacklustre for the bulk of gisnseries I also can’t help but wonder if some folks are falling back into the trap of conflating playing like a grinder with having “heart”

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I usually wonder whether I watch the same game as everyone else. His line has carried the flow of play through 5 games, and he's been up against wicked competition.

Yet everyone thinks Pleks has done great, despite the fact that he has a 44% xGF, 40% CF, and has gotten basically permanently pinned by the Bruins in the defensive zone.

PDO has y'all fooled.

They each have 1 primary point. They have both been deployed nearly identically.

It’s that eye test flaw.

Camera hangs on a player making a big hit or having a particularly memorable puck battle in the corner and it leaves an impression with the viewer the whole game, regardless if the player plays like ineffective rubbish for the rest of the time.

Last game was a perfect example - Nylander didn’t get on the scoreboard yet for the most part had a quietly effective game, made smart plays, controlled the puck well. By no big hit so he let the team down in some folks eyes.

Reactions: ZEBROA

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009

Doesn’t sound like a guy whose disinterested in helping his team win to me.

And while I’ll be the first to agree he’s looked lacklustre for the bulk of gisnseries I also can’t help but wonder if some folks are falling back into the trap of conflating playing like a grinder with having “heart”

Nylander plays with his head and hands. When chances don't develop it gives off the impression the player is useless.

I prefer the play to die on the boards than having wild passes like Brown's that send an odd-man rush the other way.

Reactions: Menzinger

veemha

Jun 24, 2016
First post here!

I usually just lurk in the shadows and read comments but I thought I'd join in.

Willie's confidence is low right now but he's playing hockey. His game isn't lacklustre, but he's just reading it differently. When things go his way it'll go his way. I feel as though people saying he's playing with no "heart" because he's not being Zach Hyman and digging in corners. You can't overcommit, you have to let it come to you. It'll come and when it does everyone will love Willie again.

Reactions: ZEBROA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad