OT: Lets talk about stocks (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I put money in XEQT, it is spread out of a ridiculous amount of different Ishares funds. VEQT is the Vanguard equivalent. Looked at ZEB, BMO Canadian Bank ETF, but went the XDIV for Banks, and some Energy in there as well.
1. Model Portfolios | Canadian Couch Potato

I prefer Vanguards because they are a bit more diversified and include a little bit more stocks, but you can't go wrong with Blackrock or Vanguard broad all-cap worldwide indices.

Depending of your age, risk tolerance, etc. I would look into VEQT and go down a bit in terms of stocks allocation if you prefer less volatility/risk. But I would not go lower than 60% stocks if I were you. The bigger your stock allocation, the higher your long term returns should be.

If you want ESG investments, I believe Blackrock has a line of product for that. A bit higher MER and obviously they own a smaller amount of stocks vs. the total market funds, but they're a nice alternative if you want your investments to take those factors into the equasion.

Personally, I also really like QXM and XMD. QXM is a Québec index, and XMD is a Canadian mid cap index, which includes a lot of QXM companies. But obviously you don't get a lot of geographical diversification with those two.

If you want to invest a bit in bitcoin, I suggest BITC, which is a carbon neutral Bitcoin ETF. But don't invest more than you're ready to lose.

2. Track Your Spending on the Go with the Best Budget Apps in Canada

Thanks for the answers guys.

Reactions: QuebecPride

L2L Squared

Jun 25, 2021
I bought Stingray, Corus, Slate Grocer and Northwest health... Small amounts but spread out nicely for dividend growth. I am reinvesting the dividend also. So im getting nice return..

Vern

Dec 9, 2013
Montreal area crypto miner Bitfarms bitf is ripping lately. Good pr, btc rally and legislative catalysts all at once. 6x avg volume on nasdaq today.

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
What a week for gambling/I gaming stocks!

I have unfortunately a very non diversified portfolio at the moment with a huge portion of it covering gambling.

$SCR and $GNOG being bought out just made my year. I had a feeling they would all be acquired, now just waiting on $RSI to be bought out and I had my best ever year in stocks!

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
What a week for gambling/I gaming stocks!

I have unfortunately a very non diversified portfolio at the moment with a huge portion of it covering gambling.

$SCR and $GNOG being bought out just made my year. I had a feeling they would all be acquired, now just waiting on $RSI to be bought out and I had my best ever year in stocks!

Good for you :thumbu:

Reactions: canucklover123

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
What do you guys think of Sundial? It is back under .70 cents. Has near a billion dollars in cash. Won't take much good news to spike that like crazy.

Last winter I doubled my money on SNDL in a couple of months.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
A carbon neutral Bitcoin? DIdn't know there was such a creature. Since it takes the energy to power NYC to mine one bitcoin

It's the fund that's carbon neutral. They buy carbon credits with part of the management fee, to offset the bitcoin pollution. And the fees are not more expensive than the other bitcoin funds.

Ninepoint_Carbon_Offset_Diagram.svg

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
A carbon neutral Bitcoin? DIdn't know there was such a creature. Since it takes the energy to power NYC to mine one bitcoin

That is categorically false. I would be happy to elaborate on the why aspect of that, if you are at all curious to learn.

For reference, I've been working (non full-time) on btc and a variety of derivatives since 2012.

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
It's great to be back in the Positive in general.

There is some Crypto project I wished I invested more and some less or not at all :)

Best
getting into DOT around 13-14$ but only bought 5 :)
ADA, already got my cashback, but only 200 left.

worst
- Converting my ADA (before 2.5X) to OMI (before 75% drop)
- getting into pancakebunny. thankfully. It's a really negligible investment

For stocks, I'm reducing my risks. I sold SCR for some gains, converted it to HDIV. It's a high dividend (8.5% target) ETF that covers 7 sectors. It's a brand new one (1 month old)

Reactions: covfefe

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
how do you know which NFT to buy?

I check opensea.io for fun. but didn't invest anything yet

Been seeing what people are hyped about on twitter. I have been sticking with Solana NFTs as they are cheaper, faster to flip and the fees are way less. Bit less of a risk too. I go on solanart.io and look for good deals on apes, punks, etc... They hype is very high at the moment.

Reactions: the and llamateizer

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
That is categorically false. I would be happy to elaborate on the why aspect of that, if you are at all curious to learn.

For reference, I've been working (non full-time) on btc and a variety of derivatives since 2012.
Kind of like to see your work yup. lol

Since New York City runs on 6 gigawatts of electricity. According to University of Cambridge Center for Alternative Finance. Bitcoin mining sucks up between 8 gigawatts and 15 gigawatts. According to how it is mined. To put it into perspective for you, the nation of Belgium runs on 10 gigawatts.

To mine a single bitcoin, miners must feed their machines 150,000 kwh. Which would run 170 average USA homes for a month.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I would like to branch out into something like this. Been thinking about getting in on next short squeeze. Like AMC or GME in past

It is sort of a squeeze type situation right now. Some of the bigger tokens are insanely expensive, like 6 figures expensive. I think NFTs will gain in popularity and they will come up with applications for them that will end up making them useful. At that point, the meme NFTs today will be in demand due to nostalgia.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
All my stocks doing great... Holy crap on EGLX though. Just can’t go green. That’s my one miss so far. And it looks like the CEO is in some kind of scandal.

Not good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad