OT: Lets talk about stocks (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
So you're betting that the stock will remain in a narrow band of prices, is that it?

Yep, as long as the price remains below $70 at the end of the week, I keep the premiums and the stock. And even if it does, with the premiums I'm getting I can afford to buy back the shares at a price up to $76 without losing anything, if I so choose.

Selling covered calls is the best. You get money for buying and holding.

Reactions: llamateizer

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Yep, as long as the price remains below $70 at the end of the week, I keep the premiums and the stock. And even if it does, with the premiums I'm getting I can afford to buy back the shares at a price up to $76 without losing anything, if I so choose.

Selling covered calls is the best. You get money for buying and holding.

It's somewhat risky to my liking because you're betting against volatility in a highly volatile stock, but good for you if it works man. :thumbu:

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
It's somewhat risky to my liking because you're betting against volatility in a highly volatile stock, but good for you if it works man. :thumbu:

Well, even if it sells at $70, I'm looking at a huge profit per contract anyway. It's not likely this thing is going to blast past $76 by the end of the week.

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
$OMI is getting some heats for the last few days. up from 0.002 to 0.0039

Still at major loss, but it's good wiping out some losses.
Sold a few hoping to buy back at lower price (if ever) .

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Bump to my fave thread.

Added to my positions in VFV and AQN recently. Went from 18% to 12% cash this past week. Thought being….although there has to be a correction in the near future, would be stupid to have cash on the sidelines and miss 5-10%+ in the interim. So go markets go.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Next few weeks crypto should be fascinating. If BTC loses support at 30k lookout.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Next few weeks crypto should be fascinating. If BTC loses support at 30k lookout.

I keep adding a little in Ethereum, but I'm not putting a dime more in Bitcoin.

Had a pretty good return in a few weeks with the CSN Fondaction. I invested early June, and since they report the new price at the end of June, got a 12% return in one month, on top of the RRSP tax deduction.

Too bad the FTQ don't allow discretionary investments this year.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Growth stocks are a huge deal right now (on sale). Inflation in the US was inflated (ha ha) by used car numbers, which is transitory. Whether it turns into a deflationary market as per Cathie Wood or not, it should rebound in short-term and growth stocks will ... grow.

Last edited:

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Some were on sale but most quality stuff is at ATH’s or ridiculous valuations. What do you feel is cheap right now?

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal

I won't be mad if it goes below. It's accumulation time.
I DCA in BTC and ETH regardless of the price for the last two months.

No stress , lower the average accumulate.

I keep adding a little in Ethereum, but I'm not putting a dime more in Bitcoin.

Had a pretty good return in a few weeks with the CSN Fondaction. I invested early June, and since they report the new price at the end of June, got a 12% return in one month, on top of the RRSP tax deduction.

Too bad the FTQ don't allow discretionary investments this year.

Nice gains.
For comparaison with my work retirement
1 year = 26% compared to 22%
3 years = 13% compared to 9%

I invested some money in higher risk portfolio with the matched contribution
I put 4% the employer put 4% too

It's easy free money.

Reactions: QuebecPride

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Nice gains.
For comparaison with my work retirement
1 year = 26% compared to 22%
3 years = 13% compared to 9%

I invested some money in higher risk portfolio with the matched contribution
I put 4% the employer put 4% too

It's easy free money.

Nice, getting the mtached contribution is one of the best financial move one can do. It's literally free money.

I recalculated and it's not 12% for the CSN, but 9%. Still pretty good for 3 weeks :)

Reactions: llamateizer

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Hey guys,

I had two questions.

1. I was wondering which low cost (like Vanguard/iShares) ETFs people would suggest. I'm talking very long term (i.e. retirement money) investing.

2. Does anyone have an expense tracker app they would recommend (that links to bank accounts for easier tracking). I've always done it myself through Excel but it was painstakingly long to do.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Hey guys,

I had two questions.

1. I was wondering which low cost (like Vanguard/iShares) ETFs people would suggest. I'm talking very long term (i.e. retirement money) investing.

2. Does anyone have an expense tracker app they would recommend (that links to bank accounts for easier tracking). I've always done it myself through Excel but it was painstakingly long to do.
I put all of my safe money in zsp, bmo's s&p index fund, hedged to cad. I'm honestly not sure what is better for index funds for Canadian investors but if cad goes up against the usd I don't fare as well as the s&p.

It's basically a bet for the financial world as we know it, (with America at the center/hub) to continue till I retire. If the s&p is strong, the usd is strong, my cad hedge is great.

Just look up some s&p index funds, they're basically all interchangeable as far as costs go, you just have to decide on hedged vs unhedged

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
What are you favorite stocks ? Mine are: TSLA, SE, SQ, SHOP.
My most hated stock: NKLA, AMC

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
What are you favorite stocks ? Mine are: TSLA, SE, SQ, SHOP.
My most hated stock: NKLA, AMC

I'm not into growth stock since I lack experience and risk management + trying to get heavy in BTC/ETH
Heavily investing in Dividend stocks

but got in SCR (and out yesterday), HUT8

I've been looking at TSLA for the last year or so
never got in
Almost fomo'd when it was 850 :)

My worst non move
Almost got in at 580. Could've converted my 15% gains of T (AT&T) in it.
since then T lost 15% and TSLA won 22% :D

But in general I was in heavy loss last few months.
Managed to lower my average and erased almost all of it.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
How is everyone feeling about SQ? Seems a little volatile for my tastes. Huge swings up and down lately.

I don’t have any fintech. I’m okay with moderate risk, where does SQ fall?

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
Hey guys,

I had two questions.

I put money in XEQT, it is spread out of a ridiculous amount of different Ishares funds. VEQT is the Vanguard equivalent. Looked at ZEB, BMO Canadian Bank ETF, but went the XDIV for Banks, and some Energy in there as well.

Reactions: Hope Of Glory

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
BTC/ETH/GME make up over 90% of my portfolio and I’ve never felt better about it. When Bitcoin was dropping to 37500~ I bought the dip 6 times thinking it was finally at the bottom. Cheap coins, may never be able to buy at that price again.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Hey guys,

I had two questions.

1. Model Portfolios | Canadian Couch Potato

I prefer Vanguards because they are a bit more diversified and include a little bit more stocks, but you can't go wrong with Blackrock or Vanguard broad all-cap worldwide indices.

Depending of your age, risk tolerance, etc. I would look into VEQT and go down a bit in terms of stocks allocation if you prefer less volatility/risk. But I would not go lower than 60% stocks if I were you. The bigger your stock allocation, the higher your long term returns should be.

If you want ESG investments, I believe Blackrock has a line of product for that. A bit higher MER and obviously they own a smaller amount of stocks vs. the total market funds, but they're a nice alternative if you want your investments to take those factors into the equasion.

Personally, I also really like QXM and XMD. QXM is a Québec index, and XMD is a Canadian mid cap index, which includes a lot of QXM companies. But obviously you don't get a lot of geographical diversification with those two.

If you want to invest a bit in bitcoin, I suggest BITC, which is a carbon neutral Bitcoin ETF. But don't invest more than you're ready to lose.

2. Track Your Spending on the Go with the Best Budget Apps in Canada

Conflicted Habs fan

"Beauty will save the world" - Dostoyevsky
Sponsor
Nov 23, 2011
Montreal
Speculative short term gain altcoins XRP and ETH. Made x5 when bought low, XRP is low again. Put most into ETF's: NEE and FNV, and they're slowly going up. Long term investment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->